Subject: Should I get Thunderstone if I like Dominion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Dominion and I have one expansion (Seaside, got it at half so it was based on that I bought it). I haven´t played Thunderstone but it seems really nice but also very similar to Dominion.

So the question is, should I get Thunderstone if I like Dominion or will i end up thinking one of the game is being redundant? Is it better to expand Dominion instead? Or do the games offer enough variety that its worth to own both?

Are there any other card games that you might recommend? Im also thinking about San Juan and/or Race for the galaxy but they also seem very similar and it is hard to decide

EDIT: I play 2 player 99% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Are there any other card games that you might recommend? Im also thinking about San Juan and/or Race for the galaxy but they also seem very similar and it is hard to decide

They are pretty similar, but for two players I think Race will be a better choice. San Juan is much better with 3 players.

Thunderstone is different enough from Dominion that it wouldn't be redundant. I don't have expansions for either game, so I can't say whether adding those is a better choice.

I do prefer Nightfall and Ascension to Thunderstone, and would recommend you give those a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Thunderstone on Yucata if you like. It's a good game, but like it was said, it's a bit different than Dominion. Ascension is also quite good with the "do everything you can with your hand" mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Thunderstone over Dominion, because I prefer the theme, and I like the village vs. dungeon aspect.

Race is fun, but has a steep learning curve, and I haven't found many people who like it.

I'm hoping if/when I get Ares Project and Eminent Domain those will be popular as well in my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something similar but a little offbeat, Quarriors is all the hype right now. I know it's not cards, but you might like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you already own Dominion do not get Thunderstone.

In my opinion Dominion is a better balanced game. The set-up for Thunderstone can be a little tricky so that a balanced game can be played.
I have also found that Thunderstone is a little less exciting after the first ten plays or so but Dominion seems to deliver time and time again (it is by far one of my gaming groups favorites).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
If you already own Dominion do not get Thunderstone.

In my opinion Dominion is a better balanced game. The set-up for Thunderstone can be a little tricky so that a balanced game can be played.
I have also found that Thunderstone is a little less exciting after the first ten plays or so but Dominion seems to deliver time and time again (it is by far one of my gaming groups favorites).

That is one of the biggest problems with Thunderstone. Thankfully, there are some tools available to randomize things a bit more intelligently.

You can also play the Epic Thunderstone variant, which is a lot of fun. It's my preferred way to play now.

Getting back to the actual question asked, the games are a fair bit different. They have some very strong similarities, but the pacing and feel is different enough between them that I don't think it's redundant to own both, or even to play both back to back.

My personal preference is Thunderstone. YMMV.

As for RFTG/San Juan, I wouldn't compare them to Dominion or Thunderstone at all. RFTG and San Juan are both fun games. San Juan's more streamlined, RFTG's got a steeper learning curve but more variety and strategy. Unlike Thunderstone/Dominion, I wouldn't recommend getting both SJ and RFTG. It's hard to say which will suit you better, and ideally you'd be able to try both before deciding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially liked (but didn't love) Dominion, whereas my first game of Thunderstone was a flop due to a poor choice of cards in the village. I want to try Thunderstone again. Meanwhile, after several decent games of Dominion, I played a game with a bad set of cards. So neither one gets a high rating from me at this point. Take that into account as you read the rest of this.

The deckbuilding game I am looking forward to trying is Rune Age. I like the theme (as with Thunderstone), but from what little I have seen of Rune Age so far, it looks more fun. Plus the huge selling point for me is that Rune Age includes a pure co-op scenario, as well as low-interaction competitive and high-conflict scenarios. Of course, I might try it and hate it. But for now, it remains seductive.

I prefer San Juan over Race for the Galaxy, partly because SJ is a bit simpler. That means it's easier to teach, and more people will be willing to play it. I also have a natural preference for simpler things, and Race just feels like added complexity without added fun. I know I'm in the minority there, but I'm not alone.

I would agree with the advice to try Race before buying it. There is a good computer version you can try for free, if you can't find a place to play it locally. Learning Race will be FAR easier if you learn SJ first.

Other card games in that general family (none of which I have tried) include: Glory to Rome, Barons, Rivals for Catan, Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation, and Utopian Rummy. Drafting card games that are vaguely similar include 7 Wonders and Fairy Tale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone has a deep theme and lots of replay and combos. If you like the deck building, but want something lighter and fun, you might look at Quarriors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your recommendations. Quarriors seems like a good game but it is a bit pricy (i can get two of the other games for almost the same price) so for that reason i will wait, but it will go on my wishlist

I can´t let go of Thunderstone. The theme and gameplay really appeals to me, so I think i will get that one.

Nightfall is the opposite, the theme is almost repulsing to me (come on, vampires vs werewolfs, how cheesy is that?) but after watching a review the game itself with chains and combos seems really really interesting. So that is defenetly on my wishlist.

Rune Age and Ascension both seem good but (and this goes for all deck building games) i really don´t like that the games almost require expansions. I hate when reviewers say "the game is great but you need an expansion...", I think a game should deliver on its own to be great, expansions to me you buy after a year or something when you have played the game several times. I know that this might sound idiotic since all the games are deck building games but I still think you should be able to enjoy a core set without it require an expansion.

As I wrote in my first post San Juan also seems very interesting to me, too bad it is not a great 2-player game. I also forgot to mention that I am a bit interested in Lord of the Rings LCG also but it seems to suffer from the expansion-sicness

So, it really is gonna come down to the games that works best with 2 players... So of Thunderstone, Nightfall, Rune Age,
Ascension, San Juan, Race for the Galaxy and LOTR LCG, witch is good/not good with only 2 players?

(Hope you can stand my bad english)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Dominion.

I really dislike Thunderstone.

Read here to understand why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone and Race are both very good games. I'd recommend trying to get both sooner or later.

Thunderstone uses the same deckbuilding structure as Dominion, but it just feels different. The best explanation I can give is that in Dominion, you build an efficient deck and see if you can beat your opponent by getting more points. In Thunderstone, you build an efficient deck and then you do something with that deck by going into the dungeon and killing monsters. Both games are excellent. Thunderstone is basically a more-complex Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
As I wrote in my first post San Juan also seems very interesting to me, too bad it is not a great 2-player game.

San Juan is fun with 2 players, and you'll probably get quite a few plays out of it before you both figure out all the tricks. My wife and I are a few games in, and it still feels very new and fresh to us.

Among BGG voters, only 7.3% say SJ is "not recommended" with 2. A solid 62% say "recommended", and over 30% actually say it is "best with 2".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.