Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I feel like I need something... different. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with two different gaming groups. My older, larger (around eight people when we can all get together at once), core group is pretty diverse. While my smaller group (three of us) that I play with every so often tends to approach deeply strategic euros with the same fervor as myself, my core group has some members that just end up being a little bewildered by a game with too many rules. Don't get me wrong - they're all gamers, and all of them have tried a great diversity of games over the years and can role with the punches without giving up, but some of them are simply not the fans of deep euros as I am. For instance, I introduced Hansa Teutonica recently, and while some of the group loved it, others found it convoluted - and I don't even think it's that deep. I'm already hesitant on introducing them to Dominant Species (but I will!).

I love those types of games, though, so I have trouble picking out new purchases outside of that scope. I am open to a diversity of games, however, so I feel it would benefit for me to branch out a bit.

My collection should be fully up-to-date on here, if that helps with giving suggestions at all. Oh, and it seems like nearly everyone I play with tends to prefer a few games over one long game in a night (I'm frequently outvoted), so Dominant Species length games aren't always appreciated from the get-go. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like your desires don't match those of the larger group.

However, you might try Race for the Galaxy. It's a spinoff of a spinoff of Puerto Rico, played with cards. Like your friends, I'm not a huge fan of deep Euros, and like playing multiple short games in one night. But the role selection and economic engine building here might remind you of some of the longer games you like. The main reason it plays quickly is that players take their turns simultaneously.

The base game only allows for 4 players, but each of the first two expansions (Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm and Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium add cards to add players). I wouldn't suggest teaching people with all of the rest of those cards though!

Obligatory Cosmic Encounter suggestion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba may be a good one for you to try.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe HT felt too abstract (though I love it myself.) I'd suggest Endeavor as something that has mechanics more anchored in theme and has some strategic depth. Sadly, it's not currently in print (bug Z-man).

edit: add note about out-of-printness
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
Maybe HT felt too abstract (though I love it myself.) I'd suggest Endeavor as something that has mechanics more anchored in theme and has some strategic depth. Sadly, it's not currently in print (bug Z-man).

edit: add note about out-of-printness


Hansa Teutonica and Endeavor feel equally abstract to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hall
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Jexik wrote:
It sounds like your desires don't match those of the larger group.

However, you might try Race for the Galaxy. It's a spinoff of a spinoff of Puerto Rico, played with cards. Like your friends, I'm not a huge fan of deep Euros, and like playing multiple short games in one night. But the role selection and economic engine building here might remind you of some of the longer games you like. The main reason it plays quickly is that players take their turns simultaneously.

The base game only allows for 4 players, but each of the first two expansions (Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm and Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium add cards to add players). I wouldn't suggest teaching people with all of the rest of those cards though!

Obligatory Cosmic Encounter suggestion.


I agree with Jexik! RftG is a solid game, and with actions taken simultaneously the game plays very quick, everyone STAYS engaged, and it's solid mechanics make it a sure winner. Your only challenge is teaching everyone the iconography. In fact, this is the first game where my friends all seemed like their heads were going to explode during explanation, but in the end they became infatuated, and they aren't even close to being "gamers".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blox yes it's abstract, but scales way up to 4, simple rules but challenging to play
Stone Age surprised not to see ths in your collection, maybe I missed it
Lancaster of newer games this is great with 4 or 5 players, not as dry as HT, decent amount of interaction
Pantheon might work with your group
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A word of advice: try to get games that are of sufficient "depth" that would satisfy you, but make sure that it plays well with 2p. It's far easier to hang out with one buddy and say "hey, let's give this one a try" then to win over the entire group.

Also, +1 for RftG. It's my wife and my most-played game. We've played it hundreds of times - no exaggeration - over the past 18 months. The majority of those games were played 2p. And even after all those plays, we still love to play it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Your large gaming group might like Dust. It plays with up to six players. It's a world domination Risk Style card driven board game that is much more complex than Risk featuring a variety of units and special tactics.

It's easy to learn and play yet has a lot of variety and strategy and although you can be eliminated, it's rare. This is a game that's good for a large group and is fun to play.

It's may be the "something different" you've been looking for.

Check it out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If your gaming group has a lot of fantasy/d&d fans you might really enjoy Red Dragon Inn. It's light and fun, and with expansions you can have a lot of people in the game at once.

The only real drawback to it, in my view, is the player elimination.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Chaos in the Old World.
That is truly something different. While its theme, artwork, victory conditions and components (miniatures) deviate a good deal from the average euro, it's core mechanisms should be appealing to every eurogamer: selecting actions, worker placement, area control, victory points.
Combine that with asymmetrical yet balanced gameplay and you have a very interesting and different game for your group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjell Wiqvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Different: Get a Mölkky game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems obvious to me: The Resistance plays 5-10, but is incredibly deep, but also easy to teach and has very few rules. If you get it to the table with analytic gamers, you will enjoy it quite a bit after you figure out some of the more subtle aspects of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avocado
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lorna wrote:

Lancaster of newer games this is great with 4 or 5 players, not as dry as HT, decent amount of interaction


Ok, so this game is amazing, even for lighter gamers. I introduced it to my in-laws with minimal fuss. The only hitch is this:
Make sure when you introduce it, you thoroughly explain the order in which things are rewarded.

And explain it with high energy- it seems like there's a lot of rules when you explain it, but when you actually play, it's elegantly easy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SnugglesVelociraptor wrote:
lorna wrote:

Lancaster of newer games this is great with 4 or 5 players, not as dry as HT, decent amount of interaction


Ok, so this game is amazing, even for lighter gamers. I introduced it to my in-laws with minimal fuss. The only hitch is this:
Make sure when you introduce it, you thoroughly explain the order in which things are rewarded.

And explain it with high energy- it seems like there's a lot of rules when you explain it, but when you actually play, it's elegantly easy.


That was not my wife, that was a forgetting-to-check-the-username-currently-logged-in me
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.