Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title stated, with the addition of the relics and places and the river mechanism, how does SWU stand as a 2 player game?
Also,for those who have experience in BOTH SWU and SW 2 player, in your opinion which 1 makes for a better 2 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bynaker
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played SWU extensively but I've played 2-player twice now. Maybe it was just bad race/power/place token combinations but both times seemed unfulfilling as a 2-player game. I have yet to get a full board for this but my 3-player experiences have been much better. I don't think I'll bother with this again as a 2-player.

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a review on SWU and the problem with the 2 person game was my biggest negative.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/683714/20-questions-about-sm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played SW as a 2-player game countless times, and will gladly do it again at any time.

I've played SWU as a 2-player game three times, and will never play it as a 2-player game again.

The relics & places are to random for a 2-player game to have any meaning. Less so with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my SWU games have been 2-player, and I am just as happy with them as I am with my 2-player games of SW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Barliman said, +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems almost too obvious to me, but couldn't you just play without the places and relics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
This seems almost too obvious to me, but couldn't you just play without the places and relics?

Because that would make some of the abilities (adventurous- and magic-) useless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
dawson_osu wrote:

Because that would make some of the abilities (adventurous- and magic-) useless

I meant just take out that feature of the game, which would also include taking out those power badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
I'm curious to hear more about what people have to say on this subject. Is SW really better than SWU for 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nidale wrote:
I'm curious to hear more about what people have to say on this subject. Is SW really better than SWU for 2 players?

Haha It's been quite long since I came back to this thread,ahhh the memories......

*ahem* That aside, I've gotten SWU a few months ago, and have played SW 2 player on my friend's Ipad, so I think I can give some of my opinion :

Like many have said, SW is more "streamlined" and easier to get into, without very much making it an easy game with no decisions needed (compared to SWU). My main concern between the 2 back then were the race problems, with some saying that the Iron Dwarves from SWU are OP. After playing both I can say that the Iron Dwarves post no bigger problem than the skeletons in SW. (The Dwarves in SW stil sucks tho ;/ )

That being said, I still prefer SWU over SW (by just slightly), since it provides more variety in the relics and stuff, and also more races and powers to choose from,albeit being slightly more complex. Some might argue that the relics can be quite OP in 2~3 player games,and might tilt the balance of the game, but who cares? If I mind the balance and winning so much I'd be playing Chess instead of SW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.