Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erez Ben-Aharon
Australia
Civic Square
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am surprised this hasn't been asked yet, but maybe I am just a bit thick...

If, as the phasing player - you attack a target hex (say a russian 4-3) with two or more of your units (multihex attack - one in each hex) - say 2 Hungarian 2-2's, so its a 1:1, hence CA is possible.

Rules state "this new battle must involve the EXACT same units", I am assuming this means that the russian 4-3 can CA the two separate hexes in one attack (using reclaculated odds of 1:1)? This is a bit different to the usual "a unit can only attack one target hex" approach.

If that is the case, what happens on some of the combat results? suppose a DR is obtained, do both units in both hexes retreat? Can the Russian unit decide which of the two target hexes to advance two?

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the unit will counteratack the two hexes at once.

[10.3.5] Multi-Unit Attacks: Attacking units in a single
hex may attack one or more Target Hexes in a single battle.
Note that if one or more such units attack, this does not
obligate any of the other Phasing Player’s units stacked
with or adjacent to it to participate.

Yes, both units in both hexes Retreat, and the Soviet can decide in which he will advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erez Ben-Aharon
Australia
Civic Square
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I always assumed that 10.3.5 "Attacking units in a single hex may attack one or more target hexes" meant that if you had more than one attacking units in a single hex, u can divvy em up to attack different hexes, but never took it to mean that one unit can attack multiple hexes? (one 6-6 attacking two 3-3's in TWO separate hexes for 1:1?)...

If that is what this rule means, it can create some ambiguity with regards to terrain. In CA it matters not because terrain takes no effect, but in normal voluntary combat, it can be tricky - e.g: one of these 3-3 is in forest, the other is in clear, and the attacker is an armor vs infantry...is it 1 shift left because of the one defending hex in the forest, or is it one shift right because of attacker attacking the other hex in clear?

There could possibly be other cases where it can become fudgy like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you attack more than one hex, the defender will chose what hex to use for the defending terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Carl, a lot of these guys keep asking the same questions but in different ways so they are not looking at other threads that have covered this already. Perhaps, if you have some time of course, you could put together a FAQ quide?

Cheers
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zhodanicommando wrote:
Hey Carl, a lot of these guys keep asking the same questions but in different ways so they are not looking at other threads that have covered this already. Perhaps, if you have some time of course, you could put together a FAQ quide?

Cheers
Kevin

Indeed. I am waiting for a good soul (with more time than me!) to put one up. If not then I'll do it in time.

This was already done For NR and NR2 (the VPG editions). Those are still valid in 99% of the cases.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/41783/faq-v-1-2

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/67314/errata-of-the-rules-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
abeheron wrote:
I always assumed that 10.3.5 "Attacking units in a single hex may attack one or more target hexes" meant that if you had more than one attacking units in a single hex, u can divvy em up to attack different hexes, but never took it to mean that one unit can attack multiple hexes? (one 6-6 attacking two 3-3's in TWO separate hexes for 1:1?)...

If that is what this rule means, it can create some ambiguity with regards to terrain. In CA it matters not because terrain takes no effect, but in normal voluntary combat, it can be tricky - e.g: one of these 3-3 is in forest, the other is in clear, and the attacker is an armor vs infantry...is it 1 shift left because of the one defending hex in the forest, or is it one shift right because of attacker attacking the other hex in clear?

There could possibly be other cases where it can become fudgy like that...

I'm a bit puzzled too. If one unit can attack multiple hexes (as Carls answer implies), doesn't that contradict rule 10.4: A given unit's Combat Strength is unitary; it may not be divided among different battles during a single Phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmb
It isn't being divided as it is still a single battle. E.g. German 7 attacks a Soviet 3 and 4 in adjacent hexes. The combat is 1:1 before any modifiers.

This is not the same as the German saying he will split up his 7 and put 6 against the Soviet 3 and 1 against the Soviet 4, which is what the rule is trying to prevent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thank you (again) for your crisp and clear answer. It must be my poor English combined with the counterintuitive feeling about this rule. I've never seen this explanation in a rule before and such a attack "feels" as being two attacks imho but hey, every game its own rules and I can live with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.