Popular Tags: [View All]
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 5.1.4 reads as follows...

Quote:
5.1.4 Determine Fleet Size Bonus: If one player has twice as many unscreened, combat-capable units as his opponent in a combat, his firing units enjoy a +1 bonus to their Attack Strengths. Determine this Fleet Size Bonus at the start of each firing round. It is possible that as a battle progresses and ships are destroyed or retreat, the size differential will change...
emphasis mine

a unit is defined on page two of the rules as...

Quote:
Unit: Group, Decoy, Miner, Colony Ship, MS Pipeline, Base, or
Ship Yard.

Is it really the designer's intent to count "groups" of ships to determine the Fleet Size Bonus? Or should we be counting combat-capable ships? (as in 5.1.3 Determine Combat Screening)

It seems like in play it makes more sense to count ships instead of groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I count ships instead of groups, including individual fighters. Pretty sure that was the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
I count ships instead of groups, including individual fighters. Pretty sure that was the intent.

Yes, this is clearly the intent from the examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this can be corrected in the Living Rules. It really did trip me up a bit when i was learning the game.

If i was a playtester of SE4x i would have put forth a case against rule 5.1.4 altogether. It's a piece of chrome the game does not require (groups or ships). The advantage of bringing a well-researched fleet twice the size of your opponent's into a battle should make itself obvious once the dice start rolling. No need to give the superior force an artificial bonus on top of all that imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is ships that are counted. I know it says units and a unit can include decoys and the like, but it says combat capable units so I thought it was clear.

The fleet size bonus is something that I love. It is more than just chrome (although I do think it is very thematic). The biggest fleet is not always the superior fleet and the fleet size bonus means you can't just build the biggest ships all the time. It encourages a more balanced and "realistic" approach to fleet construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your reasoning on that, Jim. I see your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply Jim (and once again, thanks for SE4x)

Quote:
The fleet size bonus is something that I love. It is more than just chrome (although I do think it is very thematic). The biggest fleet is not always the superior fleet and the fleet size bonus means you can't just build the biggest ships all the time. It encourages a more balanced and "realistic" approach to fleet construction.

I'm a little confused by your reply here... I'm assuming the point of the Fleet Size Bonus is that a technically inferior player can still swarm a more technically advanced player's cruisers and battleships by attacking with superior numbers of cheaper ships. Which is cool, i'm sold.

Love this game Jim!!! The board itself is outstanding! Good job getting it mounted, it makes a huge difference and really helps SE4x shine like a supernova.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Maybe this can be corrected in the Living Rules. It really did trip me up a bit when i was learning the game.

If i was a playtester of SE4x i would have put forth a case against rule 5.1.4 altogether. It's a piece of chrome the game does not require (groups or ships). The advantage of bringing a well-researched fleet twice the size of your opponent's into a battle should make itself obvious once the dice start rolling. No need to give the superior force an artificial bonus on top of all that imo.

I like the fleet size bonus and do not think it is just chrome. Cracky I think that you are thinking of it backwards, the rule allows for a strategy of spending less on researching large powerful ships and instead investing in having several smaller ships, or carriers, to gain an edge in combat.

Conclusion: It adds additional strategic options
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cook
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Go Pack Go!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The fleet bonus is useful I think. to me it simulates that fact that a huge fleet of small ships could indeed be pretty dangerous.

By the way, I am loving this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The fleet bonus is useful I think. to me it simulates that fact that a huge fleet of small ships could indeed be pretty dangerous.

And can more easily maneuver to fire at downed shields, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, this game is awesome top to bottom, and even awesome plus one with the new "three point" win system. But the board? A shout out for the board? Really? If by "huge difference" you mean "made a huge difference in the price of the game", then yeah. But it's a blank hex map. Blank. Hex map. The most amazing thing about it is how heavy it makes the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's space. Space is empty. What else than just a few stars (that actually look neat) did you expect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
It's space. Space is empty. What else than just a few stars (that actually look neat) did you expect?

Maybe a score track. And a provost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
haslo wrote:

A score track counting from zero to one, for "number of destroyed enemy home systems", with players winning with one point?

At least that'd provide us with a place where this game could use wooden cubes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board - we actually talked about a more colorful design, but there are a lot of counters all over the board, and we wanted them to stand out and not get lost in the board art. Function over Form won the day on that decision.

Thematically, Rodger was shooting for a feeling of empty space waiting to be explored. His final product fits with the whole "retro" theme of the artwork.

I do agree that, taken by itself, the board looks merely okay. It works better / looks better mid game.

Talking about this now, it is surprising how many little details are discussed among so many people before a GMT game goes to print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Thematically, Rodger was shooting for a feeling of empty space waiting to be explored. His final product fits with the whole "retro" theme of the artwork.

I do agree that, taken by itself, the board looks merely okay. It works better / looks better mid game.

I like the board. It actually looks pretty awesome despite being an empty hex map. Although the score track from 0 to 1 (I think 0 around the top and right side of the board and a 1 around the bottom and left) would have really kicked it up a notch.

And maybe a windrose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And maybe a windrose.

With a space sea monster next to it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:
And maybe a windrose.

With a space sea monster next to it....

Well, there's always the special edition reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But the board? A shout out for the board? Really? If by "huge difference" you mean "made a huge difference in the price of the game", then yeah. But it's a blank hex map. Blank. Hex map. The most amazing thing about it is how heavy it makes the box.

The board is friggin beautiful. Just one look at GMT's SE4x website entry and you can see how many potential buyers wanted a mounted board. It's worth every penny and it makes the game look great. I've always preferred mounted boards to cardstock. Who doesn't?

There's no doubt in my mind the mounted board is worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I would criticize is the mounted board. laugh

If the box were deeper it wouldn't bother me but the craft box I use to store everything means the box doesn't close all the way. It would if the map weren't mounted.

I guess I could not like the too shallow box instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorque wrote:
Wait, this game is awesome top to bottom, and even awesome plus one with the new "three point" win system. But the board? A shout out for the board? Really? If by "huge difference" you mean "made a huge difference in the price of the game", then yeah. But it's a blank hex map. Blank. Hex map. The most amazing thing about it is how heavy it makes the box.

That mounted map was GMT responding to the fans, especially those who pre-ordered. Can't please everyone, but it was clear that the majority wanted a mounted map. GMT gave it to us at no extra charge. I applaud GMT for responding so well to their customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:

A score track counting from zero to one, for "number of destroyed enemy home systems", with players winning with one point?

At least that'd provide us with a place where this game could use wooden cubes!

Funniest comment today. You win virtual bacon!baconbacon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
The only thing I would criticize is the mounted board. laugh

If the box were deeper it wouldn't bother me but the craft box I use to store everything means the box doesn't close all the way. It would if the map weren't mounted.

I guess I could not like the too shallow box instead.

Exactly, that's "the cup's half full" attitude.

i look at this way, if this map wasn't mounted, i would have bought a poster frame for it by now for $5 to $10. I'de rather GMT and the designer get my money than Walmart. I don't mind paying for quality.

Plus, i love space maps. If you compare SE4x's board to Battleship Galaxies the quality difference is obvious. SE4x's board blows BG's boards away. I've already had to take Sharpies to my BG boards to color in the white creases that are appearing in the folds. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
I've already had to take Sharpies to my BG boards to color in the white creases that are appearing in the folds. shake

I did the same thing with mine, guess it's a common occurrence.

(And thanks for the bacon!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
haslo wrote:

I mention in my review that an income track would be a great addition to the board. The game is great without it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.