Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Looking for some recomendations for a card driven game which could have a board although not essential also plays well with 2 or more, about an hours play time but could be more as long as there's not alot of waiting between turns (she gets bored) and maybe have some sort of building up of your property/side/team/force onlt because she like Monopoly shake I've looked at London (first edition) and Discworld: Ankh-Morpork as there both card driven which I like. We probably wouldn't like any war themed one's ?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll comment on 3 Martin Wallace games:

Ankh-Morpork and London both support 2-4 but are probably at their best with 4 rather than 2.

If you hate the Discworld stories avoid A-M; if you love them then it is the only choice; if you've never read them then perhaps try before you buy if possible.

London is a good game, but there are consistent claims that there is a broken strategy especially in 2-player. I've only played multi-player and it is notable that one of the main interesting features (poverty control) only really hits hard in 4-player.

The third game A Few Acres of Snow fails your not war-themed criterion but isn't "battlefield tactical" and can be seen as the making of a country (Canada) as much as a war (actually series of wars) between the English and the French. It has proved to be astonishingly popular and is Martin's "surprise hit" of a very successful year for him.
Look into it!

There are also the "usual suspects" like Race for the Galaxy (good for 2-players but for some it has a steep learning curve), San Juan, and the like.

Ra is tile-driven rather than card-driven but that is really a matter of semantics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Ticket to Ride.
London (first edition) is a good game too, but a littel heavyer. So I´m not sure if it is the right next step for a Monopoly fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say "card driven", OP, are you specifically talking about "card driven wargames" from GMT like Here I Stand or Twilight Imperium?

Or do you just mean "it has cards and cards play a major role"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yes just used as the main part of the game, like Discworld: Ankh-Morpork where you play cards that will do something or move you on a board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
Quote:

Yes just used as the main part of the game, like Discworld: Ankh-Morpork where you play cards that will do something or move you on a board.

Hmmm, if you're looking for a simpler game for you and your SO (you said "her" so assume a wife or girlfriend?), I'd recommend some card games that play as a boardgame. Games like Gosu, Race, or San Juan fit the bill. Even though they use cards, the cards are played on the table and your table gains in size over time, so it feels sorta like you're playing a boardgame. Glory to Rome and Innovation are the same way.

2 de Mayo uses special ability cards and a "hidden order" sheet, plus it's pretty easy to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the OP's collection:

You have and like TtR and Lost Cities, so I can recommend Jaipur, as a great light-but-not-shallow game. Dragonheart seems like another good fit in that niche, but I haven't played it.

You rated Dominion a 6 ("boring" with 2p). You hated Agricola and Stone Age ("boring), but loved Arkham Horror, Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, and Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game, showing a preference for thematic games. But you like Kingsburg and Citadels, so not entirely anti-Euro. And you enjoy Pandemic along with Arkham, so co-ops are fine. Heavier rulesets are ok, if the game is good.

San Juan and Race for the Galaxy have tableau-building like Citadels. Race has the second-guessing of hidden role selection, but neither have the attacks (until you get into the Race expansions). Race has a very steep learning curve, which is easier if you learn SJ first. Two other games in this space that I have only read about: Glory to Rome, and Havana, which retains Citadels-like attacks.

Lord of the Rings (I like it) and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (I haven't played it) seem like reasonable choices for a card-based co-op, assuming you like the Tolkien theme. If you wanted something lighter than Pandemic, Forbidden Island would be a good choice.

Thebes has cards, but isn't really driven by them. It's a nice game with fairly strong theme.

Maybe Notre Dame, which is partly a Euro cube-pusher but has some soul with the rats, and it uses card drafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
You have and like TtR and Lost Cities...Dragonheart seems like another good fit in that niche, but I haven't played it.

I'll second Dragonheart...a quick & intense game for 2, yet also fun, and very little down time between turns...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
peakhope wrote:
{everything}

Great great post peakhope, you should be like a boardgame councillor or something. 0.05 for your time, effort and understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Caylus Magna Carta?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin? Chez Geek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:

I almost suggested CMC, as I really like it myself. However, I'm afraid it might be "boring" for the OP (or perhaps not), and most people think it best with 3+ players. However, 55% of BGG voters recommend it with just 2, and another 18% think it's "best" with just 2. I haven't played 2p against a human yet (only against a computer).

So a cautious +1 from me for CMC.

[Edit: Thanks for the nice comments!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, especially your peakhope.

I've updated my collection of what I own http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/s1mon

out of that what she likes or has actually asked for another game is,

Archaeology: The Card Game
Carcassonne: 10 Year Special Edition
Fluxx
Fzzzt!
Guillotine
Lost Cities
Mr. Jack
Parade
Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League
RoboRally
San Juan
Tally-Ho
Ticket to Ride: Europe

I'm looking for something a little heavier with cards as the main mechanic, dice are ok too. Some luck in volved in the cards you draw but also some strategy on what cards you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so you already have (and love) Race for the Galaxy. Although I don't personally like it much (I prefer San Juan), Race was going to be one of my "final" suggestions. Maybe Barons is worth a look if you want something less similar. (I haven't played it yet).

Saint Petersburg is a solid game, but might be dull for you. I am enjoying Campaign Manager 2008 so far, but might be less interesting to someone outside the US.

In dice games, I didn't really like Alien Frontiers. I enjoy Yspahan, but it doesn't have much theme for you. Hopefully others can chip in with advice on the several recent dice-driven games that have been released.

The two LotR co-ops still seem like good options if you're open to another co-op. (There are other good co-op games, but you haven't said whether or not you are open to a co-op right buy right now.)

And since you own Jaipur, you should definitely get it to the table (if you haven't already). Jambo too, I suppose. I also thought of Biblios, which isn't "heavier", but apparently has some deduction/deception/bluffing elements that you might like.

I'm about to get Fairy Tale, which I'm excited about. I see you own Fzzzt!. Have you played it yet? It looks like a filler I might like (and there aren't many of those).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
You've gotten a lot of good feedback here, so I will try to avoid repetition. One you might enjoy is To Court the King, it's a dice/card game, not very thematic, but a pretty fun game and it scales up. Another might be Shazamm!, this one has a pretty good theme, you're two wizards slinging spells at one another from different ends of a bridge trying to push a wall of fire into your opponent. There's a neat blind bidding mechanic involved and some bluffing, only plays 2 though.

And I probably recommend this is EVERY thread I post in, but I cannot sing it's praises enough to do it justice, Utopian Rummy. This game is easy to learn, thematic, offers plenty of decisions and best of all is a blast. Everyone I've introduced it to (mostly non-gamers) have REALLY enjoyed it a lot.

Hope you find the game(s) you're after!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games you say that she's requested more games of match pretty closely with the ones my wife (who also enjoys and will play heavier games) would count among her favorites: Carcassonne, Mr. Jack, Parade, Roborally, and Lost Cities especially. Given that, the games I'm suggesting are the ones I think she would in context: Fairy Tale, Battle Line, and Biblios. You might want to try Jambo but there's a little more too it than the games you list. It might qualify under the idea of "building up what you've got", though, as you try to use your gold to get more gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Stars Are Right

Max 4 players, but best with 2 players in my opinion. When you add the 3rd or 4th player you will start building downtime between turns. Games with two players take about 45min.

Fair warning though, its a bit of a brain burner.

I will add a re-suggestion of Shazamm!, buts its 2 player only and plays in 20-30min. The positive thing is there is no downtime, since turns are simultaneous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for more suggestions cool

Quote:
I see you own Fzzzt!. Have you played it yet? It looks like a filler I might like (and there aren't many of those).

Love it, really like the whole bidding aspect and not knowing how much someone is going to bid for a card. Underated game, I only came across it after watching reviews from eekamouse.

Fairy Tale and Biblios are two I'm after but quite hard to get in the UK at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, there are simple variants for Jaipur that allow it to play with 3p: Variants for 3 or more players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's games that have card play that moves stuff around/interacts with the board may I suggest:

Notre Dame
Domaine
Arkadia
Blue Moon City
Tobago

All work very well with 2 players and could be played with more.

These are some of my wife's favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.