Steam» Forums » General

Subject: What program should I use to make a Steam map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Lately my friends and I are trying to make Steam maps or to improve existing AoS maps to make them look a little bit better. Unfortunatedly, we are at a loss at how we can do it.

We are looking for a program that allows us to draw a hex grid and color each hex with a plain color or texture. Perhaps even copy hexes from other maps and paste them in. Nothing special but we haven't been able to find anything.

Any recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
HeavyMetal Map

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/HMMap_Features.htm

It's been designed for something very different, but it seems to me you could easily design Steam maps with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illustrator is the ideal solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use 'Gimp' - free, opensource graphics program (ala Photoshop). There are various ways you can get it to create a hex grid - just google it - and it's a very powerful program. It is a little unintuitive but it's very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Sanhueza
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download a pdf of a hex map from here http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/. Set the Hex size at 2cm (the length of one side of a Steam hex). Make the hexagon colour black and you can set the size of the document too.

Open that in an image editor, Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/)is free (or I use Photoshop), then select and delete out all the white space, so you're left with a hex map. You can then simply add names, colours or any other details to each hex.

When you've saved your image you can use a program like Posterazor (http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/) to split it up into easily printable sheets.

I made maps like this using this method although it did take a bit of time working out how to use Photoshop effectively...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Inkscape works well, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Okey, I got Gimp running and it works well! I have changed a map's pallete already, all I need now is to discover how to use textures.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Another isuee I have is that the hex grid page linked above me doesn't read the hedges, forcing me to use another A3 page just for one or two hexes. Any other grid I can use instead of that one? It would be cool to have a 20x20 hexes one and just split it with posterazor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Sanhueza
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Another isuee I have is that the hex grid page linked above me doesn't read the hedges, forcing me to use another A3 page just for one or two hexes. Any other grid I can use instead of that one? It would be cool to have a 20x20 hexes one and just split it with posterazor.

You'll need to change the size of the document up in the first option box.
If you choose "other" and change the document size to 50cm x 50 cm, that's a 13x13 hex map with a half inch gap around the page.

One point is a 20x20 hex map is absolutely huge, the original Germany map in Steam is only 16x13 hexes big...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
miggor wrote:
You'll need to change the size of the document up in the first option box.

Thanks! I know have a big one to work with.

Quote:
One point is a 20x20 hex map is absolutely huge, the original Germany map in Steam is only 16x13 hexes big...

Oh, yes, I know. The thing is, were I to replicate the map with several A3s as posted on the site, I would need three, wasting a lot of paper because the borders reduce the hex density too much.

Using a big paper I can draw without concern and then cut with Posterazor so that every map fits into 4 A4s instead of 6 with two crappy little pieces with only one hex in them (Cough, my copy of Portugal, cough)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.