CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
And interesting article complaining about how the intarwebs are stealing our thoughts and monetizing them by turning everything into a game. The whole time I was thinking, everything should be a game. I've always said life was a game. Just one I haven't groked yet.

All readers gain one:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well yeah, it's all a game, but we all know that Reality Is Broken, the rich parents card is just so unbalanced...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
All readers gain one:

That is one cool looking trophy. What I wouldn't give for a virtual trophy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, Gameification is stupid, unless I am winning!

Just 50 more post to get my level 7 poster badge, Yippee!

I have not used the sites he listed in the article but most of the ones I have seen don't really require you to play the game, it is just something extra. What the article really seems to be complaining about is that these reward systems work on the author and he doesn't like it that he is so easily sucked in.

Edit: How do I collect my trophy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent D.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
Yah, Gameification is stupid, unless I am winning!

Just 50 more post to get my level 7 poster badge, Yippee!

I have not used the sites he listed in the article but most of the ones I have seen don't really require you to play the game, it is just something extra. What the article really seems to be complaining about is that these reward systems work on the author and he doesn't like it that he is so easily sucked in.

Edit: How do I collect my trophy?

I am envious of all of your guy's gewgaws. How can I possibly win this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
From the article “We've been conditioned to care about little blooping tokens and validating gewgaws throughout our entire lives.”

That’s not really new. Even prior to the computer age, folks have tended to take joy from little rewards. There’s nothing wrong with it. I like to go for walks, it's good exercise but that’s not why I do it. I like the sights, sounds, & smells. I take joy in the little things online & offline, and that’s Ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thie author thinks Foursquare was the cause of this?

Achievements have been around a lot longer than Foursquare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
And interesting article complaining about how the intarwebs are stealing our thoughts and monetizing them by turning everything into a game. The whole time I was thinking, everything should be a game. I've always said life was a game. Just one I haven't groked yet.

All readers gain one:

NOT SHOWING UP IN MY ACHIEVEMENTS LIST!

Jesus monkeyboy, fix your damned servers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good post, gold star for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Quote:
That’s not really new. Even prior to the computer age, folks have tended to take joy from little rewards. There’s nothing wrong with it. I like to go for walks, it's good exercise but that’s not why I do it. I like the sights, sounds, & smells. I take joy in the little things online & offline, and that’s Ok.
There is a significant difference between appreciating sights, sounds, and smells -- something only you are experiencing at that moment and not really something others are envious of you for -- and going on a walk, getting a trophy online, and having people check your home page and want to get their walking trophy as well to keep up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
mdean wrote:
Quote:
There is a significant difference between appreciating sights, sounds, and smells -- something only you are experiencing at that moment and not really something others are envious of you for -- and going on a walk, getting a trophy online, and having people check your home page and want to get their walking trophy as well to keep up.

I agree with you, the small reward is different from the envy others may have when they see you have that small reward. However just as taking joy in small rewards isn't new, neither is using envy for such small rewards as a marketing device. If a kid sees a poster in a donut shop window of another kid with a donut, chances are he'll want to get a donut as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

All readers gain one:

I'm just here for my trophy!

(I actually read the article). Interesting read, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Adamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm probably an outsider to this. Playing some recent videogames that have achievements I was somewhat bewildered by them. Do they do anything? If I unlock everything is there some secret content? It didn't seem so, so I really didn't understand the point of it.

But I think what really bothers the author of the article, and maybe he doesn't quite realize it, is that these games are badly designed! As he says "Foursquare is about getting points for grabbing dinner, not enjoying the food." I've heard anecdotal evidence of phone games for real life weight loss that work. We just need these games to reward behavior that we actually want to encourage to motivate desired lifestyle changes. Of course, easily quantifying things like "enjoyment" is hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.