Subject: Stand and Fight being illegal on Gandalf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
First, I was really surprised to see this. I had believed the concluding sentence on the card was a mere clarification, not a definition, and at that the word "can" is perhaps not the best choice. But enough of that.

Now, I am really happy to see this. Even though I had a strategy to use a copy of Gandalf four times in a game (Sneak Attack, Borne Aloft, normal planning, Stand and Fight) I see this will help the game. And it will help me using this card for other useful combinations, finding new strategies. I had known and used some already but perhaps way too often I was wating to pull Gandalf one extra time.

Variety is good. Repetition can be dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was unaware of this clarification. Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is this clarification from?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
The heroes we deserve!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to know where you got this clarification. I see nothing printed on the card that would prohibit its use on Gandalf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
The heroes we deserve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...I completely disagree with this ruling based on the card text as printed. But that argument has been argued

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
jpraibis wrote:
First, I was really surprised to see this. I had believed the concluding sentence on the card was a mere clarification, not a definition, and at that the word "can" is perhaps not the best choice. But enough of that.

Now, I am really happy to see this. Even though I had a strategy to use a copy of Gandalf four times in a game (Sneak Attack, Borne Aloft, normal planning, Stand and Fight) I see this will help the game. And it will help me using this card for other useful combinations, finding new strategies. I had known and used some already but perhaps way too often I was wating to pull Gandalf one extra time.

Variety is good. Repetition can be dull.

I'm inclined to agree. The easiest way to build a successful deck is to just abuse Gandalf via cards like Sneak Attack and Born Aloft. While it's certainly a legal strategy, I don't think it fits the flavor of the Gandalf card. He seems designed to swoop in, bail the party out of a jam, and then depart; instead, many decks--including my own--try to pop Gandalf into play every other turn or so. Reducing the number of cards that can recur Gandalf will force players to utilize him more judiciously, which should be good for both game balance and thematic play.

As for Stand and Fight itself, I still think it will be plenty useful. Discard Westfold Horse-Breaker to ready a hero (and Imrahil, if you happen to be running him). Then, use Stand and Fight to do it again next turn. Or, recycle a Beorning Beekeeper to waste enemies in the staging area. Lots of interesting possibilities still remain despite the ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing about Gandalf... that's exactly what he does in the The Hobbit. He's shows up, saves the day, and than takes off again.

Thorin & Co. would have been troll poop before they even barely got out of the Shire if it wasn't for Gandalf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the decision from a game balance standpoint. I agree that Gandalf abuse makes the game boring. My partner doesn't even use any Gandalfs (Gandalves?) in her deck. My objection with the card ruling is that it seems completely arbitrary and I seriously doubt that was the way the card was intended to work from the beginning.

If the designers wanted to make Gandalf more balanced, they should have made his game text only trigger when he's played normally from hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
I have no problem with the decision from a game balance standpoint. I agree that Gandalf abuse makes the game boring. My partner doesn't even use any Gandalfs (Gandalves?) in her deck. My objection with the card ruling is that it seems completely arbitrary and I seriously doubt that was the way the card was intended to work from the beginning.

If the designers wanted to make Gandalf more balanced, they should have made his game text only trigger when he's played normally from hand.

You absolutly right my friend. I has join this game almost from begining since may and see already lot of problem with cards and rules. But now step by step they start to change things to right direction. I think they not sure about many things from begining but now after couple of months they understand more and try to fix it.They change the rules from the first FAQ to second so it was a sigh they are still not sure about some rules them self.

I still think the cards like Sneak attack or Northern Tracker is to powerful too. Specially Tracker.
Even 1 tracker is enough to stop worry about locations any more.
+ he have 2 attack 2 defence +3 life point. SO powerful!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Stand and Fight should just have "(except Gandalf)" on it and then FFG could just errata it in every FAQ for every other card they think is too powerful. Maybe one day we could get a special 5x7 Print on Demand version of Stand and Fight.

I understand Stand and Fight was used pretty much for Gandalf, but it's not like you paid only 1 resource for it. You still had to pay the full cost of Gandalf. I really don't think that's overpowered. Next thing you know, FFG is going to change Sneak Attack to somehow say they meant for it to not work with Gandalf because the combo is too strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
snailien wrote:
Stand and Fight should just have "(except Gandalf)" on it and then FFG could just errata it in every FAQ for every other card they think is too powerful.

FFG is probably thinking of future Neutrals. I could imagine a powerful Sauruman card that starts in the Encounter deck like Grimbeorn the Old. In the timeframe of the game he was still hiding his true intentions....

Hmmm... As an aside: How about a Neutral Sauruman that starts in a player's deck, but in certain circumstances gets discarded into the Encounter deck to be fought later? That would a peculiar mechanic, but very true thematically. He would have to be powerful enough to want him in your deck, but not so you would want to totally avoid him as an enemy.

Edit: reduced quote to pertinent details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulRadagast wrote:
Edit: reduced quote to pertinent details.

Thumbed for this. It really helps when people do this. Thanks. (And the ideas sound good!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
snailien wrote:
Stand and Fight should just have "(except Gandalf)" on it and then FFG could just errata it in every FAQ for every other card they think is too powerful. Maybe one day we could get a special 5x7 Print on Demand version of Stand and Fight.

I understand Stand and Fight was used pretty much for Gandalf, but it's not like you paid only 1 resource for it. You still had to pay the full cost of Gandalf. I really don't think that's overpowered. Next thing you know, FFG is going to change Sneak Attack to somehow say they meant for it to not work with Gandalf because the combo is too strong.

Perhaps. But then you've Unexpected Courage on Beravor. I think her ability should have been "once a round". It seems quite unfair that Glorfindel can use his effect once - even though he would have to pay for it each time anyway, and Beravor not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.