United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Many on the right have cried "Foul!" when accusd of a lack of empathy...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/12/alan-grayson-tea-pa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am completely cool with the uninsured and the insured dying in equal measure (So far both groups still do) does that make me more or less concerned with my fellow human?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the point is - dying unnecessarily. He COULD be kept alive, but are we really so cold that we put to economic evaluation every human life - to decide if it's worth saving or not, purely through cost-benefit analysis?

Is that really where we are, now, after millions of years of evolution?

Taking - "Well...I could save him, but...what's in it for me?" - as policy??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

If it is not contagious we could eat the people that are not rich enough to live. It is not like that is not going on already. Most processed agri-industry food from US companies contains some amount of illegal immigrants... bread and cereal from China contains l-cystine made from process human hair. Don't even get me started on soaps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Well having just watched Torchwood's Miracle day season (the basic premise is no one dies of anything) I have determined that all dying is necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
Pulease. The audience loudly applauds Ron Paul's statement "That's what freedom is about. Taking your own risks." A few people call out "yeah" when Wolf Blitzer asks if "society" should just let him die. Paul then goes back to his medical practice days and points out that no one was turned away by the hospital.

With some handwaving that "someone" would take care of it.

Paul is an ideological idiot. The cheering teapartiers are sadistic morons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Paul is an ideological idiot. The cheering teapartiers are sadstics morons.

...and libertarianism is the most intellectually and morally bankrupt political philosophy there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tstone wrote:

From where I sit it appears these folk are also often "pro-life" .... fight for a person's birth ... and make health care very difficult to afford for them when they're ill.

what's with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
XanderF wrote:

If it is not contagious we could eat the people that are not rich enough to live. It is not like that is not going on already. Most processed agri-industry food from US companies contains some amount of illegal immigrants... bread and cereal from China contains l-cystine made from process human hair. Don't even get me started on soaps...

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I believe the point is - dying unnecessarily. He COULD be kept alive, but are we really so cold that we put to economic evaluation every human life - to decide if it's worth saving or not, purely through cost-benefit analysis?

Sort of yes. Authorities regularly make ciost-benefit analyses when planning expenditure.
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1808049,00.ht...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Society constantly makes cost benefit analyses with regard to health.

You are focusing the medical end of life situations unfairly. (And I think that we should acknowledge that not every person will ever receive every known treatment, but most don't like to admit it.)

If our speed limit were lowered it would save lives. I actually would prefer to see speed limits increased and/or abolished.

If we outlawed (and enforced) tobacco and alcohol, it would save many lives per year. I also oppose doing this.

If we enforced our drug laws, it would save many lives per year. No surprise, I'd prefer to see them eliminated.

Building pedestrian bridges, bike paths and pedestrian zones would save lives. This suggestion, I would actually like to see, but don't think it's feasible.

Outlawing fast food/mandating diets for overweight folks would save lives and medical costs. (Opposed here.)

These are just some examples of how our society constantly makes life and death decisions and often for purely financial reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
pronoblem wrote:
rshipley wrote:
Paul is an ideological idiot. The cheering teapartiers are sadstics morons.

...and libertarianism is the most intellectually and morally bankrupt political philosophy there is.

And anarchy isn't?

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
In my work I see many people without insurance die. 95% die using the medicare benefit allotted to them for hospice care. The Medicare benefit pays for Hospice services - not their insurance.

Also many insurances revert to Medicare when electing Hospice.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
And anarchy isn't?

I would take Chomsky's policies over Ron Paul's any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I believe the point is - dying unnecessarily. but are we really so cold that we put to economic evaluation every human life - to decide if it's worth saving or not, purely through cost-benefit analysis?

See Scott Russell's point. Tens of thousands of lives are lost each year on American roads. Drop the speed limit to 15mph and you would see the numbers decrease dramatically. Are high speed limits cold and primitive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
sbszine wrote:
Darilian wrote:
And anarchy isn't?

I would take Chomsky's policies over Ron Paul's any day.

Ugh. Chomsky.

*bleah*

Give me someone- ANYONE- who is even a BIT more intellectually consistent, PLEASE.

I'll take Foucault over Chomsky, any day of the week, as a cultural critic.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of consistency or any pure ideology. Give me a pragmatist any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
rshipley wrote:
I'm not a fan of consistency or any pure ideology. Give me a pragmatist any day.

Even a pragmatist can be intellectually consistent.

You consistently value 'results' over ideological purity.

Intellectually consistency, for me, is a baseline of how intellectually HONEST a thinker is.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be a tease... give us some examples of this inconsistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just set your life to be 30 years and forget about it. You could keep talking about it, but you would be wasting your life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
sbszine wrote:
Don't be a tease... give us some examples of this inconsistency.

*gah*

Not now. I'll do a thread on Chomsky some other time.

Mostly because I'd need to re-read some things.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
tstone wrote:

From where I sit it appears these folk are also often "pro-life" .... fight for a person's birth ... and make health care very difficult to afford for them when they're ill.

what's with that?

Christianity these days is all about acting exactly the opposite of Christ would really behave where he here. War mongering, gun fetishism, turning people from hospitals, etc. Bill Maher had a point about these people, they aren't Christians, they are "fans" of Christ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:
Pulease. The audience loudly applauds Ron Paul's statement "That's what freedom is about. Taking your own risks." A few people call out "yeah" when Wolf Blitzer asks if "society" should just let him die. Paul then goes back to his medical practice days and points out that no one was turned away by the hospital.

With some handwaving that "someone" would take care of it.

Paul is an ideological idiot. The cheering teapartiers are sadistic morons.

Paul isn't all bad. He's partially demonized by the media because he isn't with the "in" crowd.

However- agree on the "someone" will take care of it-- that's just another name for socialized medicine. Either you let people die or you have socialized medicine and are just negotiating how much.

And I heard they didn't just cheer but were also laughing at the idea of the person dying. Kinda over the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
XanderF wrote:
I believe the point is - dying unnecessarily. but are we really so cold that we put to economic evaluation every human life - to decide if it's worth saving or not, purely through cost-benefit analysis?

See Scott Russell's point. Tens of thousands of lives are lost each year on American roads. Drop the speed limit to 15mph and you would see the numbers decrease dramatically. Are high speed limits cold and primitive?

I'm hardly advocating for "save any life, at any cost, no matter HOW extreme the effort and expense and how marginal the benefit would be".

But there's got to be some middle ground between that and "Well, he didn't pay for his insurance, so I guess he dies. Damn shame, was only 30 and had a promising career ahead of him, to be taken down by such an easily treatable disease..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Paul isn't all bad. He's partially demonized by the media because he isn't with the "in" crowd.

No one is all bad I guess. I often agree with half of one of his thoughts. My impression isn't media created (they pretty much ignore him most of the time). The problem is that his brand of ibertarianism is a combination of selfishness and delusion about how the world works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.