Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that the new cards will be able to stand on their own without [u]some[/i] of the old ones at least. You won’t see replacements for versatile cards such as A Test of Will, Feint, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Huebner
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Less then 60 of the new 165 cards will be player cards and most likely only 6 heros at the most. There simply wont be enough to go around. I think its meant to be a continuation of the game so that you use your old cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Napoleon Baleine
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They have already stated there are only 2 heroes in the big box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really see how that would benefit players. I don't see any need or desire for most people to want >4 decks at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
I don't really see how that would benefit players. I don't see any need or desire for most people to want >4 decks at once.

When I played L5R regularly, I typically would carry five or six decks with me at a time. That was just what I transported - not what I'd have built, which could easily have been 10+. I usually had at least one per faction.

Having said that, I had at last estimate over 50,000 L5R cards. I think four decks out of a roughly $140 investment is pretty damn good, considering at least (more than?) half of the cards are for scenarios. Not sure where the $200+ figure is coming from; core set at $40 plus six expansions at $15 is $130.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
lfisher wrote:

When I played L5R regularly, I typically would carry five or six decks with me at a time. That was just what I transported - not what I'd have built, which could easily have been 10+. I usually had at least one per faction.

Having said that, I had at last estimate over 50,000 L5R cards. I think four decks out of a roughly $140 investment is pretty damn good, considering at least (more than?) half of the cards are for scenarios. Not sure where the $200+ figure is coming from; core set at $40 plus six expansions at $15 is $130.
Plus taxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
Plus taxes?

Those prices would still be after taxes at the store I go to in Waterloo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
Jotora wrote:
Plus taxes?

Those prices would still be after taxes at the store I go to in Waterloo.
Yeah, you can get all that for as low as $113.73 at a couple of places here in Toronto.

I was able to get my core sets for even cheaper through Amazon.ca; $24.98 per core set (after taxes and shipping). Mind you, I had to wait a couple of months after release to receive my copies.

Still, it was worth it for me. I hope to do the same thing with Star Wars: The Card Game if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no reason to rip apart a deck to play an old scenario that I can think of.

Plus, I bet you could get 8 decks out of both cycles if you really wanted to. Admittedly, it would take some clever deckbuilding to make them *good* decks, and you'd probably want to end up mingling some of the original core cards among many of the decks.

But you might be misunderstanding the game--the fun of playing is less about the number of player decks you may have than it is about the number of quests you're able to play against After both cycles, you'll have essentially 18 different games to play. Even if you did just have 4 decks, that would still be 72 very different types of experiences, and that's just talking solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
I was clearly talking about after you buy the core set, 1st large expansion, and both cycles of expansions is $200. And you guys say really you can only have 4 decks out of that. Which means you have to rip them apart to play old scenarios etc. Which frankly sucks.

"Clearly" is a matter of interpretation, obviously. Are you deckbuilding for each specific scenario? Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Fed
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
Are you deckbuilding for each specific scenario? Why?

A better question might be why wouldn't you?

I don't think it is a big deal to break apart decks and rebuild them. Having said that, playing solo, building different decks for the different scenarios is the point to me.

An example that comes to mind immediately is The Hunt For Gollum and Conflcit at the Carrock - one quest has a lot of difficult locations to deal with, one does not. I built very different decks for each of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.