Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have too many unplayed games, so lets add to it! I am going to be placing a large order with CSI (due to large number of GCs) so I am looking for some advice on what to get.

As you can see by what I already own I like both Euro style and AT, I like worker placement games and games with strategy to them, but I also like games that are lighter.

Though, since I do own all of Descent and most of the expansions are still in shrink, I wont need a dungeon crawler unless it is a lot different from Descent.

I am not looking for one theme or game type in general, since I am going to be getting multiple games I want to get a mix of games. Though one game I want is something that is a bit silly and fun (for the wife, she likes quirky themes and styles that are lighter)

There are a ton of games out there and I just want to be pointed towards some so that I can look them over. If you have a favorite game that you want to spread the word about, I want to hear about it.

These are games I am most likely going to get
Lord of the Rings
Revolution!

These are games I am considering.
Dominant Species
Fresco

What else should I consider? Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamrick
United States
Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.henceforthgame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow Tails is a hoot.
Combat Commander: Europe is awesome. I play it at least once every two weeks.
Blood Bowl (Third Edition), while a miniatures game, is my favorite game of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to place a REALLY BIG order:

Star Trek: Fleet Captains - on my lust list
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game - not played it but the reviews sound good
Mansions of Madness - great dungeon crawl alternative
Ninjato and/or Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan - 'cause how can you not love Ninjas

If you need a Euro:
Macao - most interesting mechanic I've seen in years
Homesteaders - really good engine building alternative to Agricola/Le Havre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalendar wrote:
These are games I am most likely going to get
Lord of the Rings
Revolution!

These are games I am considering.
Dominant Species
Fresco

What else should I consider? Thanks!

I second the consideration of Fresco! I've really enjoyed that game. It's got me considering picking up Pastiche another artist themed game.
Pastiche certainly has received good reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evadimus wrote:
Snow Tails is a hoot.
Combat Commander: Europe is awesome. I play it at least once every two weeks.
Blood Bowl (Third Edition), while a miniatures game, is my favorite game of all time.

Snow Trails looks interesting I'll have to take a look at that. I'm a bit lacking in war game partners, but I've got Twilight Struggle that I'm going to see if I'm brother-in-law will like. If so then I'll have to look at Combat Commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGrey wrote:
If you want to place a REALLY BIG order:

Star Trek: Fleet Captains - on my lust list
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game - not played it but the reviews sound good
Mansions of Madness - great dungeon crawl alternative
Ninjato and/or Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan - 'cause how can you not love Ninjas

If you need a Euro:
Macao - most interesting mechanic I've seen in years
Homesteaders - really good engine building alternative to Agricola/Le Havre

Fortune and Glory does look interesting, I'll have to take a closer look at that one. Mansions of Madness my wife is intrigued by, but I'm a bit leary of the bad reviews I've read. Both Macao and Homesteaders are on my wish list, my buddy has Macao so not sure if I'm going to get my own copy just yet. Homesteaders I plan on taking a closer look at.

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold some magic cards to CSI in order to get a store credit, really great experiance doing so.

I am going to be spending around $200 on board games, since I will also be getting some paints and painting supplies.

So I want to get a good mix of games to add to my stack of unplayed... that I will get to... one of these days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're looking at Fresco and owned Stone Age, please have a look at Magnum Sal and Pergamon. These two don't use any dice, just like Fresco, and they all are worker placement game.

I believe these fours are on-par in terms of depth, so if you're looking at one, worth for you to check out the rest as well. Note that Pergamon is not a pure worker placement game although it contains the mechanic.

Way to go for mb!

Let us know the list once you're done looking.
Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Since you're looking at Fresco and owned Stone Age, please have a look at Magnum Sal and Pergamon. These two don't use any dice, just like Fresco, and they all are worker placement game.

I believe these fours are on-par in terms of depth, so if you're looking at one, worth for you to check out the rest as well. Note that Pergamon is not a pure worker placement game although it contains the mechanic.

Way to go for mb!

Let us know the list once you're done looking.
Regards

Magnum Sal and Pergamon have interesting looking themes, I will definitely take a look at them. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace P.
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species all the way.

For a worker placement game that is on the lighter side, I'd go with Tribune over Fresco.

I'd also recommend Biblios, Paris Connection, and Lords of Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
As the only person on BGG that hates Dominant Species, I have to say.. DON'T DO IT!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hall
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmb
Although I haven't played Dominant Species, I'm definitely wanting to try that game more than any other game at the moment. I just can't fork that kind of cash at the moment.

Another great co-op game that I can't praise enough is Pandemic. Everyone from my girlfriend, family, to gamers really enjoy this one!

Good luck with your purchases my friend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades should be a good fit for what you are looking for. It's a lighter game (60-90 minutes) that combines Euro and AT styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ecargo wrote:
Dominant Species all the way.

For a worker placement game that is on the lighter side, I'd go with Tribune over Fresco.

I'd also recommend Biblios, Paris Connection, and Lords of Vegas.

I will look at Tribune. Biblios and Paris Connection look interesting.

GulfCoastTiger wrote:
Although I haven't played Dominant Species, I'm definitely wanting to try that game more than any other game at the moment. I just can't fork that kind of cash at the moment.

Another great co-op game that I can't praise enough is Pandemic. Everyone from my girlfriend, family, to gamers really enjoy this one!

Good luck with your purchases my friend

I am strongly leaning towards getting Dominant Species.

I do own Pandemic and we really enjoy the challenge of it.

DoomTurtle wrote:
Cyclades should be a good fit for what you are looking for. It's a lighter game (60-90 minutes) that combines Euro and AT styles.

I have been eyeing Cyclades for awhile and I'm not sure why I have not pulled the trigger on it yet.

This is pretty tough considering I wont be getting any new games till next year some time. Well hopefully some Christmas games.

I am going to pre-order Eminent Domain I missed out on the Kickstarter by a couple of days.

Thank you all for responding and providing feed back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Tribune over Fresco. To be fair, I haven’t played Fresco’s included “expansions” which I understand make it a much better game, but for me the base game was just OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace P.
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGrey wrote:
To be fair, I haven’t played Fresco’s included “expansions” which I understand make it a much better game, but for me the base game was just OK.

Ditto! This was my EXACT experience. I didn't think the modules would improve the game significantly enough, so I traded it away before bothering to try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, I will just suggest my top 5 games:

Louis XIV
Acquire
Saint Petersburg
Water Lily
Hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Sushi Roll to fill in the spot of the silly, quirky game. It is a really fast paced, and in my opinion fun, card game where the players act as sushi chefs and try to fulfill the most orders. Another plus is that it is cheap, around 15$ for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Currently my cart has;
Acquire
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Tribune: Primus Inter Pares
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Dominant Species
Revolution!

I am also going to pre-order Eminent Domain but on a separate order so I do not hold up the others!

I will probably place the order this evening, pretty sure this is what I am going with. Course I could end up changing my mind.ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace P.
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If/when you end up playing Acquire, Tribune, and Dominant Species, I'd like to hear your thoughts on them! I enjoy them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which Carcassonne and Catan expansions do you have? I wasn't sure if you had them and just didn't list them or you don't have them at all. Bohnanza is a fun card game. Formula D would be a good addition too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ecargo wrote:
If/when you end up playing Acquire, Tribune, and Dominant Species, I'd like to hear your thoughts on them! I enjoy them all.

Considering my crazy acquisition of games the last few months, I'm not sure when I'm going to get through them all! But I will let you know what I think of them when they get played. Assuming I stay with this selection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckorfmann wrote:
Which Carcassonne and Catan expansions do you have? I wasn't sure if you had them and just didn't list them or you don't have them at all. Bohnanza is a fun card game. Formula D would be a good addition too.

I do not have any Carcassonne expansions. I do have Seafarers for Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely look into some Carcassonne expansions then. Inns & Cathedrals is the first and probably best. There are so many, but I'd probably start with:

Inns & Cathedrals
Traders & Builders
Abbey & Mayor
The mini-expansion (GQ11)
...go on from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.