PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
A British army (5 CU's) attacks Arnold, who has only 1 CU. The Brits play the Arnold special combat event card, removing him from the game (aaargh, the traitor!). An overrun occurs, as desribed in the rulebook.

The question is, do the Americans still get to play their combat card? (An actual combat card wouldn't make much sense, but discarding a harmful British associated Event card would.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so, as I believe Combat Cards are to be selected simultaneously...but I am a little rusty on the rules, need to get another play or 10 in soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
The instructions in 9.2, Step 1 are pretty sequential. The attacker plays first, then the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep following that sequence! The defender may play a Combat Card even without a general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ketchum
United States
New Castle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
Keep following that sequence! The defender may play a Combat Card even without a general.

In most cases, yes, but not in this scenario. The attacker (the Brits) play their combat card. Arnold is removed from the game. This makes it an overrun situation, and so the Americans would not get to play a BC. Unless there is a specific rule covering this exact scenario, the Americans would thus not be allowed to play a BC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't figure out from the rules if implementing overrun comes before the defender gets to play a card. Apparently, the people in this thread can't agree on it, either. It would be nice to have the designer's word on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that. In fact, the rules specifically reinforce that that would be an ovverun. (9.2, step 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.