Subject: 1798 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Cardiff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I find the 1798 campaign to be almost impossible to win.

You start with nine units, including the garrison in Alexandria, plus Naughtique in October.

As the game progresses these units get reduced to five in order to defend the four cities you've taken.

With these five units, you must defend Alexandria, AND occupy Daminetta in order to prevent the retreat of the Ottoman forces that attack Alexandria starting May 1799.

Also with the five units you must Ottoman forces in the that spawn in Tabor AND take Acre.

Other handicaps are the Harsh Conditions, which prevent mobility of French forces, Plague, which doubles refit costs, and Battle of the Nile, which prevents purchase of units of units after October.

Has anybody actually beaten 1798?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, very hard to win. I haven't. However, once you take a city you can purchase a cheap (1 or 2 pt) unit during the supply phase to hold that area. This allows you to continue on with your core units. Of course, the harsh conditions of this scenario are still very brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
A big decision point is how many new forces to purchase before the Battle of the Nile rule activates. These forces are greatly useful in defending cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After several plays of the Egyptian Campaign, I have found that the only way I have been able to win is to ignore Acre all together. I try to achieve my objectives as quickly as possible and then rush Napoleon back to Alexandria (hoping the Ottoman die rolls are favorable in delaying Mustafa's force from coming in before Napoleon arrives back with some kind of force to hold Alexandria.) This only gives me an "Historical victory" at best. When trying to get the "Superior victory" (in which Napoleon has to take Acre), I have lost the game each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Cardiff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
rod3556lhs wrote:
After several plays of the Egyptian Campaign, I have found that the only way I have been able to win is to ignore Acre all together. I try to achieve my objectives as quickly as possible and then rush Napoleon back to Alexandria (hoping the Ottoman die rolls are favorable in delaying Mustafa's force from coming in before Napoleon arrives back with some kind of force to hold Alexandria.) This only gives me an "Historical victory" at best. When trying to get the "Superior victory" (in which Napoleon has to take Acre), I have lost the game each time.

In order to win you need to take Acre.

It's brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. You don't need Acre to win. You need it to be better the historical point total though.

My strategy was to rush to take everything but Acre, then rush back to Alexandria. I didn't leave units behind to hold cities and went without the supply points. You have to really be a good battlefield general and avoid unit losses and have some luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Cardiff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mudtiger wrote:
I disagree. You don't need Acre to win. You need it to be better the historical point total though.

My strategy was to rush to take everything but Acre, then rush back to Alexandria. I didn't leave units behind to hold cities and went without the supply points. You have to really be a good battlefield general and avoid unit losses and have some luck.

According to the rules, to win, you must hold all objectives. The victory points are only relevant if you are playing linked campaigns. Also you only get VP if you win, that is take all objectives.

You do not qualify as holding an objective if you do not have forces there.

If you don't have to take all objectives then the campaign becomes way to easy. Just sit in Alexandria and avoid defeat. Easy. Boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Krasny wrote:
mudtiger wrote:

According to the rules, to win, you must hold all objectives. The victory points are only relevant if you are playing linked campaigns. Also you only get VP if you win, that is take all objectives.

You do not qualify as holding an objective if you do not have forces there.

If you don't have to take all objectives then the campaign becomes way to easy. Just sit in Alexandria and avoid defeat. Easy. Boring.

Acre is NOT an objective. To win you DO have to take all of the objectives, so you can NOT just sit back in Alexandria and avoid defeat. So it is not easy and most certainly not boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Cardiff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ah!

Acre is not an objective!

That makes the campaign easier.

My mistake.

Opps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Siddons-Smith
United Kingdom
derby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on my first try i got a supior result due to using raid on the first two turns to then get my self the units i needed to hold. i didn't take acre but i did have 12 units on the board. i was lucky that alexandria got attacked on the last turn . i was able to refit one unit a turn which helped for the movement rule and i wasn't hit to bably due to fog of war.
i'm not sure if i would get the same result on the next time i play though.

its a very interesting situation where by the hindering plague and battle of the nile and enermy forces that appear make you have to think more about what your going to do which is what i like.

i usualy am either lucky in games but not in life or the other way round. so if things go wrong for me in the real world i know why :-)

Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
rod3556lhs wrote:

That's the strategy I developed pretty quickly, as well. I consider a superior victory to be unattainable without some incredible dice-rolling luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just lost the campaign again. I think you can already decide in the 4th turn, if you can give up: Too many losses against the first army you encounter, and too many losses due to movement/fog of war make the campaign unwinnable, I think.

Also, I think you need a Scout to prevent the fog of war result, that inflicts a hit in a random city: If that occurs, and the city is only held by a french recruit, you are in trouble!

Difficult, very difficult... I haven't played all scenarios yet - how would you rate the difficulty of this campaign in comparison to the other campaigns? (I have only played the italian campaigns beside this one and found them rather easy...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Just beat 1798 - tough campaign. Not sure how much is attributable to lucky dice rolls.

I picked up a couple of cheap recruits before the Battle of the Nile (and feel like I probably could have captured Acre if I'd gotten a garrison/done some raiding at the beginning, which I hadn't thought to do), and brought 5 units with me, one of which was fodder for attrition. The starting units (especially the 8/4 cavalry!) were more than enough to do the job. I left the other half in the second objective, then moved them back to Alexandria on a turn I was "resting" Nappy's army after capturing the third.

Additionally, I never held more than 4 cities at once until I wiped out both Ottoman armies, and I frequently traded both battle plans for Sweeps and either Engineers or Terrain, depending. Most garrisons/fortresses were killed by routs after being hit by Engineers. I bought 2 battle plans for Alexandria instead of sending Napoleon back (and spent a scout to reroll a Fog of War result of "10").

Ended up with 11 units, which is 33 points. Tempted to come back to this one to see if I can't capture Acre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that IS die rolling luck :-)

Engineers are succesfull only 20% of the rolls, and Sweeps 30%. If the Fortifications of the enemy hit you each turn, then you have a problem...

In my both games, I lost many troops in the very first battle - next time I play and this happens, I will just stop playing then... ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Almecho wrote:
Well, that IS die rolling luck :-)

Engineers are succesfull only 20% of the rolls, and Sweeps 30%. If the Fortifications of the enemy hit you each turn, then you have a problem...

In my both games, I lost many troops in the very first battle - next time I play and this happens, I will just stop playing then... ^^

True, but if you have both you have a 44% chance of either triggering on a given turn. Over a 2-turn battle you have a ~70% chance for either to trigger (for what will probably end up being at least 3 hits) and they only have a 64% of hitting you either once or twice.

It doesn't always happen (and every once in a while you are forced to retreat), but the odds definitely work in your favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!
Finally I did it!!

Finally won!
Moved out with only 6 units; bought a Garrison in Cairo and could move a mobile force via FoW-Result to a battle.
Then it took several attempts to conquer Jaffa: 2 turn battles, that resulted in "French Retreat"... *sigh*
By the time I conquered Jaffa, the last army arrived in Alexandria, where only a Garrison, and mostly Recruits waited. Fortunately they could defeat the attacking forces!
So, with 3 turn to play in the campaign, and Napoleon still in Jaffa - I attemted to take Acre - and did it! :-)

7 Units left, and Acre taken -> 36 points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also found this campaign rather difficult, with two defeats. Maybe after I play the rest of the campaigns I'll try it again, using these tactics: building cheap recruits before Cairo, raiding enemy supplies, buying a Scout in reserve and moving only a handful of units to avoid some attrition.

But even with these tactics I think that without some luck it's very difficult. In contrast, both Italian campaigns are rather easy to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dicey, dicey scenario (but lots of fun).

I think a lot of it depends on the big reinforcements in Mount Tabor being sucked into Acre and then never leaving (using a scout if possible to make that more probable). That lets you dash back to Alexandria without worrying about defending those forward cities.

Also, it feels like once you lose your first unit after turn 3, it's pretty much game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Dicey, dicey scenario (but lots of fun).

I think a lot of it depends on the big reinforcements in Mount Tabor being sucked into Acre and then never leaving (using a scout if possible to make that more probable). That lets you dash back to Alexandria without worrying about defending those forward cities.

Also, it feels like once you lose your first unit after turn 3, it's pretty much game over.

But remember that you must leave a French unit in each city, otherwise it reverts to uncontrolled and to achieve victory you always must control all victory cities.

And as you cannot buy conscripts in this scenario, you must leave valuable units as static garrisons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick is buy as many recruits as possible damaged in the first 2 turns. Then you can try to repair them in the later turns before the big attack on Alexandria arrives.

You definitely don't want to lose any units at all in this one since you can repair but not replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:

But remember that you must leave a French unit in each city, otherwise it reverts to uncontrolled and to achieve victory you always must control all victory cities.

You only need the cities to be held at the end of the game, so if you're willing to give up a small amount of resources, you can bring the units you would have used to Garrisson with you to help with the fights at Gaza. And then leave them off as Garrisons when Napoleon comes back to Alexandria.

Just won this one tonight. Key was having 3 scouts available near the end that let me get several tries to convince the big reinforcements from Mt Tabor to go into Acre instead of attacking.

Alexandria was covered by 2 damaged Garrisons I purchased early and repaired before the final attack. It was just enough.

Napoleon by himself was able to Force March quickly back to Alexandria to lend his 2 Insights.

I like the tip up above to make phoney moves with Nautique (between Alexandria and a neighbor) to take the damage when trying risky forced marches with the main force. It's gamey but it can save a precious cavalry unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Linxweiler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The trick is buy as many recruits as possible damaged in the first 2 turns.

Maybe I'm missing something, but none of my recruits have a damaged side. Also, we only start with 3 Supply points, and have low prospects for gaining more. (1 per turn until you take Cairo).

I suppose you could wait the first turn to see if the Enemy will split his force at Alexandria, and try to destroy him piecemeal. My first go at this I moved all my forces to Alexandria, rolling 1 Hit due to Harsh Conditions. The enemy drew "Well Struck" and Killed two of my Veterans outright in the first battle. Not good. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have said Garissons. You can pick up Garrisons for 2 early and then upgrade them to 5 later in the game before the enemy lands in Alexandria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Linxweiler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I should have said Garissons.

Ah, gotcha! But I think the damaged French Garrisons cost 3, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've got the game out and that's what it says on the back, then 3 it is. Idea is to have something decent to stave off the group landing in Alexandria late game, because Nap probably won't be able to get back in time for the first few possible dates of entry.

Of course you have to decide whether it's better to force march Nap back or upgrade those units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.