United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to export the list to a spreadsheet... how can I do that, other than the very time-consuming and clumsy cut and paste from the site?

J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It still might be a pain to turn into a spreadsheet, but you can use the XML API to export the data you want.

However, if like me you like to write Python scripts and hook them up to a mySQL database, you can then do all sorts of interesting things. I haven't done a data refresh in a long time, tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Add them all to your collection, and then export them through the collection UI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Coffman
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
To do it a 100 games at a time:
1. open Excel
2. click on the "Data" tab
3. click on the "From Web" option
4. put "http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame" in the window that opens up
5. When it fully loads, there will be an arrow next to the table of the top 100 games, click on it and select import and you will have a very clean looking excel file with the top 100 games

To add games 101-200, just navigae to page 2 from the above link or add "/page/2" to the end of the above address, repeat as needed. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinoke wrote:
1. open Excel
5. When it fully loads, there will be an arrow next to the table of the top 100 games, click on it and select import and you will have a very clean looking excel file with the top 100 games

To add games 101-200, just navigae to page 2 from the above link or add "/page/2" to the end of the above address, repeat as needed. Hope this helps!

Awesome! Thanks and welcome to BGG! Have some GG to get you on the way to an avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Coffman
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Why thank you =) I have been a long time skulker on the site, but only recently registered after an almost complete loss of my game collection due to unfortunate circumstances encouraged me to register so I could bid on some auctions. But I'm new enough I don't mind the title!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
kinoke wrote:
1. open Excel

That's really cool, but how do you get all the data with each game (votes, standard deviation, owners, traders, ...)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
That's really cool, but how do you get all the data with each game (votes, standard deviation, owners, traders, ...)?

And we're back to the XML API...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.