Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Impact in sieges rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question:
to eliminate 2 units that are besieged in a castle, must the attacker inflict 7 or 14 points of Impact?

Rationale for the quick question:
I am not sure if a siege battle counts as a regular battle, where the winner would get to eliminate an extra unit of the opponent just for being the winner. In this case the attacker would eliminate both besieged units with a simple Impact of 7: 1 unit for the 7 Impact points, 1 for being the 'winner'.
Personally it seems to me that the attacker shouldn't get to destroy the extra unit and should be forced to spend the resources and time necessary to inflict 14. Otherwise I am not sure that the defensive advantage of being besieged would make up for the disadvantage of not being able to fight back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Donovan
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You follow 8.9.4 for Siege combat - no additional loss is inflicted on the "loser". The attacker must come up with 7 points of impact per block destroyed, so 14 to destroy 2 defending blocks, or 21 to destroy 2 defending blocks plus one disk.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerosum wrote:
You follow 8.9.4 for Siege combat - no additional loss is inflicted on the "loser". The attacker must come up with 7 points of impact per block destroyed, so 14 to destroy 2 defending blocks, or 21 to destroy 2 defending blocks plus one disk.


thanks; I must have overlooked that rule, but I am glad I still played it right. And I am even more glad I'll be playing it right tomorrow. I am DYING to get this baby on the table again!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and this is among the reasons that it seems better to have two blocks in a castle space than three. 14 will wipe out the lot of them either way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
Yes, and this is among the reasons that it seems better to have two blocks in a castle space than three. 14 will wipe out the lot of them either way.


yes but you get to fight back with more than two blocks. why, you might even win. if not, you can still retreat into the castle with survivors.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
Dweeb wrote:
Yes, and this is among the reasons that it seems better to have two blocks in a castle space than three. 14 will wipe out the lot of them either way.


yes but you get to fight back with more than two blocks. why, you might even win. if not, you can still retreat into the castle with survivors.


well, whether to defend outside or inside clearly depends on a variety of factors that must be examined each time. In some cases putting up a fight may make sense; in some other ones the only hope is to offer siege and delay the opponent to divert his forces from somewhere else. I'd say it's very situational.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
[q="PeteyWA"]well, whether to defend outside or inside clearly depends on a variety of factors that must be examined each time. In some cases putting up a fight may make sense; in some other ones the only hope is to offer siege and delay the opponent to divert his forces from somewhere else. I'd say it's very situational.


I guess there could be times when you want to fight outside the castle with only two blocks. But if you have more than two, you HAVE to fight outside the castle. This is why having three blocks is so bad - it still only takes 14 to kill them all, and you are unlikely to get 7 hits with only three blocks, and so you won't do any damage anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.