Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
LotR:TCG gets a lot of play around my house. My wife and have found we really enjoy the playstyle. So far, I have resisted purchasing a second core set, which the former CCG'er in me knows would make deck-building much easier. We have picked up all of the expansions (up through Rhosgobel) and really enjoyed both the new player cards and scenario variety.

We don't typically build the decks for specific scenarios, but rather try to play a pair of complimentary decks that can succeed at all of the scenarios. So, here are the 2 decks we use:

Tactics/Lore

Legolas/Thalin/Denethor

3x Gondorian Spearman
3x Veteran Axehands
3x Winged Guardians
Horseback Archer
2x Landroval
Beorn
2x The Eagles are Coming
To the Eyrie
2x Quick Strike
2x Feint
2x Dwarven Axe
Horn of Gondor
2x Blade of Gondolin
2x Born Aloft
2x Citadel Plate
2x Daughter of the Nimrodel
Rivendell Minstrel
2x Miner of the Iron Hills
2x Gleowine
2x Haldir
2x Lore of Imladris
2x Self Preservation
2x A Burning Brand
2x Forest Snare
Gandalf
Radagast
Song of Lore

This is my wife's deck. She favors Tactics as she likes to smash things and Lore for the healing. This deck is much stronger in combat than the other and uses the Ranged and Sentinels in the deck to be a good team player. The 3 heroes provide a quester, blocker, and attacker which is nice and there are cards in the other deck to boost Thalin's Willpower. Thalin was chose over Gimli for the threat cost, but could be replaced when there are more options for Tactics heroes.

Spirit/Leadership

Elanor/Eowyn/Theodred

3x Westfold Horse Breaker
2x Eomund
3x Lorien Guide
2x Northern Tracker
Unexpected Courage
2x Ancient Mathom
2x Favor of the Lady
2x Test of Will
2x Will of the West
2x Hasty Strike
2x Galadhrims Greeting
3x Stand and Fight
Dwarven Tomb
2x Silverlode Archer
2x Guard of the Citadel
2x Snowbourn Scout
2x Faramir
2x Dunedain Warning
2x Dunedain Mark
2x Steward of Gondor
2x Sneak Attack
2x For Gondor
3x Gandalf
2x Song of Kings

This deck handles the questing and tricksy stuff. I like Theodred as he can spread his extra resource around to wherever it is needed for either deck. He often throws his resource to the other deck after Eowyn becomes the Steward of Gondor. Elanor was a hero I passed on at first, but she is quickly becoming a favorite. She can wait around during questing to cancel things like Necromancer's Reach (the bane of my existence) and if she's not needed, she can block decently well (as good as Denethor with a Dunedain's Warning).

Overall, the decks quest well and can handle most threats through teamwork. Neither would be successful solo, but I think they are examples of decks that can handle any scenario with only one core set.

Let me know what you think or if you found any of this useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Segers
Belgium
Brecht
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for posting these thumbsup

I haven't checked out your deck list in detail, but can these decks handle all the quests so far? I really don't want to build decks for specific quests, but would rather have some general decks that can handle most situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
So far I have been able to beat every quest with these decks.

The low starting threat gives you time to plan for the trolls in Anduin and Carrock, there is plenty of questing power and location management for Hunt for Gollum, there is enough encounter card management and healing for Rhosgobel, and it seems to do fine with Dol Guldur as well.

That being said, they don't win every time, but the tools are there to be able to win most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Running
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting these decks, since I too only have 1 core set and each expansion so far. We played Dol Guldur and I think we would have won but my partner had to succumb to fatigue. Each deck is super effective in what it does and I loved the synergy.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Siles
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shmitty wrote:

That being said, they don't win every time, but the tools are there to be able to win most of the time.

These decks are example of fairplay. Hate some other people that uses 3 core sets, probably don´t use 50 cards and cheat all time... to say they won 6-0 or better resultslaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Darby
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SO Happy I found this thread. After playing Escape from Dol Guldur many times I was ready to throw in the towel. These decks finally made that a reality. I was so happy after many many plays to finally beat it and feel that I could start moving on to some of the other quest. Thanks so much. If nothing else these decks have given me a great starting point to adjust and build from here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting these...
I like the game (solo) and would love to play a two-player-game somtime with two nicely planed decks an lots of interaction. But my patience with deckbuilding is too low to plan them myself.
This looks like a fine startingplace. Perhaps I get around modifying these qecks from quest to quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these. I think the challenge of making the core set work is more fun, and more of a challenge, than throwing in 3 of every super-strong card. well done - can't wait to try these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I was so excited to see these two decks posted on here. Me and my buddy play two decks that are very similar to these. We go through the quests in order and after beating the current quest we open the next quest and then we are allowed to use the new hero and cards available in our decks. It's been really fun and I enjoy it a lot. My buddy runs Thalin, Legolas and Gimli (he opted to take out Lore and add in Thalin when we got to the Khazad Dum expansion. He plays eagles and dwarf related gear and battles everything that he gets his hands on. My deck is similar to yours. I run something like 18 spirit, 28 leadership and 4 non-sphere cards. The deck I have started with me trying to Voltron Aragorn (leadership version as I hadn't seen the Lore one yet) with sneak attacking Gandalf as my other creative spark. I really prefer spirit cards to leadership, but I eventually realized how busted Steward of Gondor is (as well as Celebrian Stone on Aragorn). The nice thing about cards that are unique is when you run Eowyn, the second and third copies are no longer dead weight.

As much as I like Eleanor, I think playing a more leadership based deck with Aragorn is better. He gives you more starting threat, but he gels so well with Theodred and Eowyn. Theodred can help supply Aragorn with resources when he needs to ready after questing to help attack and defend. It helps being able to battle a little bit with this deck when the other deck is fighting everything. He also quests for more, which is huge. When you attach a Celebrian Stone to him, he is just off the wall. However, it must be noted that he is a jack of all trades only because of Theodred. As my Middle-Earth companion once put it, "Theodred is the glue that holds your deck together." The deck wouldn't work without him. It allows you Eowyn and Aragorn to accomplish a lot.

Either way, your deck is awesome and I hope you have as much fun with yours as I do with mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran McCann
United Kingdom
Belfast
Nothern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TITLE
Two Decks to Rule Them All (but only one core set)

And LOTS of expansions!!!!!
So NOT useful to me with only actually one core set! Sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kihon wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/837382/peters-core-deck-chal...

There are some Core Set only (no expansions) decks.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran McCann
United Kingdom
Belfast
Nothern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Kihon wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/837382/peters-core-deck-chal...

There are some Core Set only (no expansions) decks.

Bye
Thanee

Oh!
I'll have a look.

Dankeschön

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.