Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not at all the type of gamer that is concerned with protecting their game components. I've never once put any of the cards of my games into card sleeves. However, after 14 plays of A few Acres of Snow, I can already see that the cards will degrade very fast due to the frequent shuffling. Card sleeves seem a nuisance to me due to their tendencies to stick, which is particular annoying for a game where you are constantly reshuffling. The only other option I can think of, lamination, would make the cards too stiff. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use sleeves that don't suck, like the KMC ones from Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wait until my cards are too beat up to play with, then put them in sleeves with opaque backs (theoretically) or purchase a new game. If I play it until it wears out, I figure that I've got my money's worth.

Why bother sleeving cards in good condition especially for a game that you aren't sure that you'll play enough to wear out?

My only (half) sleeved game is Perry Rhodan that I sleeved so I could put in English text and I think I have a couple that I traded for.

I will, however, second that if you get good sleeves, they aren't too bad to shuffle/handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a massive fanboy for Ultra pro premium clear.

I find they look great, don't stick and make shuffling easier not harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
qzhdad wrote:

Why bother sleeving cards in good condition especially for a game that you aren't sure that you'll play enough to wear out?

Because thick, quality sleeves make cards easier to bridge shuffle - a particularly good style of "edge shuffling" useful in CCG and deck builders, anywhere you shuffle a lot and particularly in cases where you aren't shuffling 50+ cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think sleeving AFAoS is a must since you cycle through your deck so many times.

I bought the Fantasy Flight clear sleeves (59 x 92mm).

They work great!

You'll need 3 packs of 50 (110 cards in the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Blake
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also used some FFG sleves. The purple ones. Good quality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Blake wrote:
I also used some FFG sleves. The purple ones. Good quality!

i bought like 300 FFG purple (clear) sleeves, and used them for Brass, AoI, and Rallyman. these are not high shuffling games, but the shuffling is certainly easier not harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the feel of linen-finish cards too much to sleeve this game. I hate the feel of sleeved cards in my hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminate sheets and things but would not laminate cards. It's tough to get a laminating sheet of the right size, so you'll probably have to cut them which means uneven sizes and sharp pointy (I try to round mine) edges. I think they would feel awful and be hard to shuffle.

sludge wrote:
The only other option I can think of, lamination, would make the cards too stiff. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the very thin sleeves tend to stick (as was already mentioned above). The ones from FFG are really good quality, and I have not noticed any "sticking around" with my FFG sleeved cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got FFG sleeves, they dont stick... I'd rather claim the opposite, they glide away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They do, but I actually prefer that to sticking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
But they slide only when new - after some shuffling, they'll stack nicely (by then dust and small particles have "roughed" up the surface a little bit...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Careful handling is key. I rarely shuffle cards, prefering to deal to piles on the table then combining them and then perhaps cutting or giving them a quick shuffle.

I also ask anyone I see bending/flicking/twisting/etc cards (surprising how many people do this without thinking) to stop doing so, and ask them to wash their hands if they've just eaten greasy/oily food (and I'll do so myself, albeit I cernerally avoid nuts and crisps/chips etc, when gaming).

I don't like card sleeves. I don't like how they feel, they give a shiny finish that glares in harsh light, and I find they stick after a while.

I won't go to this extent if I'm just playing with a cheap deck of cards, but if I'm playing a game I want to enjoy for a long time (such as AFAoS) I'll make the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really, really love it if Martin provided a replacement deck, but I suppose people could abuse this type of thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I would really, really love it if Martin provided a replacement deck, but I suppose people could abuse this type of thing...

In this game you really could use replacements for everything. If you lose a town or city, you need to use replacements, and all card amounts are necessary etc. Selling games in bits is probably not a good solution to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.