Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There will be a meeting of the Kanata Board Gamers this Thursday, the 15th of September 2011. The start time for the session is 6 PM till 10pm.

The place is: Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church

Detailed directions follow, but it is quite close to the Wizard’s Tower and the Hazeldean Public Library.

Also, send me a geekmail if you want to let me know about anything - from suggestions for raising club attendance, club purchase suggestions, or just telling me whether you can make the meeting.

Feel free to use this forum thread to discuss what to play!

You may bring food & drink (be neat!). We can rearrange the tables & chairs provided we return everything an keep things tidy.

Our meetings are posted on meetup; check out http://meetup.gamesforall.ca/

Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (KCCRC) is 46 Castlefrank Rd (directions follow). There is parking outside. Follow the signs to the church basement.

I will be collecting a tooney from each person. For the time being, this will go into a boardgame library fund. The war chest stands at $218 and the library stands at 1 game (Automobile). Members can borrow from the library any time.

Visitors are always welcome. Come on in and check us out! There is no obligation, but if you decide to become a member it only costs $5 and entitles you to 10% discount cards at select local games stores.

Note if you want the discount cards (for Fandom II, Toys on Fire, and Comic Book Shoppe), let me know & I'll have them made up. 100% of the $5 fee goes to Can Games to support kids games and the cards are good for 1 calendar year from the month you get them.

Please add to this thread with your suggestions of what to play.

Hope to see you then!

Directions to the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (from the East):

1. Take Queensway/417 to MARCH/MARCH RD. exit, EXIT 138, toward CH. EAGLESON/EAGLESON RD./KANATA. 600m
2. Take the EAGLESON RD SOUTH ramp. 0.09 km
3. Turn LEFT onto EAGLESON RD/CHEMIN EAGLESON/RR-49 S. 2.1 km
4. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto HAZELDEAN RD/CHEMIN HAZELDEAN/RR-36 1.3 km
5. Turn LEFT onto CASTLEFRANK RD/CHEMIN CASTLEFRANK. 0.3 km
6. 46 CASTLEFRANK ROAD is on your left at the stop sign.
7. Go up the hill to the church and park at the top. There will be a sign on the church doors near the parking lot directing you the rest of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there and a friend from work said he plans on coming as well. He expressed an interest in trying Puerto Rico so I'll be bring that among other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
I am optimistic that I will finally be able to make it to one of these, at least for a short while.

Edit: Glad I did...thanks for welcoming this newbie and will try to make it out more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a good turnout with 11 last night including 3 newcomers. Games that were played included Can't Stop, TransAmerica, Tsuro, Puerto Rico, Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, Lascaux and Tichu.

See you in 2 weeks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damnit, I'm always absent when LNOE hits the table. Maybe I need to bring my own copy more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
Damnit, I'm always absent when LNOE hits the table. Maybe I need to bring my own copy more often.

Too bad you missed it Adam. It was a great game and VERY close.
We had a full table of 6 players (2 zombie players and 4 hero players). We played the Escape in the Truck scenario.

At the start of the game, one of the Heroes (starting in the centre) drew a Hero card to immediately find the keys.

But the game still came down right to the last round. With time running out the heroes had both keys and gasoline, they were on the truck space and then I, being one of the zombies, played the "Last Night on Earth" card. This card makes a male and female hero miss their turn as they decide that this could be the end.

To add some humour, the only male character left was the priest.

But, as it happens, the priest has a chance to cancel zombie cards and the heroes snatched victory out of the jaws of a pack of zombies.

It was a great game. Steve, one of the hero players, said afterward that he was sweating from the tension. That alone made LNOE worth the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
mvalenta wrote:
We had a good turnout with 11 last night including 3 newcomers. Games that were played included Can't Stop, TransAmerica, Tsuro, Puerto Rico, Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, Lascaux and Tichu.

See you in 2 weeks...

I went out the next day to the Comic book shoppe and bought Lascaux and TransEuropa.

Both of these are the kind of games I can use to rope non-gaming friends and family into playing. They are fast, easy to learn and fun.

An interesting difference, by the way, between TransAmerica and TransEuropa is the fact that in TransAmerica, each city card has a picture of the map that shows you where the city is on the board while in TransEuropa, they assume you know your geography and have instead included a nice bit of art that is related to the city on the card.

One of these days I'll have to play Tichu. I've never played.

Great game night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Lockridge wrote:
I went out the next day to the Comic book shoppe and bought Lascaux and TransEuropa.

LOL - I went out and bought Tsuro the next day from them (I see it being a perfect way to get my non-gamer wife "in the mood" hehe).

Also got a Sesame Street stuffy for my two-year-old daughter, who's too young to game with Daddy, but won't be able to escape Candy Land next year (muahahaha).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.