Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't quite find this in the rules. Can you help? The situation is a hero player with few or no cards in his hand but plenty of cards in his Life pool. Here are my two questions (I tried to make them answerable by a Yes or No)

1) If you enter combat with no cards in hand, do you HAVE TO draw # cards up to your Agility, or can you enter combat with no cards in hand?

2) If you enter combat with no cards in hand, or if you run out of cards in hand at some point, you're forced to use the cards in your Life pool in whatever order they happen to be in, right? Basically, you're just hoping for good luck because you can't strategize in any way.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
greekramos wrote:
1) If you enter combat with no cards in hand, do you HAVE TO draw # cards up to your Agility, or can you enter combat with no cards in hand?

I think you can still choose to add your entire agility to your strength, but with no cards in hand you would immediately be exhausted. I can't see any reason to ever do this.

Quote:
2) If you enter combat with no cards in hand, or if you run out of cards in hand at some point, you're forced to use the cards in your Life pool in whatever order they happen to be in, right? Basically, you're just hoping for good luck because you can't strategize in any way.

If you take damage, it would have to come from your life pool instead of your hand. You cannot ever play combat cards from your life pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do my best here.

1. No, you don't have to draw up to your Agility and yes, you can enter combat with no cards.

2. No, you can't play cards from your life pool, it is simply a way to track how much life your hero has left. You can't really defend yourself and a good Sauron player can inflict a good amount of damage on the poor hero who runs out of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see now the rules are very specific that you can only play combat cards from your hand. It doesn't actually say (as far as I can see) that you're exhausted when you run out of cards in your hand, but that's the implication: no combat cards means you're exhausted.

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have said "effectively exhausted". You may not technically be exhausted, but without any cards to play, you might as well be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Important: Before the start of any combat round, if a combatant
does not have any combat cards in his hand (or does not wish to
play cards), he declares himself exhausted." (p. 32)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see that if you are ambushed by a light weight monster, you could take the licks to save your cards. If you encounter them, your turn ends so I doubt it would help much but it may still be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 32, there it is. It's even labelled "Important". That's probably why I missed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Moody

Missoula
Montana
msg tools
Yeah, unless you are playing Argalad, Thalin, or have increased your human character's agility a bit, it's not advisable to enter combat with no cards. That being said, I can think of a few scenarios where it could work to the advantage of the heroes. If it's your last turn and your goal is to get rid of the monster tokens, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.