Subject: Building it yourself? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play Hanabi with my friends next week, but I am unable to get my hands on a copy so fast. In principle you don´t need more then a card set that contains 3x1, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 1x5 in 5 colours. Does anybody know another game that contains these cards (or somehow similiar, because it could go e.g. from 0-4 instead)? I went through half of my collection but didn´t find anything useful so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would do is get four poker decks which you may be able to get pretty cheaply. For the first three decks you can use the normal cards to build a hanabi deck. From the fourth deck you can make the fifth suit using a stamp a stamp to set them apart from the other ones. This is something I did to test run Haggis

Then you can use the low cards for Hanabi and use the high cards for something like pinochle. I guess you could also use three tarot decks (do that have the 1-5's?)

Or maybe the cheapest and most thematic you can get a sharpie and mark up some basic lands from Magic the Gathering which has 5 suits (really 6 if you include artifacts, but all you need is 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Two (or one, if you use face cards in place of ones) copies of Five Crowns? Three copies of Sticheln or Haggis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
In my board gaming group people have constructed decks using three copies of the game Rage, which is sold at major chains stores. Not sure how easy you can get that one on Germany though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably someone could make an Artscow deck? whistle

EDIT: Look what I found...

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/hanabi-ikebana-...

Unfortunately, there are no multi-coloured cards because whoever uploaded it has done two 5s in each colour, rather than one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Or, y'all could just buy it from a legitimate source, so the proper people get paid...

It is available from two different publishers. Yes, it takes a trivial amount of time and effort to track it down, but that would seem to be a better option than actually pirating the game...

edit: and that deck has other issues...anyone that prints it as is is going to be disappointed by an unplayable mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb

I have to agree that getting a copy is best. I got mine not so long ago. However "pirating" is too strong of a word for what has been mentioned here. Pirating would be to physically reproduce the game from the original source, with the original artwork and usually with the added intention of making profit out of that.

Getting a copy of Hanabi is not an easy task. There are currently three offerings of the game in the BGG system, two of them in Europe. The game is good, but I am not sure it is $30+ dollars good. None of the regular online stores for board games do offer it. I got my copy from http://www.gamesurplus.com after waiting for a few weeks for the order to actually come through.

I don't mean to disregard the fact that it is definitely better for people to strive to get the actual product, but given the fact this game is not easy or cost effective to come by I cannot blame those who look for alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:

Unfortunately, there are no multi-coloured cards because whoever uploaded it has done two 5s in each colour, rather than one.

The multicolored ones are seldomly used for regular Hanabi.

The extra 5s were probably just added to complete the 55 cards in a normal deck print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand it is being reprinted (just Hanabi without Ikebana) and will be more widely available in the US. I will most certainly be picking up said copy when it's available. But Juan makes a fair point, Habani is really more of a filler game. A game you toss into the cart to put you over the top for online shipping. it's not the sort of game you seek out or go to great lengths to track down... That doesn't make any difference morally or legally, but it does provide justification as to the "why" someone would do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
badge
PrivateMeggido wrote:

The extra 5s were probably just added to complete the 55 cards in a normal deck print.

*That* misapprehension is why that deck is an unplayable mess in at least two different ways...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Sanders
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I built a Hanabi deck tonight using MtG commons, some spare change, and the lid from a single-serving yogurt container. I wish the numbers were easier to read, but as long as you are careful with how you splay your cards, it works just fine.

Card List:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red: Falter (1), Scrap (2), Lay Waste (3), Lava Axe (4), Heat Ray(5)
Blue: Cloak of Mists (1), Catalog (2), Pendrell Drake (3), Bubbling Beebles (4), Power Sink (5)
White: Disenchant (1), Pegasus Charger (2), Path of Peace (3), Ardent Militia (4), Excise (5)
Black: Unworthy Dead (1), Looming Shade (2), Unnerve (3), Hollow Dogs (4), Soul Strings (5)
Green: Aeridian (1), Cave Tiger (2), Argothian Swine (3), Blanchwood Treefolk (4), Choking Vines (5)

Exact cards don't really matter. I just picked the first set of cards from each color that I could find that had the required value. I used X's as 5's because I couldn't find any 5 casting cost cards in my set of commons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup that works!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I badly wanted to try this game but can't find it anywhere.

In looking through my collection, the answer suddenly became so obvious that I felt stupid.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Yes cards are small but it will do until I can find the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I badly wanted to try this game but can't find it anywhere.

In looking through my collection, the answer suddenly became so obvious that I felt stupid.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Yes cards are small but it will do until I can find the game.

wow!
I was thinking about multiple Parade decks, but I remembered the three 1's. I may try this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'll just throw in a mention of my rethemed version, available on Artscow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Morff, which is available on Amazon for $8.

There are only two copies of each card in each colour, but I just use 7s as the third 1s.

I will certainly buy a real copy as soon as it is available in the UK - marvellous game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos C
Mexico
Guadalajara
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a better version of Hanabi & Ikebana... is a similar design, but with added letters below the numbers for the color blind
ej. b, y, g, k, r...
also a different back.

I use to have a copy of the game, but give it aways as a gift, since then i was trying to buy another for me, but is OOP.... so i made this set,
if some one is interested and Antoine Bauza doesnt care i can share the designs..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of ours built it out of an UNO deck. Everything you need is there except the 5th suit, which you can make by remarking the wilds with a whiteout pen. This will be the black suit. I don't believe they have the multicolored cards, but they aren't typically used in Hanabi anyway.

Find these at the thrift store for less than a $1, so well worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.