9 Posts

Quarriors!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Culling Active dice ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anh Khoa Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Have anyone thought of the idea of culling active dice instead of used dice ? I haven't read all the culling thread so i'm not sure if somebody have already mentioned this variant.

Basically, every turn that your creatures score, you can cull the same amount of dice in your active pool, not used pool. This balance the overwhelming advantage before : the player get to score multiple creature and get rid of lots of unnecessary dice, making his collection a lot more effective while scoring points. Now the advantage is still there, but the player must sacrifice some of his active dice and make his current turn less effective if he want to thin down his bag.

Furthermore, I think this variant can combine well with the "if you don't summon anything this turn, you can cull one die from your active or used pool" which give players more strategic decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggested this a while back. I've tried it a number of times and it does make for some interesting choices at the beginning of each turn when you score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to re-arrange the turn structure to make this work. Under the current structure, there shouldn't be any dice in your active pool when you score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
JgzMan wrote:
You would have to re-arrange the turn structure to make this work. Under the current structure, there shouldn't be any dice in your active pool when you score.

Yes there can be. If my critter just happens to be one of the ones that doesn't stay dead when killed (can't recall the name, a spirit perhaps, and possible some of the goblins) or makes me draw but not roll new dice, it goes (or they go) to the active pool to be rolled with my 6 freshly drawn dice.

And yes, sometimes I might like to cull one of those, but hey, that's random drawing for you

That said, yes, I suspect the OP is confused about the turn sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Escarra
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the idea culling from dice you draw in the draw and roll phase, after scoring creatures. You would have to sacrifice a dice before rolling. This makes the decision more interesting.

devil

Thanks for the idea guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anh Khoa Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Sorry for not being clear, I mean the active pool in the current turn (which we will draw after scoring), and moreover you must decide which die to cull before you roll them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Escarra
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's what I understood. I like the idea, will report back on the effect.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Escarra
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only one play but I sense that is it a much better approach at culling the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anh Khoa Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Thanks, currently our group are playing with this new culling rule, along with the "battle formation" and "culling one die every turn you don't summon anything". Still only 5 or 6 games, but til now things have been quite well compare to before though ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.