5 Posts

Mr. Jack» Forums » Rules

Subject: Jack's identity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Rochfort
msg tools
Hi all,
I've just bought Mr. Jack as I love 2-player games as well as games of deduction. My husband and I tried playing it last night for the first time, and I am embarrassed to say we were stuck from the beginning.
My main area of confusion is, the person playing Jack picks an alibi card (thus becoming aware of the true identity of Jack), then the detective can choose the 1st of the 4 cards being played on the first round. What if the detective (unknowingly) chooses to play the character who is supposed to be Jack?
Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter if the detective picks the character card corresponding to the secret alibi card identifying the killer. The detective simply moves that character, just like any other character. I'm not sure what you're confused about; perhaps if you explain why you think this would be a problem...?

The detective doesn't win by picking the character card of the killer. The detective wins by making all the other characters eliminated as suspects. accusing the killer.

(EDITED TO ADD: Originally I brainfarted and was thinking of how the detective wins Mr. Jack Pocket. Doh. Thanks for catching that, loule.)

Picking character cards is simply how you manipulate the game state to try to eliminate suspects (after each turn of 4 characters, Jack reveals if the killer is visible or not, and the detective hopes that this eliminates some suspects, by arranging that some characters are visible and some are not visible at the end of the turn.)

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Rochfort
msg tools
Hi Russ,
Yes thanks a lot. That is everything I needed to know, but was too slow to realise! I'm not too sure what I was confused about now, I think trying to play for the first time at 10:30pm when you're tired perhaps isn't the best idea. Looking forward to giving it another go now!
All the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric cartman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
...The detective wins by making all the other characters eliminated as suspects.

The detective wins when he uses a character to accuse the real Jack. Whatever the number of eliminated suspect is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loule wrote:
russ wrote:
...The detective wins by making all the other characters eliminated as suspects.

The detective wins when he uses a character to accuse the real Jack. Whatever the number of eliminated suspect is.

Good catch; I was brainfarting and mixing up Mr. Jack with Mr. Jack Pocket. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.