Subject: New Overlord Scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike smith
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Any chance of getting anymore Overlord scenarios? Only 16 official ones are available. Not interetesd in those SftF, I prefer the play tested ones. Memoir is getting low on the play rotation due to the lack of new Overlord scenarios. I'm afraid of seeing Memoir go away (in my gaming group) due to the lack of new stuff (Dungeon Twister anyone whistle)

We really need some Pacific Overlord scenarios.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps some members of Memoir'44 have made their own Overlord scenarios, so please gives us some links to your pages at Memoir'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart de Groot and I are playing all known OL scenarios using vassal pbem. Bart maintains and updates the vassal modules for M44, so expect to see some more on there soon.

FWIW I think that Pacific is the least interesting of the 4 theaters, but we're talking degrees of superbness whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
msmithscotland wrote:
I'm afraid of seeing Memoir go away (in my gaming group) due to the lack of new stuff (Dungeon Twister anyone whistle)

I know this is off-topic, but why the cheap dig at Dungeon Twister?

There have been 9 full-size expansions which each provide a brand new game. So there are now 60 characters, around 40 items, and 40 room pairs (not counting the promotional goodies). 3/4 player tokens have been produced for 3 of the sets, and Prison came with tokens for a 3rd player as well. There are numerous scenarios online and a solo option for Prison. All of these characters can be mixed and matched to play equal forces, full frontal, draft, and there has even been a campaign system. Expansions to Prison are planned for next year.

There are enough choices and strategic depth to this game to keep players busy for a long time.

There are not many games out there that have this many expansions or this many playing options.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gheintze wrote:
msmithscotland wrote:
I'm afraid of seeing Memoir go away (in my gaming group) due to the lack of new stuff (Dungeon Twister anyone whistle)

There have been 9 full-size expansions which each provide a brand new game. So there are now 60 characters, around 40 items, and 40 room pairs (not counting the promotional goodies). 3/4 player tokens have been produced for 3 of the sets, and Prison came with tokens for a 3rd player as well. There are numerous scenarios online and a solo option for Prison. All of these characters can be mixed and matched to play equal forces, full frontal, draft, and there has even been a campaign system. Expansions to Prison are planned for next year.

There are enough choices and strategic depth to this game to keep players busy for a long time.

There are not many games out there that have this many expansions or this many playing options.

Geoff

This isn't a dig at DT, but a general comment. Sometimes, when I look at a game and 9 expansions, I wonder how much it would have cost as a single game. Are we starting to fall into the CCG trap with some games... it kinda reminds me of the 'Build a model ship in only 200 weekly parts' magazine scam, There's no way anyone would pay £650 for the complete model kit, but in small weekly instalments.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
[q="gheintze"]
This isn't a dig at DT, but a general comment. Sometimes, when I look at a game and 9 expansions, I wonder how much it would have cost as a single game. Are we starting to fall into the CCG trap with some games... it kinda reminds me of the 'Build a model ship in only 200 weekly parts' magazine scam, There's no way anyone would pay £650 for the complete model kit, but in small weekly instalments.....

I will agree with you for the most part here. Expansions aren't always good things, as they sometimes make the games too intimidating for newcomers. I've avoided playing Wings of War because I can't figure out where to start... and look at all of the M'44 "which expansion is next" threads.

However, I always thought DT was reasonably priced. The base set was $30 and the expansions were all $20 (at least the US ones). Not too bad since there was a full game in every box.

In any case, back to the subject at hand. I would imagine that most of DoW sales come from products geared to the regular version. Overlord is probably only played by a subset of players, so may not have such wide appeal.

I personally love overlord, even playing 1v1 with my son. But I've never been able to get eight people together to play the full version (six is the closest I've come).

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Overlord format is the only way I like to play now, so when OL hits the online version that's the only way I will play there too.

Battelemap, painted miniatures, bespoke Overlord card decks and rules and I'm a happy bunny

I mostly play 1v1 or even solo.

On the other issue, my point is what deserves to be an expansion and what could be reasonably be part of a base game or a bigger expansion? Take LOTR boardgame where one of the boards was actually REMOVED from the base game and then sold as an 'expansion'

Going back to Dungeon Twister just as an example, how much would it have been worth as a single package as opposed to ten separate purchases... expansions are always overpriced for what they contain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike smith
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
gheintze wrote:
msmithscotland wrote:

Geoff

Memoir '44 Overlord is vastly superior to the two player game, yet very few Overlord Scenarios. Dungeon Twister 4 player is much more interesting to play than two player, yet they only have the base game out in the 4 player mode. Yes a "Ultimate 4 player" was to be released but never was. I know they had a French version of some 4 player ones, but who wants mismatched pieces?!?

Anyway I feel (hope wrongly so) that Memoir is missing the boat not making much Overlord stuff much like Dungeon Twister did with the lack of 4 player stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
For me, Overlord format is the only way I like to play now...

I agree 100% once you go Overlord, vanilla, breakthrough and even the campaigns lack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone describe to me the appeal of Overlord that makes it so great(besides playing with more people? Also, why 2 player overlord?

I'm not dissing it or anything, because I've honestly never played it. If I played it, it would probably have to be 2 player version most of the time or 1 on 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jgatkinsn wrote:
Could someone describe to me the appeal of Overlord that makes it so great(besides playing with more people? Also, why 2 player overlord?

I'm not dissing it or anything, because I've honestly never played it. If I played it, it would probably have to be 2 player version most of the time or 1 on 2.

Because of the grand scope. I like it with 8 players because it really gives the frustration a CinC had having limited communication with his front lines. You set up a perfect gameplan and then one jagweed field commander blows his role and the whole thing is ready to collapse.

But I love 2 player even more just because it doubles up the area, triples the command possibilities and quadruples the fun. Or something like that. There is just so much going on that it makes it a much richer experience to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgatkinsn wrote:

What Coltsfan76 said AND......

1. The rules are improved. You have up to 14 cards in your hand (dependant on scenario). You can play up to 3 cards every turn, but will usually draw only 2 cards back, so you can take more actions at the expense of reducing your hand size.

2. It is a hugely improved 1v1 experience, the ability to play with up to 8 players is a bonus.

3. If you play with 8 players you get a true chain of command experience. I don't know of another game that offers this.

4. Much more variation in the scenarios. For instance in METZ, the only way the Allies can win is by capturing the town, whereas the Germans can only win by medals. In Market Garden the Germans start with a tiny hand of cards but increase their hand size by one for each medal they take. The allies win by medals according to the scenario briefing but I like to play a house rule that the Allies can only win if they control all the bridges, because that was the whole point of the historical operation.

5. Thematic experience. Lay out a battlemap with painted miniatures and bespoke Op Overlord card decks and it feels more like a war room than a boardgame.

Oh and the printed O/L rules say to shuffle the 2 deckss to make a joint deck of cards. Never ever EVER do that. Each side should get an identical command deck of their own, otherwise one side can draw ALL of the killer cards which can spoil the game. I don't what DOW were thinking when they said to shuffle them ! yuk

Go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.