Figo 3434
msg tools
Banks of the Anduin is the active location with no markers on it; in the questing phase, the players quest successfully, with a score of 3 or more.

a) Is it correct that you draw the three cards first [of which two are discarded and one is placed into the staging area] and then put Banks of Anduin on top of the encounter deck because it was cleared?
In other words, you first quest successfully, then you draw the cards, and then you put the progress tokens on the current quest card or active location?

b) The card which is added to the staging area due to the forced effect of The hunt begins doesn't contribute its thread in the current round because the questing result has already been calculated, Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
Banks of the Anduin is the active location with no markers on it; in the questing phase, the players quest successfully, with a score of 3 or more.

a) Is it correct that you draw the three cards first [of which two are discarded and one is placed into the staging area] and then put Banks of Anduin on top of the encounter deck because it was cleared?
In other words, you first quest successfully, then you draw the cards, and then you put the progress tokens on the current quest card or active location?

b) The card which is added to the staging area due to the forced effect of The hunt begins doesn't contribute its thread in the current round because the questing result has already been calculated, Correct?

a) Interesting - I've always played it that you would place the tokens on banks of the anduin and then draw 3.

b) Right - the quest phase has already been resolved at this stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be some debate on this, but from what I can tell, the consensus seems to be that since questing successfully results in placing progress tokens, you would draw the cards first, then place the progress tokens.

In addition to your first point, this also means two other things:

1) If you quest successfully enough that it would advance you to the second stage of the quest, you still draw the three cards first.

2) You can wait right up until the last successful questing attempt on stage 2 to claim a Signs of Gollum objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
Jotora wrote:
1) If you quest successfully enough that it would advance you to the second stage of the quest, you still draw the three cards first.

So the following passage from the unofficial FAQ 4.1 is incorrect?

"The hunt begins": "If the players complete this card during the Quest Phase, the card is immediately completed (according to the rules) and the Forced effect would not occur (needs official clarification, but this is my interpretation of the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
Jotora wrote:

So the following passage from the unofficial FAQ 4.1 is incorrect?

"The hunt begins": "If the players complete this card during the Quest Phase, the card is immediately completed (according to the rules) and the Forced effect would not occur (needs official clarification, but this is my interpretation of the rules).
According to my interpretation (which used to agree with this guy but has since changed). But of course, no one knows for sure.

Unless what you posted is suddenly the NEW general consensus. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this is one of those instances where the effects take place at the same time, and thus the first player chooses the order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Perhaps this is one of those instances where the effects take place at the same time, and thus the first player chooses the order?
I don’t think so. Placing tokens, while practically no different than a Forced effect, is something inherent in the game’s mechanics, and occurs at a set point in time. The question is when that is.

My arguments for it happening after (and not part of) checking to see whether or not a quest attempt was successful.

1) Very simply because the “checking” occurs first. You check to see if you’re successful, THEN place the appropriate amount of progress tokens.
2) Comparing the process to attacking: You check to see if an attack was successful (if damage was dealt), THEN place the appropriate amount of damage tokens. Looking at Frodo’s ability (“Response: After Frodo Baggins is damaged, cancel the damage and instead raise your threat by the amount of damage he would have been dealt. (Limit once per phase.)), you know this to be the case. If placing wound tokens WAS determining if damage was dealt, Frodo would be killed before his Response could trigger since ANY time a character/enemy card has enough damage tokens >= their HP, they are destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Fed
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
AdmiralACF wrote:
I don’t think so. Placing tokens, while practically no different than a Forced effect, is something inherent in the game’s mechanics, and occurs at a set point in time. The question is when that is.

My arguments for it happening after (and not part of) checking to see whether or not a quest attempt was successful.

1) Very simply because the “checking” occurs first. You check to see if you’re successful, THEN place the appropriate amount of progress tokens.
2) Comparing the process to attacking: You check to see if an attack was successful (if damage was dealt), THEN place the appropriate amount of damage tokens. Looking at Frodo’s ability (“Response: After Frodo Baggins is damaged, cancel the damage and instead raise your threat by the amount of damage he would have been dealt. (Limit once per phase.)), you know this to be the case. If placing wound tokens WAS determining if damage was dealt, Frodo would be killed before his Response could trigger since ANY time a character/enemy card has enough damage tokens >= their HP, they are destroyed.

I had played it otherwise, but your arguments are convincing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
I'm not sure if I got it right.
It's clear that you first check if your quest attempt was successful and then place the progress tokens. But my question was whether you place the progress tokens first or deal with the forced effect on The hunt begins first. If the latter, then Banks of Anduin isn't included in the 3 cards you draw; if the former, one of the cards is Banks of Anduin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
I'm not sure if I got it right.
It's clear that you first check if your quest attempt was successful and then place the progress tokens. But my question was whether you place the progress tokens first or deal with the forced effect on The hunt begins first. If the latter, then Banks of Anduin isn't included in the 3 cards you draw; if the former, one of the cards is Banks of Anduin.
Again, I'm saying that progress tokens are placed AFTER the Forced effect is resolved, so the Banks would not be part of the three cards you draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
official ruling here:
official ruling on stage 1 forced effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what happen if legolas's ability completed that stage? legolas when he kill enemy in combat phase, he can place 2 token on scenario card. if this happen there wont be that 3 card draw select 1 and discard 2 ? but the scenario continue to the next page ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.