Peter D
Belgium
Hove
flag msg tools
badge
Game Over Man, Game Over!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I need your advice. I'm looking for a game to play with someone who isn't really interested in board games. He is a big fan of B-movies, horror and science-fiction.

So I thought the best way to ease him into playing a game would be by searching something with a zombie-theme or a B-movie-type of game

I'm looking for semthing not too heavy, without complex rules.

Games I am currently looking at:

- Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
- Betrayal at House on the Hill

There are a dozens of zombie-games out there. Any other recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game or Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game. Both use the same game system and fit the criteria you specified perfectly. Plus, LNOE is the best Zombie game IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
The real photographs in those two games are specifically designed to imitate B-Movies.

I'm a fan of MST3K and B-Movies myself, so I'm somewhat of an expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's the B-Movie series of card games by Z-Man.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/B-Movie_Series#
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Monsters Menace America and Monster Mayhem are two others that emulate B movies.

Not as popular as the already mentioned games, they still cover the B movie genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think King of Tokyo might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Who?
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mmm, beer...
badge
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
mbmbmbmbmb
soiledshortz wrote:
LNOE is the best Zombie game IMHO.

Fellow Belgian, boardgame-lover _and_ b-movie enthousiast here! I can concur: LNOE is the game you're looking for.

I also have Betrayal, yet find that one a bit too daunting/dull to really win over non-boardgamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How come you guys forgot to mention THE zombie-B-movie game: Zombies!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Perturabo wrote:

Because it's way too long and fiddly for "someone who isn't really interested in board games"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
for sci-fi you might try, 'Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident' which is a solo game that can be played co-op. Or 'Rescue from the Hive' when you just have to be the alien bug out to destroy humans!

both out of print, but available all over the net. ...have fun

edit: upon further review apparently 'Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident' has become relatively rare and is drawing big $$ on ebay. It's a fun game, but I wouldn't recommend at $50+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth!..Hard to find though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin Bites! perhaps? or Nightmare or it's dvd version. The VHS has that sweet cheesy 90's feel though. Keep in mind you must still have a VCR though. (Nightmare is the reason I still own one. That and the unchanged original star wars VHS tapes I own.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo has a great B-movie feel and is very simple and fast.

Also, Zombies!!! is another great B-movie game that doesn't get much love here because of its randomness and take-that elements, but for a beer & pretzels game, is one of the best things you can have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe that no one has mentioned (until now) Conquest of Planet Earth ... It absolutely fills the bill ... was inspired by science fiction movies of the 50's ... is easy and fun to play ... and can be played cooperatively or competitively. Check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
A little further afield but may appeal to any movie buff is
Dream Factory where you bid for actors and directors to put on movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grave Robbers From Outer Space

Mall of Horror

It's Alive!

Fearsome Floors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Perturabo wrote:

Because it's way too long and fiddly for "someone who isn't really interested in board games"?

I don't see your point. Handling some zombie miniatures plus health and ammo counters and a few cards is too fiddly? Then what are the other games suggested here, like Last Night on Earth or Betrayal at House on the Hill? Well organized gateway games?

"Too long" is highly subjective and depends very much on who you are playing this game with. I made once the mistake to play it with some guys mainly interested in euros. The game was incredibly boring and felt exactly the way you described it. Never again. Eventually I played it with a group of rpg-players and b-movie-fans. And it was great fun.

All of these games have a very specific audience, and if you are not part of it or not interested in getting into the theme every single game of this genre will sooner or later become a pain to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Perturabo wrote:
russ wrote:
Perturabo wrote:

I don't see your point. Handling some zombie miniatures plus health and ammo counters and a few cards is too fiddly?

Lots of cards with unique text/actions, often unclear and requiring creative interpretation of the ambiguous text. Frustratingly needlessly unclear ambiguous art on the map tiles that makes the map topology unclear. Life and bullet counters are printed with the same identical white back, and they get tossed around a lot and end up on the wrong side.

I agree the core rules are not too complex, but my experience of the Zombies!!! (and I'm not alone in this) was that it dragged on way too long (we finally quit after a few hours).

Hmm, wait a minute: I see you are linking to the 2nd edition of Zombies!!! while I played the 1st edition. I see the 2nd edition has "revised rules" and apparently some different / redone art...? Perhaps many of these issues have been fixed...? If so, great!

Quote:
All of these games have a very specific audience, and if you are not part of it or not interested in getting into the theme every single game of this genre will sooner or later become a pain to play.

FWIW I've played and enjoyed some other "B-movie type games" in this thread, by the way. I even suggested one in an earlier comment.

So I think that someone who's not even interested in boardgames is probably not in the specific audience of Zombies!!!, at least the 1st edition - if you're talking specifically only of the 2nd edition, and it's different from the 1st, then cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad you're not looking for something a bit heavier, because Earth Reborn is filled with awesome b-grade movie content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Hmm, wait a minute: I see you are linking to the 2nd edition of Zombies!!! while I played the 1st edition. I see the 2nd edition has "revised rules" and apparently some different / redone art...? Perhaps many of these issues have been fixed...? If so, great!

Nah, not really. You still stumble around on the map for a few hours before somebody randomly draws the helicopter and places it somewhere conveniently near his own pawn.

Suggestions I'll gladly repeat:

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eaten by Zombies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was some mention of this earlier, but there is a whole series of B-moving card games.

Someone mentioned Grave Robbers From Outer Space. However, there is a tongue in cheek B-movie card game for about every gere (and then some), for example:

Bushwhackin' Varmints out of Sergio's Butte

Berserker Halflings from the Dungeon of Dragons

Kung Fu Samurai on Giant Robot Island

Bell-Bottomed Badassses on the Mean Streets of Funk

Cannibal Pygmies in the Jungle of Doom

All use the same general rules, and worse yet, they can be combined!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
[q="Perturabo"]
Quote:

FWIW I've played and enjoyed some other "B-movie type games" in this thread, by the way. I even suggested one in an earlier comment.

So I think that someone who's not even interested in boardgames is probably not in the specific audience of Zombies!!!, at least the 1st edition - if you're talking specifically only of the 2nd edition, and it's different from the 1st, then cool.

This wasn't meant as a personal offense but as a general statement being true for all of the games of this genre. They all feature a somewhat limited pool of actions and are basically very repetitive. If you don't get into the theme the game's virtually lost on you. And especially Zombies!!! is extremly prone to that. There are a lot of people who think it is just boring and takes way too long, but on the other side there is also a fanbase loving it for what it is (I'm not part of it, btw).
Being interested in boardgames or not is not necessarily required to enjoy this game. The friend of mine who owns it played it with gamers as well as non-gamers. In both groups are, according to him, people who ejoved it as well as people who got bored within half an hour.
Sad enough my crystal ball stopped working yesterday so I can't check if it would be a hit in this case.

The "differences" between first and second edition have already been told. I couldn't do that since I never played first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
russ wrote:

Nope, they haven't been. Fully back you up on this Russ. The game in 2nd edition drags on and on and on and it's as fiddly as ever. I'd consider MidEvil (deluxe version is just the base game and both expansions in a new box, no changes made to rules; slight colour changes made to skeleton pieces) with a new player, as it's a bit simpler and doesn't drag on so long but it does have an even worse runaway leader problem, but Zombies!!!1!!11!! I'd steer clear of with almost all new boardgamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.