Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having some trouble understanding the weather rules. Do I have this correct:

1. If no event cards are played, the weather for each turn is as set on the turn chart.

2. If a variable weather event is played and there is a chit for the current turn's months, flip the chit and use that weather for the turn (or the rest of the turn, in the Soviet case).

3. After that, the weather reverts to the turn chart going forward, even for the same "month pair" turn when it happens again.

4. EXCEPT that if a turn is shown on the chart as being a Long Winter, but the weather was changed at any point (in either player turn?) in the previous turn so it was not Snow, then that subsequent turn is Snow instead of Long Winter.

Is this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
> 1. If no event cards are played, the weather for each turn is as set on the turn chart.

Yes.

> 2. If a variable weather event is played and there is a chit for the current turn's months, flip the chit and use that weather for the turn (or the rest of the turn, in the Soviet case).

Yes. Just follow the Event card's instructions

3. After that, the weather reverts to the turn chart going forward, even for the same "month pair" turn when it happens again.

Err... I don't understand what you mean here. Can you explain some more?

> 4. EXCEPT that if a turn is shown on the chart as being a Long Winter, but the weather was changed at any point (in either player turn?) in the previous turn so it was not Snow, then that subsequent turn is Snow instead of Long Winter.

Right! But do not forget that Turn 5 has special limitations (namely a -2 CRT penalty for the Germans)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry--I meant to say (and I don't have the game in front of me, so this is just an example) that if the March/April chit gets flipped from "Clear" to "Mud" by an event card, that the next March/April will still be whatever weather is on the weather track (e.g. Clear) rather than Mud again.

If this is right, this brings me onto another question--does that mean that after the first weather event for any given month pair (where the weather chit has been flipped to its alternate side) that it would actually take TWO more weather events in that month pair before the weather would be different from the turn track? So, extending the example above, if I flip the March/April counter to Mud then get the same card again in the next March/April turn, I would flip it to Clear, right? So it would be the same as the turn track? Then on the THIRD event of drawing the weather card it would be flipped again (back to Mud) and different from the turn track.

Does that make sense as a question? Thanks again for such great support, Carl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
> Does that make sense as a question?

Eeek! Not sure... I'll try to understand... Please bear with me.

> if the March/April chit gets flipped from "Clear" to "Mud" by an event card, that the next March/April will still be whatever weather is on the weather track (e.g. Clear) rather than Mud again.

??? What do you mean by the next March/April turn? The next year's March/April turn? It certainly does not. You put the weather chit on the TURN TRACK Current Turn to indicate the change of weather. Were you putting them anywhere alse?

The weather markers shoudlg o on the turn track for the current year (where the weather is indicated). So when the weather changes it only does so for the next turn (or two turns if the event card indicates to change the weather for the next two turns).

The year after that keeps the weather shown on the turn track, unless it is also changed by event cards, usually just one turn before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
What do you mean by the next March/April turn? The next year's March/April turn? It certainly does not. You put the weather chit on the TURN TRACK Current Turn to indicate the change of weather. Were you putting them anywhere alse?

The weather markers shoudlg o on the turn track for the current year (where the weather is indicated).

Thanks, Carl. The problem for us was that we weren't putting them on the turn track at all, just leaving them off in space. Had we set them on the turn track each year with the proper side facing up we wouldn't have had this issue. But since we left them off to the side, the notion of "flipping" them was strange to me.

Got it now, though. Thanks. Sorry to be dense and thanks for sticking with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hey no problem. Thank YOU: all the questions will be very useful for the making of the future GMT "living rules" booklet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.