Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reasoning behind the colours on the original goods counter. If there is, I cant work it out.

I'm currently doing a remake of this game myself with my own modified counters and just wanted to check before I did something silly.

Also, as a special bonus question, I'm going to be using the Dathkadan map because it is awesome, but....

I'm still in 2 minds about putting the goods counters on the board. Yes, it can get a bit cluttered, but having them placed off the board on the side panels I think would be a bit confusing.

So, with the counters being on the board, I think I'm going to make new goods tokens about the same size as the originals (1.5cm square, or maybe round), so that they can be placed on the actual game board.

Although I initially liked the extra artwork showing where the factory and the factory good go, now I am not too sure, and in the original game, I normally just put the factory on the planet itself and the factory good alongside the normal goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If you're using Dathkadan's map, then the tokens on the map are designed to be 3/4 inches [2cm] (except the deeds, which are 1 inch [2.5cm) I'm finding through playing my copy that it's probably better to keep goods markers off the board. For me, the main reason would be that everything needs to start off-board in the first place: You'd have to move all the goods to the board once their culture is discovered anyway and it can create a LOT of confusion on an already cluttered board.

That said, if you're worried about readability of prices and and confusion about where everything is, then the market boards do a great job of separating everything out and keeping it organized, while the player aids that were made summarize EVERYTHING about the market. My wife and I have gotten to where we don't even look at the market board for prices... we only check to see if there are any demands or fares. Everything else is done with the player sheet.

::EDIT::
Oh and about the original colors on the goods counters... no real rhyme or reason to it from what I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. So, if you keep everything 'off-board', does that include the factory good? This means there is a space for it on the map which wouldnt be used.

I've never played the game with the goods off-board, so I cant really comment, but I would have assumed it made the game harder to play as you cant just look at the board and work out where you want to go - you'd have to look at a planet, then look at the goods off-board and keep looking back and forth all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with keeping the goods off-board. It makes analyzing the game -- what us hardcore gamers do! -- unnecessarily and annoyingly complicated.

If you are using Dathkadan's map, you might also consider some sort of recoloring or lightening. I recommend you play on a copy of it first so you can make your own impressions, but here are some of the options I was considering for a redo after making mine.

Review of various map options - looking for comments or suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got access to an awfully good quality laser printer and I can assure you that the map looks absolutely gorgeous printed out

Thanks for the extra vote on keeping the goods on the board. I'll only keep them off board until the culture is discovered, and then they go right on the board. I think it would make the game easier to play. And otherwise, the board might be a bit empty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I've got access to an awfully good quality laser printer and I can assure you that the map looks absolutely gorgeous printed out

Oh yes, the map looks wonderfully gorgeous just sitting there or hanging on a wall in the Louvre. It's when you are playing with all the stuff on it that it becomes a problem. Contrast that with Hansa Teutonica where the map is understandably bland, but the blandness allows the bright player pieces to pop out during the game.

You'll see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've actually been playing with the printed map already for the last 2 years, just with my original counters. So, I've not noticed any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Well, I've actually been playing with the printed map already for the last 2 years, just with my original counters. So, I've not noticed any issues.

Original counters on a dark map are fine. Dathkadan colors on Dathkadan map I find are not so fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for keeping counters on board. And +1 for better visibility than Dathkadan's very attractive -- but difficult to play -- version.

As for the first question, I have wondered this myself, and hope someone knows the definitive answer. Some of the sets of colors seem to have thematic similarities:

Mulch Wine and Chicle Liquor (beverages) are both yellow
Melf Pelts and Voll Silk (textiles) are both red
Impossible Furniture and Megalith Paperweights (furnishings) are both green
Rock Videos and Psychotic Sculpture (art) are both purple

But the similarities aren't perfect, as Bionic Perfume is not a furnishing, nor is a Servo Mechanism art (I suppose).

To me it suggests that there was some purpose in the colors originally, and that the rules changed after the counters were printed. Although, I have to admit, I have never read all the flavor text for the races, so maybe there is something in there that explains this.

For your remake, I would not worry about it. There is certainly nothing about the colors in the actual rules of the game as published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Repeating pretty much what others have said:

I definitely think the counters on the board are a must - makes finding what is available/in demand much easier.

I really like the look of the new board but it is really hard to use during a game. I think I am going to explore the lightened board options. Additionally, I think I'm going to see if I can make it a bit larger - I think Office Max will go to 36" wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.