Recommend
44 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shuffling the discard pile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi folks,

Apparently there has been a lot of discussion about when you shuffle your discard pile. I'm not a Magic player so I was not aware of the subtle nuances to timing. My personal preference is for the least gamey solution, therefore, I would like to change the rule to :

'you shuffle the discard pile to make a new draw pile at the time that you need to draw cards.If you play a home support card this card would not be placed on to the discard pile until after you have refreshed the draw pile.'

Hope that helps clear matters up.

Martin
50 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:
Hi folks,

Apparently there has been a lot of discussion about when you shuffle your discard pile. I'm not a Magic player so I was not aware of the subtle nuances to timing. My personal preference is for the least gamey solution, therefore, I would like to change the rule to :

'you shuffle the discard pile to make a new draw pile at the time that you need to draw cards.If you play a home support card this card would not be placed on to the discard pile until after you have refreshed the draw pile.'

Hope that helps clear matters up.

Martin


Great! Thanks, Martin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good, Martin, and as I have never played Magic et al, I intuitively played already like you suggest.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sternenfahrer-MUC wrote:
Very good, Martin, and as I have never played Magic et al, I intuitively played already like you suggest.


Really it's Dominion not Magic that is the comparison. You usually lose when your draw deck runs out in Magic, you don't reshuffle.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Frog1 wrote:
Hope that helps clear matters up.

Indeed it does. That's perfect.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Martin. We were also already playing this way (incorrectly) due to being used to playing Dominion and other deck building games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LeBouffon LeBouffon
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry in advance for my poor English...

Is this rule still ok or not ? (page 4, § Playing the game) :

As soon as your draw deck is exhausted you shuffle your discard pile and place it face down to form a new draw deck


In my point of view, this rule was sufficient to explain the Home support case.
The only precision to add would be :
- when you play a card, you discard it only when all the effects of the card are resolved

If not, the new rule would contradict it (that makes confused) and it will change some little things like :
- you now can play the Intendant with all the cards in the discard pile (no card in the deck)
- if there remain 3 cards in the deck and you play Home support, you don't shuffle the discard pile before discard the Home support



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Martin.

Alan
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeBouffon wrote:
Sorry in advance for my poor English...

Is this rule still ok or not ? (page 4, § Playing the game) :

As soon as your draw deck is exhausted you shuffle your discard pile and place it face down to form a new draw deck


In my point of view, this rule was sufficient to explain the Home support case.
The only precision to add would be :
- when you play a card, you discard it only when all the effects of the card are resolved

If not, the new rule would contradict it (that makes confused) and it will change some little things like :
- you now can play the Intendant with all the cards in the discard pile (no card in the deck)
- if there remain 3 cards in the deck and you play Home support, you don't shuffle the discard pile before discard the Home support


I believe the intent is to change the rulebook. Essentially Martin had a choice between compatibility and simplicity and chose the latter. Yes, it slightly helps the Intendant, may make your military purchases turn up slightly faster and so on. But with emphasis on slightly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:

Does the Home Support card come into play tapped?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting. This will weaken 6-8 card decks, which would use the immediate reshuffle to get home support onto the draw pile, alone, while cards used subsequently would go into the discard, thus ensuring that so long as you drew one card, you could draw them all next turn.

My gut feeling is that this will hurt the French a lot more than the British, but I'll have to try it a few times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Indeed it does. That's perfect.


devil

goo

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So to be absolutely clear - which is it?

1. "As soon as the draw deck is empty" (as Dearlove quoted the rules from Le Bouffon's his post) or...

2. "At the time that you need to draw cards" (as Martin stated at the beginning of this thread)?

I assume #2 is the now correct statement - Martin is changing the wording of the rule book.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
So to be absolutely clear - which is it?

2
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
So to be absolutely clear - which is it?

1. "As soon as the draw deck is empty" (as Dearlove quoted the rules from Le Bouffon's his post) or...

2. "At the time that you need to draw cards" (as Martin stated at the beginning of this thread)?

I assume #2 is the now correct statement - Martin is changing the wording of the rule book.


Yes. The FAQ will be updated to match, once I also have a Trois Riveres answer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does the Home Support card come into play tapped?


Only beer kegs come into the game already tapped.

goo

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
So to be absolutely clear - which is it?

1. "As soon as the draw deck is empty" (as Dearlove quoted the rules from Le Bouffon's his post) or...

2. "At the time that you need to draw cards" (as Martin stated at the beginning of this thread)?

I assume #2 is the now correct statement - Martin is changing the wording of the rule book.


Frank, I understand your need to ask the question, so what follows is not a knock or criticism.

Even after rulebooks and FAQ's, intelligent players still have intelligent questions. Let's not pretend this does not happen, and let's not knock people when the ask.

goo

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Frank Hamrick wrote:
So to be absolutely clear - which is it?

1. "As soon as the draw deck is empty" (as Dearlove quoted the rules from Le Bouffon's his post) or...

2. "At the time that you need to draw cards" (as Martin stated at the beginning of this thread)?

I assume #2 is the now correct statement - Martin is changing the wording of the rule book.


Frank, I understand your need to ask the question, so what follows is not a knock or criticism.

Even after rulebooks and FAQ's, intelligent players still have intelligent questions. Let's not pretend this does not happen, and let's not knock people when the ask.

goo



While true, "HATERS GONNA HATE"

and arguers are going to argue...

laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.