David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
The variant is this- as you complete each adventure, you draw another face up as usual, but you put a token on it. Until four adventure cards have tokens on them, you can only move to a card that does not have a token. At the fourth token, discard all tokens and the process starts anew.

Nerfing investigators for balance:

This is mainly for solo play or maybe for two player. Any ability that says once per turn can only be used once per day. Use a token to show the ability is available, discard once the ability is used and replenish the token every midnight. Also, Jenny can only use her ability once per day instead of at the start of any adventure.

Things I still need help with- how would you balance the scientists ability? It seems a bit much to just never draw a monster.

And how could we go about making Yog-Sothoth's persistent effect at least have a chance of occuring? Because as it is now, when you get down to the last other world card in your deck you can just never go to a adventure with a gate reward. Or to be really safe, you could go into a few other worlds and then just stop using them. It really seems like you don't have to ever get close enough for that to be a real concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Edit: I sort of figured out maybe how to nerf the scientist... sort of like a few of the others, that her ability only triggers for the first monster that would be drawn in any given day. It would seem to fit the general idea that if she is in play, there are a few less monsters on the board to deal with.

Still could use some ideas on how to give Yog at least a small chance of awakening prematurely, enough to have to take it into consideration when playing against him, at least.

oops: That wasn't an edit but an actual reply. Sorry for the double post, then,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My first thought about the Science! ability was to make it something like "May pay 1(2?)sanity to prevent a monster from appearing" or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Another difficulty variant and nerfing a few investigators UPDATED
Two more solo investigator balances-

Sister Mary- Each midnight, you may choose to ignore the lingering effect of the Mythos card you just drew. If you do not choose to do so, you may roll locked dice that day as if they were not locked.

Kate Winthrop- Monsters triggered as the result of success or failure to complete an investigation do not appear. She is still immune to all Terror effects as well.

And a recap of all investigators that I feel should only get to use their ability once a day in solo-

Jenny Barnes
Vincent Lee
Carolyn Fern
Mandy Thompson(although this is more or less official anyway)

The others don't seem so bad as written, even for a solo game. But I would love to hear any differing views on the matter if anyone has any. I'm still trying to strike the right balance of challenge for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone else think the ability of the dilettante is ridiculously awesome? I pretty much had the yellow and red die every time it was my turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.