Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently pulled this old favorite off the shelf to give it a run around the block. The photo shows the October scenario start which shows the respective positions of Rommel's Afrika Corps and Monty's Eight Army. Historically the British break the back of the German defenses and send the Afrika Corps into retreat.

The victory conditions are centered on the Germans having to hold the line, literally until game turn 10 when Rommel ignores Hitler's no retreat order and tries to save his army. The design has interesting zone of control and minefield rules that cause a fair amount of tactical nuance. The game has three scenarios (July, September, and October) that cover all of the battles that occurred in this area.

In this session the British initially made a thrust toward Kidney ridge in the north where they eventually get held up. Ridges are very hard to capture as they cancel all retreat results that are the main CRT result, so you need to get high odds to achieve an Exchange or Elimination result to clear these locations. The Germans were able to stop this initial thrust, but many of the stronger German reserves were used to achieve this result. As it turned out a move in the South by the Free French supported by some armor eventually turned the Southern flank that diverted sufficient forces to enable a breakthrough on the coast road.

A really good time from an old favorite.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark

Nice to see someone else who still likes this oldie.I was just re-reading Mark Saha's old Moves #18 article on the game this afternoon. It got some bad press but I found it sort of enjoyable to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:
Mark

Nice to see someone else who still likes this oldie.I was just re-reading Mark Saha's old Moves #18 article on the game this afternoon. It got some bad press but I found it sort of enjoyable to play solo.

Funny, I also reread the old Saha piece. It is a great solo game, but that is true of many SPI games. Good to walk down memory lane. I find I continue to play games from this era when JFD was really churning out the goods with RAS giving them that distinctive look and feel.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of a session report of Empire of the Sun? I got interested in it after I started watching Enrico's video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Moorehead
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Another one to pull out of the closet and find time to play.

First copy of this I bought was at the college bookstore back in the early 1970's.
Yeah, remember when SPI flat trays were sold in so many differnet venues? After many moves, had to buy a replacement copy. Still a good game. Thanks for the reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
Any chance of a session report of Empire of the Sun? I got interested in it after I started watching Enrico's video.

If you go to the EoTS page and click on sessions, there are several. Here is a link to one I wrote on opening play.

http://www.boardgamegeek.comqq/thqqreqad/525380/opening-with...

Enjoy,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy

I first started buying my SPI games at the Hallmark Book/Gift shop out at the mall.I was shocked when for some odd reason I went down further then where the books were ans I stumbled onto all these games in cardboard & plastic flat game boxes and more shocked at all the different game subjects there were compared to Avalon Hill.

Oh those were the day's of heaven.
Even with all the great game companies out today and the ton's of different subjects and titles they will never have that special place in my heart as the old SPI,GDW,and the other smaller publisher's games had back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.