Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's a couple variants we had when we played...

Enjoy!

1. You can play any amount of "rat" Pestilence cards in your hand on another player. i.e. you can play 3 Pestilences on another character causing them -15 population.

2. Whoever gets the Death Ship now has a +1 to their die roll. Like a negative improvement. (But you can send the Death Ship to another player by playing any number of Pestilence cards on them.)

3. With variant 1 we played a few times that you can also play any number of Bumper Harvests in your hand.

4. Instead of using population cards we used coins, bottle caps, and other trinquets to count as people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like variant #1. This give a weak card a chance to do some damage and at the same time unload your hand and restock on the next turn. I'm trying this next game, thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see poker chips speeding this game up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Stodden
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I made a DIY set of this game, complete with hand drawn art and heavy duty lamination from Office Depot, seeing as how expensive it was to acquire one of the rare sets that are occasionally being auctioned off on EBay. The set has served me for years now. It came in at around 60 bucks for materials, and about a week solid of work to develop my own set.

With the development, I ended up accidentally including some variants which we have played with ever since, and only recently realized were not included in the rules.

1. We treat the Mongol card as a nuclear option, as in, it hurts everyone. Originally, when you are at the end of the game and there are three or four hangers on who have 10 or 5 PP's left, and you have 15, you can end the game quick. The draw back of course is, in my variant, you also suffer damages- After all, no European Prince could call the Mongols in, like their own private auxiliaries on their opponents. The Mongols pretty much came in, messed people up and then moved on. So even the person who plays the card is not protected. This balances the Mongol card, especially late game.

2. We keep out technology advances on the table once they are used in war. People don't forget how to make gun powder once they have acquired it. So we treat technological advances as city improvements, except just in a war context.

3. We always played the Kamikaze rule, where if you lose your last person as the result of your turn's roll, you get to drop one more card. If you can stay in the game because you have the Mass Migration card, good for you. If you can put an earthquake on your opponent, which weakens him/her vis a vis the other opponents, even better for you. If you loose as a result of what someone else did to you on their turn, you are just out.

4. I (deliberately) retooled the prosperity and plague charts to make all low rolls, in both phases, bad and all high rolls good. So a 12+ in Prosperity nets you 20pp's while in Plague phase, you lose no one to the Plague. This allowed me to simplify the instructions on the bottom of improvement cards, and standardize the rolling mechanism. I did this as a response to what I found to be a partially unintuitive mechanic for taking casualties (Why would two skulls on the death die yield no casualties? for example.) If I had a licensed set of the game instead of a DIY version, I wouldn't have been able to play like that. For those interested in variation of their licensed set, you can just as easily make up new cards. (I also greatly simplified the population cards themselves, to make them easily distinguishable, but that is more in art design than game concept.)

That said, I like the idea of playing multiple pestilences and multiple bumper crops in a single turn. Especially during the Plague phase when 5 PP's can be the difference between life and death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.