Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

No Retreat!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Counterattacking more than one unit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erez Ben-Aharon
Australia
Civic Square
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What happens when you get a counterattack result attacking one unit with two+ of yours, does the defending unit now counter attacks one of your units or both?

Usually you cannot attack more than one target hex, so I am not sure how to resolve the situation of counter-attacking more than one hex?

Regards,
Erez.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abeheron wrote:
What happens when you get a counterattack result attacking one unit with two+ of yours, does the defending unit now counter attacks one of your units or both?

Usually you cannot attack more than one target hex, so I am not sure how to resolve the situation of counter-attacking more than one hex?

Regards,
Erez.


You just counterattack both hexes at the same time. This should not cause undu problems, since in a counter-attack the terrain defensive CRT shifts do not apply. If there is a terrain that allows an Armor bonus, and the other not, then the defending player (the one that is counter-attacked) can chose whichof the hexes will be used for the Armour chifts.

Rule 10.7.2:

If the defender counterattacks, remove any Support marker
and discard played cards for that battle and go back to
Step 1 in the Battle Procedure; i.e., start a brand new battle
repeating all of the Steps. This new battle must include the
exact same units as in the initial battle, only this time, the
counterattacking player becomes the attacker (the other
player is the defender) and no terrain shift modifiers are used
(although other terrain effects that negate armor shifts and
multi-hex advance still apply).


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pericles Boutos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Results therefore apply to all defending hexes or does the defender decide?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erez Ben-Aharon
Australia
Civic Square
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Carl, sorry if it appears a duplication of where I posted it on the redesigned one (GMT version), but just posting here for the sake of Pericles (and maybe others who have VPG version):

I always assumed that 10.3.5 "Attacking units in a single hex may attack one or more target hexes" meant that if you had more than one attacking units in a single hex, u can divvy em up to attack different hexes, but never took it to mean that one unit can attack multiple hexes? (one 6-6 attacking two 3-3's in TWO separate hexes for 1:1?)...

If that is what this rule means, it can create some ambiguity with regards to terrain. In CA it matters not because terrain takes no effect, but in normal voluntary combat, it can be tricky - e.g: one of these 3-3 is in forest, the other is in clear, and the attacker is an armor vs infantry...is it 1 shift left because of the one defending hex in the forest, or is it one shift right because of attacker attacking the other hex in clear?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pericles1958 wrote:
Results therefore apply to all defending hexes or does the defender decide?


The result will apply to all the defending hexes.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abeheron wrote:
If that is what this rule means, it can create some ambiguity with regards to terrain. In CA it matters not because terrain takes no effect, but in normal voluntary combat, it can be tricky - e.g: one of these 3-3 is in forest, the other is in clear, and the attacker is an armor vs infantry...is it 1 shift left because of the one defending hex in the forest, or is it one shift right because of attacker attacking the other hex in clear?


The defender will choose which hex to use for the defensive terrain if there is more than one.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pericles Boutos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Carl.

By the way, I am enjoying the game immensely, in its solitaire version too. It is hard and challenging to have to change your mindset every time you change sides. Fascinating!

Pericles
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pericles1958 wrote:
Thank you Carl.

By the way, I am enjoying the game immensely, in its solitaire version too. It is hard and challenging to have to change your mindset every time you change sides. Fascinating!

Pericles


Thanks!

And sorry for the small rule problems. I changed/tweaked some concepts from the first edition (IMHO for the better) and should have quadrupled-checked everything more throughly, even after the playtesters gave me the "all clear" signal.

I'll adjust this in the "living Rules".

Many thanks for your precious input!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pericles Boutos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure to have been of help.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.