Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Durin5000
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Post 639 to 665
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@878.X7KycFm5Ivf.4@.ee6d0...

"So here I am reading the General 26 #4 ...

Pg 17 (Before and Behind the Walls by J. Werbaneth) and looking at Regulars.

There is this statement: ...after the Romans take the New City (their easiest objective) and the Temple (their hardest), militia become more likely to appear as reserves than regulars or zealots."

This is stating that the Activation table in 18.611 uses the drm modifications table.

However, 18.611 states, "The die/dice roll equals the number of Judean Reserves released during that Rally Phase and is subject to the following modifications:"

This says to me, it is the modification chart is applicable to the number of Reserves ... NOT the quality of Reserves (that are rolled for on the Activation Table, i.e., Militia, Regular, and Zealot)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that that is what the Rules say. Fred says differently however. Has an errata been published ?

In practice, I don't think it matters. Reserves are taken from previously unplayed units. There are only 4 Zealots to bring on as Reserves. With 16 Zealots to begin with and 24 potential units to roll for as the New City collapses, the chances of generating these 4 Zealots is pretty high.

The remaining Reserve Pool will now have a greater percentage of Militia units in it, and thus, Reserve activation will bring on more Militia as the game progresses.

IMHO, the Judaean has no need for the slight increase in unit quality for the first 3 Phases of the Campaign Game. My suggestion is to play the Rules as written and interpreted by players to date. Use the Activation drm's to bring on Reserves more quickly, but use only the Activation Table to determine their quality.

~ Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kouba

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
But, 18.612 also says that "If there are insufficient units in the Reserve Pool to fund that callup, it may be taken from the Dead Pile."

So, it sounds to me like that Judeans are practically immortal. Whatever isn't retrieved from the Dead Pile for Replacements will be retrieved for Reserves, and that's when the unused pool has all been activated.

The area limits are sizeable, too, from 24 for the New City, to 40 for the Upper and Lower City. Between the unused pool and the Dead Pile, it's hard to imagine when the Judeans wouldn't get their Reserves. (Unless a unit type doesn't exist in the Dead Pile.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkouba wrote:
But, 18.612 also says that "If there are insufficient units in the Reserve Pool to fund that callup, it may be taken from the Dead Pile."

So, it sounds to me like that Judeans are practically immortal. Whatever isn't retrieved from the Dead Pile for Replacements will be retrieved for Reserves, and that's when the unused pool has all been activated.

The area limits are sizeable, too, from 24 for the New City, to 40 for the Upper and Lower City. Between the unused pool and the Dead Pile, it's hard to imagine when the Judeans wouldn't get their Reserves. (Unless a unit type doesn't exist in the Dead Pile.)

Yup.

The interesting thing is how well balanced the Judaean force pool is. There seems to be just enough of what is needed to push things one more turn without total collapse. And then, of course, the Judaean re-sets his line and the Roman has to do it again !!! shake

Once the line becomes untenable, all the Judaean needs to do is collect 6 Regulars of the same Faction and wait until the next to last Turn. Move - Melee - Shoot ... 3 more Roman units bite the dust. Units the Roman can ill afford to lose. The Judaean ??? Oh ... 5 out of 6 of those Regulars come back. whistle

Playing the Judaean with a suicide mentality is as much fun as playing the Roman with a "kill 'em all" philosophy !!!

Who cares if it's balanced ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is the one part of the game that unbalances it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.