John
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of fan made expansions, however the problem is that it is usually a lot of work to add an expansion to your existing cards. So I thought it would be cool to create an expansion that is easy to add. All the cards in this expansion are not part of the supply, and are never shuffled with any other cards, which means you can create these cards using something you have around the house (for example 3x5 cards). I got the idea for this expansion after playing the Leaders expansion for 7 Wonders.

You can also try out this expansion online at http://kingdom.servegame.org

You can also play from your mobile phone from the same website (I would recommend using a wireless connection if you don't have unlimited data, or if you have a slow data connection).

Rules: Leader cards are not part of the supply, and are never considered to be in play. Anytime after the beginning of your 3rd turn, you may active a leader by buying them during the buy phase.
When you activate the leader turn the leader card face-up.
Each leader can only be activated once.

Setup: Randomly choose 7 of the Leader cards and give each player one of each.
Each player then secretly chooses 3 of them and puts them face down on the table.
The remaining leaders are set aside and are not used.

Leaders: cost in ()
Xenophon(0) - When this leader is activated, +2 Coins, +1 Buy.
Aristotle(4) - 1VP; At the start of your next two turns (following the turn this leader was activated) +1 Card.
Plato(0) - When this leader is activated, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand.
Midas(5) - Worth 1 VP for every 4 Treasure cards (rounded down).
Hypatia(6) - Worth 1 VP for every 2 Victory cards (rounded down).
Pericles(6) - Worth 1 VP for every 2 Action cards (rounded down).
Bilkis(5) - 1 VP; When this leader is activated, gain any card from the supply costing 6 or less and put it on top of your deck.
Maecenas(4) - 1 VP; Activate any remaining leaders for 3 less coins than their normal cost.
Varro(5) - Worth 2 VP for each leader played after this one.
Justinian(6) - Worth 1 VP for every set of Treasure/Victory/Action.
Sappho(4) - 2 VP
Zenobia(5) - 3 VP
Nefertiti(6) - 4 VP
Cleopatra(7) - 5 VP
Tomyris(5) - 1 VP; When this leader is activated, all other players gain a curse.
Solomon(6) - Worth 100 VP divided by the number of cards you have at the end of the game (rounded down) (max 10 VP).
Hatshepsut(4) - Worth 6 VP if you have no Gold cards at the end of the game.
Leonidas(4) - 1 VP; At the start of your next two turns (following the turn this leader was activated) +1 Buy. During the buy phase of these turns, action cards cost two coins less, but not less than 0 coins.
Imhotep(4) - 1 VP; At the start of your next two turns (following the turn this leader was activated) +1 Buy. During the buy phase of these turns, treasure cards cost two coins less, but not less than 0 coins.
Archimedes(4) - 1 VP; At the start of your next two turns (following the turn this leader was activated) +1 Buy. During the buy phase of these turns, victory cards cost two coins less, but not less than 0 coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems interesting, but I didn't quite understand the setup:

icesphere wrote:
Setup: Randomly choose 10 of the Leader cards and give each player one of each.
Each player then secretly chooses 3 of them and puts them face down on the table.

So you choose 10 leaders and give each player one. Then each player chooses 3... Out of what? If I understood correctly, each player would have one leader at that point, plus a few leaders in the center. In 3+ players they wouldn't be able to choose 3, and they can't choose secretly anyways. So I probably understood it wrongly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:

icesphere wrote:

So you choose 10 leaders and give each player one. Then each player chooses 3... Out of what? If I understood correctly, each player would have one leader at that point, plus a few leaders in the center. In 3+ players they wouldn't be able to choose 3, and they can't choose secretly anyways. So I probably understood it wrongly.

You choose 10 leaders and give each player one of each. I assume you have at least 4 copies of each leader card. This is similar to 7 Wonders, but keeps Dominion's style of no asymmetry between players.

Anyway, seems promising, especially if you played it and thought it was good. Maybe post a session report? Each of these can only be used once, right? Once activated, they just sit there afterward, so Tomyris can only give one Curse total? That doesn't seem worth 5 to me, even with the 1VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Green
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If each player is given the same 10 leaders, there's no asymmetry at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree Tomyris seems a bit high as a 2VP leader is only 4 - and a curse can be removed by a player (depending on cards in the tableau).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:

icesphere wrote:

You need 1 copy of each leader for each player, so if you have 4 players, then you need 4 copies of each leader. You randomly choose 10 of the 20 leaders before the game and then each person gets 1 copy of each of those 10 leaders. After choosing 3 leaders, the remaining leaders are set aside and are not used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KernTheGerm wrote:

That's right, everyone is given the same 10 leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:

Anyway, seems promising, especially if you played it and thought it was good. Maybe post a session report? Each of these can only be used once, right? Once activated, they just sit there afterward, so Tomyris can only give one Curse total? That doesn't seem worth 5 to me, even with the 1VP.

Yes, each leader can only be used once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
I agree Tomyris seems a bit high as a 2VP leader is only 4 - and a curse can be removed by a player (depending on cards in the tableau).

It depends on the cards, sometimes it will be good, sometimes it won't. Since you have 10 cards to choose from, if it would be easy for the other player to remove the curse, then you probably wouldn't choose that leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
But when would I ever select this leader over a straight 2VP leader for 1 less coin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
But when would I ever select this leader over a straight 2VP leader for 1 less coin?

Like most cards, it's hard to know how good they are until you play with them, so I would suggest trying them out and then you might have a different opinion afterwards. I wouldn't underestimate the effect of a curse card that can be given as early as turn 3, if there is no way to trash that curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Works great on iphone 4 on verizon on 3G. Love it. Thank you for implementing fan expansions and AI! And this leaders idea is pretty tight. I wouldn't be surprised if we see this sort of thing in a future official dominion expansion.

Thoughts:
10 is a lot to digest along with the kingdom cards. I suggest choose from 5. Perhaps you could even have them random for everyone and draft like the 7 wonders leaders. But I see also why you might have chosen this method as it means that everyone has fair access to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KernTheGerm wrote:

People will choose different things. (especially as these are secret choices you wont even know what people chose)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:

Thoughts:
10 is a lot to digest along with the kingdom cards. I suggest choose from 5. Perhaps you could even have them random for everyone and draft like the 7 wonders leaders. But I see also why you might have chosen this method as it means that everyone has fair access to them.

10 seemed to work well during play testing, so I never tried different numbers, but I did notice that sometimes it took a long time for people to choose their leaders, so I'll try it out with less cards and see if it works better. I didn't choose to do random for each player, since certain leaders are better with certain kingdom cards, and I didn't want to give a player an unfair advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
That online implementation is terrific. Works good on iPod, too.

I was a little disappointed by the Leaders variant, though. I was expecting that they'd have some continuous effect, or that you could repeatedly buy/access them throughout the game. As a one-time and gone thing, it's just kind of "meh." I realize that repeatedly buying them throughout the game wouldn't work for all of them without some additional bits (e.g. VP counters), but most of them would work okay that way, I think, and then it would be as though the leaders are really having more of an effect on your kingdom. Change it to work that way and I think it could be really interesting.

Also, I agree that having to choose 3 from 10 could be a little wonky, especially in person and with people who have never used them and would have to read them all. Assuming that they're all intended to be balanced, I'd suggest dealing 4 or 5 randomly to each player, and then they choose 3 from those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. I tried having leaders that could be used more than once, but they ended up being too imbalanced. Maybe if there were a limited number of leader tokens that could be used to activate leader powers? I'll explore the idea a little more and see what I can come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Gainsburg
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I am not opposed to the idea, but the 0-cost ones seem very unfair and favorite the 1st player. Take Xenophon: Unless I am misinterpreting the rules, why wouldn't you just want to activate him on turn 3 in addition to whatever else? Yet only the 1st player gets to activate him. Other than that, cool idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ToughJuicePech0 wrote:
I am not opposed to the idea, but the 0-cost ones seem very unfair and favorite the 1st player. Take Xenophon: Unless I am misinterpreting the rules, why wouldn't you just want to activate him on turn 3 in addition to whatever else? Yet only the 1st player gets to activate him. Other than that, cool idea.

You misunderstood the idea. There is more than one copy of each leader, and every player can choose any out of the dealt 10. If you want to use Xenophon, you can, regardless of turn order.
I also misunderstood it at first (see my comment above). Just read it carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
icesphere wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

Thoughts:

10 seemed to work well during play testing, so I never tried different numbers, but I did notice that sometimes it took a long time for people to choose their leaders, so I'll try it out with less cards and see if it works better. I didn't choose to do random for each player, since certain leaders are better with certain kingdom cards, and I didn't want to give a player an unfair advantage.

After considering different numbers, I changed it to choose from 7 cards instead of 10. This still gives you enough variety to choose from, but reduces the time it takes to choose your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.