Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffary Sonnentag
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 8 games now and have not even gotten close to winning a solo game. The best I've done was using Jenny Barnes with an ally (Eric Colt...No Sanity damage...yippee1) against Cthulhu. I had 7 elder signs on him (it) before I was done in by the adventure cards. I must admit this is a great deal of fun but die rolling to complete tasks is challenging with just one scroll, one skull and one tentacle per green die. Most of the adventures I drew had at least a row with multiple of these faces in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just played and won my first solo game as Carolyn Fern against Azathoth, both random. Her sanity restoration is probably what saved me and the fact that Azathoth doesn't have any lingering effects. I obtained 14 elder signs with three Doom spaces left.

I'm 90% sure I played correctly and only once, maybe twice, did I fail to complete an adventure. You're right that it's difficult when you only have one face on each die however I think it comes down to choosing which adventure to tackle and knowing when to spend your item cards. Also, did you remember you can focus after failing? That helped me a bit.

My strategy was going after easier adventures to build up my resources and then go after the big ones with Elder signs. Plus beating those harder adventures usually nets you more resources anyway. At one point I had a pile of clues that I ended up going through on my last adventure to get that last skull.

I have a theory that the game is easier with one investigator because you get to horde all the items and trophies on a single player before midnight rolls around. Guess I won't know till either my wife plays with me or I play with friends this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave James

La Palma
California
msg tools
mb
I've been debating whether to get this game specifically because I'll have to play solo (my wife doesn't like anything that takes too much thought to play). Both Don and Jeffary's comments have convinced me that I have to get this game. Some say it's like Yahtzee but I don't care. It's Yatzee with attitude and...I Like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I am enjoying it so far. I have had many different experiences.

Last night I took on Cthulhu with Drake and made calamari out of his face with only 4 doom tokens down due to his rampant spell use.

Tonight, in game 1, Yog-Sothoth devoured Gloria Goldberg, Mandy Thompson, Carolyn Fern, and Jenny Barnes before letting loose a massive belch and entering the world.

In game 2, Michael McGlen made a nice pair of Yig skin boots (with a few tommy gun holes in them).

But it comes down to effective use of clue tokens and items, character abilities, and lots of luck in adventure cards, dice rolls, and mythos cards. The game can be close or can easily be a rout for either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the game is not that easy after all? Up until now people have posted about how easy the game is to complete, especially when playing solo...

I'm still waiting for my copy, but this is a good turn of events Challenge is definitely needed in a Mythos -game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
pietu85 wrote:
So the game is not that easy after all? Up until now people have posted about how easy the game is to complete, especially when playing solo...

I'm still waiting for my copy, but this is a good turn of events Challenge is definitely needed in a Mythos -game!

Yeah, I was getting the impression this game was easier than one of the Kardashians.
So you can lose after all! Good to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pietu85 wrote:

I've only played one and a half games, but I find it to be quite tough. Maybe it's just getting my bearings with a new game,i.e. not knowing exactly how conservative or to be with items and clue tokens, staying on top of special abilities and focusing and all that. But hardly ever does an adventure card come up and I think, "All right! That'll be a cinch!" It's more like, "Oh god...another one where I'll need to roll perfectly..." And then you start getting monsters or adventures that lock up dice...Sheesh! It definitely feels like it's an uphill battle to me. Oh, and in case I wasn't clear...I lost this game. Well, only through to one investigator's death though...game called on account of lateness.

Lot of fun though. I was getting a bit worried reading reports about it feeling very plain, just rolling dice with some spooky artwork to look at. But I feel fairly immersed. I can envision the little quests going on in each room in a very simplified, abstracted way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was hesitating buying the game because I would have to immediately play with a variant to make it more challenging.

I will mostly play solo or with one other player... so the theme of this thread seems to be it isn't that easy to win solo... which will suit me just fine.

By the way, love the bit about making Calamari out of Cthulhu's face! And barbecue his wings too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been able to play one solo game, but it went very poorly for me. I apologize, I don't remember the character and GOO I played with, but I do remember having a very difficult time completing tasks. Some of the adventure cards I played, if you lost one or two dice due to task failure, you were SOL for the rest of the card. Once I got into battle with the GOO, I probably took away half of the doom tokens before getting obliterated. I do remember the GOO's attack was I had to sacrifice a trophy or be consumed, and I went in to battle with 4 trophies.

Like I said, that's only after one play, but the luck of the dice roll and the the removal of dice per failure made it feel pretty difficult to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game last night with Dexter Drake and I don't fail any adventures. I wish I had documented it since such a boast should be met with some skepticism.

I got lucky and I didn't get any of the Adventures that effect you at midnight and the terror ones I was able to mitigate with clue tokens. My mythos cards were pretty light with many of them having no lingering effect.

Off the draw my unique item restored health and sanity, and I got both the spells that restore health and sanity, so I knew I could take huge risks and put myself back together.

I ran in cycles of using clue tokens to complete adventures with spells, using the spells to complete adventures with elder signs, and then back to gathering clues. I ended up with 22 trophies and 10 Elders signs. I needed 12 for Yog Sothoth so I just purchased the last two Elder Signs (the adventures remaining had gates but no Elder Signs). I had 3 Doom tokens, 2 from completed adventures and 1 from a Mythos card that made me choose 1 Doom or 2 Monsters.

I felt it was easier than multiple players, all the resources gathered on one person instead of getting spread out. I used up a few resources every encounter and made sure I got a few back. I think I even had 5 surplus clue tokens at the end. The dice were really coming up in my favor though I will admit. I had a few 3 symbol tasks I rolled in the first roll with out modification. That being said spells had an awesome amount of utility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I must've been rolling for crap when I played. I think I only ever completed two adventures, and failed every other one that I tried :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your adventures has a huge impact on this. If you only have hard ones you can't start on the easy ones to build up the level of gear you will need to smash through the hard ones.

copax wrote:
Man, I must've been rolling for crap when I played. I think I only ever completed two adventures, and failed every other one that I tried :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew B
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm 3 for 5 playing Solo right now. Mind you when I say Solo, I actually use 2 investigators. But, it's just me playing.

On both my loses, it honestly just came down to bad dice rolls. Not completing adventures from bad dice rolls pretty much leads to a failure. You need the items from completing some of the easier adventures to finish some of the tougher ones. And this just get worse when monsters start showing up. Add in a few double doom mythos cards and bam, the GOO is awake and my investigators are devoured.

On my 3 wins, I won twice by elder signs and once by killing the GOO. On all 3 of these plays, I was completing at least 2 adventures per cycle of the clock (Midnight to Midnight). And I was using trophies to buy stuff.

Strategy in choosing which adventure to do, or what order of tasks to complete helps. But, I really think a lot of this game comes down to the luck of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Kuchenbrod

Cary
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo : Make sure to build up clues, and item cards. Stay on the entrance for a bit and build yourself up enough to tackle smaller cards (ones that have better odds of beating it with less consequences) and you will be fine. Also if you are comfortable enough with the rules, I'd suggest running with two characters. That helped as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.