Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Reynolds
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group and I are slowly adding cards from the chapter packs to our play sessions, and as such are running into some new issues. Tonight there were two. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

1) I am playing Stark (Bolton deck + Knights of the Hollow Hill, for what its worth), and one of my opponents is playing a Sand Snake Martell deck. I am the second player to act (he will be the fourth), and initiate a power challenge, which includes Robb Stark, who has renown. After losing a challenge, Ellaria Sand moves a power from another character onto her. Which of these actions happens first?

My opponent argued that Ellaria could take the power from Robb's renown (that would have been his first power), while I contended that, since Robb didn't receive his power until after the challenge had resolved, that the power token technically wasn't there to take. Who's right?

2) This one is much more straightforward. The card Make an Example allows the Martell player to collect three power for his house once per phase after losing a challenge, if he can "count 8 power". Does that mean only that he has 8 power worth of characters in play? Standing? Participating in the challenge? If it's the first option (in play), how is that not drastically overpowered?

We're steadily making progress in increasing our comfort level with the new-to-us rules like Shadows and Seasons, and clarifications on these matters would go a long way toward that end. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kareyn01 wrote:
My game group and I are slowly adding cards from the chapter packs to our play sessions, and as such are running into some new issues. Tonight there were two. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

1) I am playing Stark (Bolton deck + Knights of the Hollow Hill, for what its worth), and one of my opponents is playing a Sand Snake Martell deck. I am the second player to act (he will be the fourth), and initiate a power challenge, which includes Robb Stark, who has renown. After losing a challenge, Ellaria Sand moves a power from another character onto her. Which of these actions happens first?

My opponent argued that Ellaria could take the power from Robb's renown (that would have been his first power), while I contended that, since Robb didn't receive his power until after the challenge had resolved, that the power token technically wasn't there to take. Who's right?


Your opponent is right. Renown triggers as part of the framework action before Responses can be triggered. So the renown would be on Robb Stark for Ellaria Sand to steal.

kareyn01 wrote:
2) This one is much more straightforward. The card Make an Example allows the Martell player to collect three power for his house once per phase after losing a challenge, if he can "count 8 power". Does that mean only that he has 8 power worth of characters in play? Standing? Participating in the challenge? If it's the first option (in play), how is that not drastically overpowered?


It's 8 STR of participating characters. And it's when you win a challenge, not lose.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Reynolds
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications! And sorry for the typo re: "lose" v. "win". That's what I get for trying to correctly remember card text and game scenarios at 11:30 on a work night. Much appreciated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Johnson
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan got it right, I just wanted to chime in - why Boltons with Knights of the Hollow Hill!? I tried that a while back, and it was a pretty sucky deck. The characters are so cheap you really don't need the extra money, and I can't imagine you need that much influence do you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Reynolds
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my friend's deck, so I can't really explain the idea behind it. Maybe BECAUSE most of the ownership-changing characters are cheap, he thought it would be worth the initial loss of the five gold in set-up cards for the ability to add two gold and get a lock-down on initiative every turn.

I wasn't blown away with the deck, but it worked out pretty well. I tended to play Holding the Trident as my first plot card since, without any set-up cards, I would be almost guaranteed to have fewer characters in play than everyone else, and thus provide my characters with a strength bonus. And, since most Bolton characters are cheap, I was able to get them in play pretty quickly over the course of two turns.

We're still figuring things out, so there will definitely be some trial and (mostly) error, but we're loving it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Unger
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
A Lannister always pays his debts.
badge
"There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes."
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
The KOTHH agenda most likely was there just for the initiative bonus. If that justifies the loss of the setup phase... I don't know.

I found a Bolton deck pretty much fun to play against. It really comes down to getting initiative as Bolton and playing the Abandoned Fort as early as possible to minimize the use of your characters by the opponent. It's still a deck that can fall apart quickly, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
danach81 wrote:

the renown would be on Robb Stark for Ellaria Sand to steal.


Ain't that the ugly truth?

Just to chime in; that's the main reason that Ellaria is so damn good. She just plain old shuts down renown characters on the opposing side.

You can happily throw her in the way of incoming challenges as a token defender (stopping unopposed) leech off any renown power from your opponent, then send her on an unsupported attack (go go Vengeful!) to pull the trick off again. So long as you have some kind of claim-soaking plan to stop her from getting slaughtered, she can rack up an enormous amount of power in a very short period of time (while simultaneously blunting an opponent's rush-based strategy).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.