Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How to you handle items and spells that allow you to "defeat a monster?" I assume you have to be at the monsters location to defeat it? Do you treat it as if you completed its task without allocating any dice and also suffer any adverse requirements of completing the monster's task?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To the best of my knowledge you need to be in the same location to use the item, but you simply immediately remove the monster from the card and take it as a trophy without needing to apply any of its task effects (time passing, san/sta loss etc). You would then still need to complete whatever task it may have been covering/modifying if any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation makes these cards much more powerful, especially if the monster locks a die, since you normally only get the die back after resolving the adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Monsters are defeated and removed from an adventure regardless of if you succeed or fail the actual adventure. As long as you meet the monsters task requirements, or use a spell as you are, the monster is removed and given to you at the end of the phase (returning any locked dice as well). My interpretation just makes it harder to finish the adventure by still requiring you to complete the task, if any, the monster had altered since it would be removed IMMEDIATELY, rather than waiting for the conclusion of your attempts to pass the adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are saying even though you remove the monster immediately you still don't get the locked die until after all attempts to complete the adventure?

And what about other possible rewards for defeating a monster such as a unique item. Do you get those after resolving the adventure and not immediately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From pg.11 (bold added)

"Until that Adventure card is resolved, the Mythos card is no longer in effect, or the task on that Monster marker is complete, that die may not be added to die rolls and it's result may not be used to complete tasks."

That makes me assume that if the monster is destroyed, the die it was locking are immediately returned to the pool (since it no longer exists to have any task to complete).

Also,from pg. 11 (bold added)

"If a player successfully completed one or more tasks on a Monster marker (or a task which includes a Monster marker, as in the case of a partial monster task) before failing to resolve the Adventure card it is on, he still gains the Monster marker, removing all dice from the marker, taking it, and gaining any reward mentioned on the back of the marker. He does this before suffering the penalties for failing to resolve the Adventure card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadArkive wrote:
To the best of my knowledge you need to be in the same location to use the item, but you simply immediately remove the monster from the card and take it as a trophy without needing to apply any of its task effects (time passing, san/sta loss etc). You would then still need to complete whatever task it may have been covering/modifying if any.

OK, I think you've convinced me your interpretation is correct except for the part where you say you still need to complete the task the monster was covering/modifying and you don't need to apply any adverse requirements. What is the evidence for that? If "defeating" a monster is not the same as completing its task, then why don't the rules define "defeating" a monster as being different than completing its task?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.