Subject: Another of my powers - Heir rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is pretty obvious, and I'm sure others have thought of it, but it's worthy of consideration. It's one of the "pithy" aliens.

HEIR
Collects Lucre for Lost Ships

You have the power to Inherit. Whenever you lose ships to the warp, out of the game, or to another player's capture, use this power to collect 3 Lucre from the box for each ship lost.

History: Having unusually short lifespans caused the Heirs' society to place top priority on providing for the next generation's security. Other races often see the Heirs as callous and greedy, but this is not the case; they are simply used to the rapid cycle of life, death, and wealth. The Heirs now seek to teach the rest of the universe to respect their elders.

As any player / Mandatory / Any Phase

Wild: When another player loses a colony that you shared with him, you may replace his removed ships with up to an equal number of your ships from the warp or other colonies. [As any player / Any phase]

Super: When use lose a colony (other than by voluntarily moving your ships off of it), you receive 10 Lucre in addition to your inheritance for any ships lost. [As any player / Any phase]

As I looked through my CE files and creations, I was unable to find the original flares I created for the Heir. So I had to make these up from scratch. What do you think of them? Is the Wild too weak? I usually try to make Wild Flares of Lucre powers not dependent on Lucre, in case they are drawn as one of the extra flares in a non-lucre game. And yes, I could have made the Super just, "You inherit 6 Lucre per ship" or something like that, but the one I went with seemed more creative and interesting.

Note the parallel between Zombie, Grief, and Heir. Not only are they all thematically related to death, but they are all powers that get something for each ship they lose. Zombie essentially gets a ship for each ship lost. Grief gets a card, and Heir gets 3 lucre. At the Mayfair scale, cards from the deck cost 4 lucre, which makes Heir a bit weaker in terms of raw power, but he makes up for it in flexibility - he can spend the lucre precisely how and when he wants.

[my usual rant]
Note also that while these three powers are otherwise well-balanced with each other, Grief and Heir both get compensation, while according to FFG, Zombie does not. When you place these three powers side-by-side, is it not obvious the Zombie should get compensation, and how it is significantly weaker than these others if it doesn't?
[/my usual rant]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
The wild is pretty situational, but probably effective enough. The Super is sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not bothered if a Wild Flare is situational. While it shouldn't be too restricted in use, that it couldn't be used for a number of encounters while it's in your hand is not a bad thing for its own sake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. situational flares make for easier decisions when you have multiple flares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.