Subject: Totally legitimate topic for serious discussion. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the US border better prepared against military incursion to the north or south?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wargammers discuss: Is the US border defense.
frumpish wrote:
Is the US border better prepared against military incursion to the north or south?

South. You don't know what you're facing up here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
frumpish wrote:

We have that buffer zone that runs from the 49th through 90th parallels. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkunkyBeer wrote:
aiabx wrote:
frumpish wrote:

And that sense of superiority and false security is what proves that you are not prepare against a military incursion in the North.

But it is probably the West where you are least prepared. Californians have been preparing the invasion for years now. Prepare to hail your new supreme overlord, Governator!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
SkunkyBeer wrote:

Gives a whole new meaning to "defense in depth"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wargammers discuss: The US border defense.
We don't worry too much about countries that say, "Oh, excuse me there, eh?" before invading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
With almost 3 million available troops compared to our roughly 100000 and your budget of 692B to our budget of 21.8B the only advantage we have is that we look like you for the most part but we talk differently which is noticeable from such short distances as Victoria/Vancouver to Seattle/Fort Lewis. I don't think either is a military threat but border security for baddies is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These "Wargamers discuss" directives in thread titles get up my nose. It's a forum, so if you bring up something interesting, people will discuss it, and more precisely it's the wargames forum, so duh. This isn't middle school, and you're not handing out assignments.
(Hmmm. Too long and too belligerant).

Thread title memes where everybody starts copying the latest dumbness give the impression that they are composed by monkeys.
(More concise, but too nasty).

If this thread were simply titled "The US border defense", it would be stronger, and generate discussion by wargamers.
(OK, let's go with that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The US border defense.
Sphere wrote:
These "Wargamers discuss" directives in thread titles get up my nose. It's a forum, so if you bring up something interesting, people will discuss it, and more precisely it's the wargames forum, so duh. This isn't middle school, and you're not handing out assignments.
(Hmmm. Too long and too belligerant).

Thread title memes where everybody starts copying the latest dumbness give the impression that they are composed by monkeys.
(More concise, but too nasty).

If this thread were simply titled "The US border defense", it would be stronger, and generate discussion by wargamers.
(OK, let's go with that).

Good idea, however it may be too late for this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
We don't worry too much about countries that say, "Oh, excuse me there, eh?" before invading.

Oh, I dunno. The last time Canadians said that, we let them walk right in and burn down the White House.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this will do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:
[q="DarrellKH"]We don't worry too much about countries that say, "Oh, excuse me there, eh?" before invading.

Oh, I dunno. The last time Canadians said that, we let them walk right in and burn down the White House.

It was British not Canadian troops that burned down the White House during the War of 1812 and it was in retaliation for the Americans burning down the Parliament Buildings of Upper Canada in the Battle of York a year earlier.

Those are British redcoats in that picture of yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Hmmm...

No, I'm still having a hard time taking a Canadian invasion scenario seriously. Could you work Gamera or Mecha-Godzilla into the title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that time was also very tense due to inaction to curb fenian raids and other border issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Totally legitimate topic for serious discussion.

Not really.

We'll remain on defense in the north (Canada can have Detroit if they want it.) but we'll conduct a preemptive intervention (Oooops, I mean a kinetic military action!) in the south:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Hmmm...

No, I'm still having a hard time taking a Canadian invasion scenario seriously. Could you work Gamera or Mecha-Godzilla into the title?

How about a friendly re-enactment in 2014? Lots of parties and celebration bonfires!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:

What color were the Canadian troops wearing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My serious response is that for the near future at least, an invasion of the U.S. is not plausible. If conditions changed so as to make it a real possibility, U.S. posture would adapt accordingly. Another way of looking it is that you'd have to come up with an answer for how we would be invaded before you could reasonably examine how we would respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think China will invade Hawaii any time soon, but the threat from the People Down Under worries me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coney
Croatia
Zaprešić
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that New Hampshire and Vermont had so many switchbacks in their mountian roads for plenty of ambush opportunities against a possible Canadian invasion.

I was disappointed with the North Dakotans when I learned that they had not been as vigilant with their defense measures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People down under?
Quote:
but the threat from the People Down Under worries me.

You're worried about the Australians?

While they might, in fact, be a threat to our beer supply, I think mostly we get along fine.

Or are the "people down under" you're referring to orcs and trolls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
My serious response is that for the near future at least, an invasion of the U.S. is not plausible. If conditions changed so as to make it a real possibility, U.S. posture would adapt accordingly. Another way of looking it is that you'd have to come up with an answer for how we would be invaded before you could reasonably examine how we would respond.

Yeah, I don't expect Canadian or Mexican military engagement. I just wonder tactically which is better defended, and which geographically would be easier to defend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
mikecl wrote:

What color were the Canadian troops wearing?

The colors of Canadian troops of the time run the gamut...because Canadian forces were essentially militia and light regulars from a variety of units.

The Voltigeurs for instance wore light green to grey to off white. Other regiments of the time were the Canadian Light Dragoons, the Canadian Fencibles, the Quebec volunteers each with their own colors or in many cases no uniform at all.

The Canadians fought with the British in the War of 1812 of course but if you read any of the history you'll see it's British troops that are credited with burning the White House, not Canadian troops.

I don't doubt some of us were there though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geographically I think the Canadian border is harder to defend. We have a huge border that has many different geological terrains and weather patterns. As a military we are trained across the board and use tactics very similar to the American armed forces. After reading the Ranger Handbook I was surprised at the similarities between our forces and the Rangers in command dissemination.

I am not too familiar with the terrains across the Mexico US border but I do not think they very as widely as the north. Technologies of course close the gap a bit on ambush potentials and air superiority would be a non contest. I think the Canadian hope would be an armed insurgency. Even with gun control the number of guns in Canada per capita is very similar with our neighbours to the south (another reason gun control is not the doomsday it is made out to be; poor implementation aside)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Prepare to hail your new supreme overlord, Governator!

His term expired. You'll have to face the might of Governor Moonbeam, now!

The election could have gone terribly wrong, though, and we'd all have to deal with Mecha-Whitman!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.