Defenders of the Realm» Forums » Variants

Subject: Which additions will you use after the Summer League? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played Chapter 3 of the Summer League. It was an intense and nerve-wrecking fight against the Necromancer and her Undead, but we won after a gruelling 3,5 hours of playing.

We really like the addition of the Black Market and we will defintely add this to our regular games (as we think Monarch City will also have a healthy underground market in rare goods). Other permanent additions to our games are the Companions and the Water Elementals Group Quest whenever we play a scenario that involves Brimstone.

The Necromancer is an interesting alternative Agent to the ones in the Dragon expansion but I don't think we will use her very often as she needs to replace Saphire.

The Silver Guardian Dragon is also a great addition to the game, but I'm not sure how useful he is outside Chapter 3. The Silver Dragon Tokens are useful as they can give you Ambush, Battle Luck, the Thieves Guild and Wandering Companions. But the 'cashing in' of the tokens is limited when you don't play Chapter 3. You can only spend either 3 Tokens to kill all Minions on a location or 5 Tokens to Heal the Land. Not totally useless but I wonder if we will add the Silver Dragon as a permanent addition to our games.

The new cities have interesting new rules and I think we will revisit them occassionally.

Which additions introduced in the Summer League have you permanently added to your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Great question and your plans to include the additions you mentioned sounds interesting. Going to explore this myself after I first play all 5 chapters again. With all the other Defender games I have on my to do list that may be a while....

If the Summer League ever gets an official release, think it would be a great added bonus if it included suggestions for modular play. That is one of the things I love about the Dragon Expansion is that it is modular. Not saying I don't also enjoy the Summer League scenarios as is but finding balanced ways to incorporate elements into the base game allows fans more opportunities to enjoy the many great things in the League.

Think I'll try a game with Brimstone with the Water Elements and the companions soon. Good idea.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If these scenarios do become published in the future I will add a few more things as well as make many of the components usable in any games as players desire. That way players can customize their games as they like.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:
If these scenarios do become published in the future I will add a few more things as well as make many of the components usable in any games as players desire. That way players can customize their games as they like.

Richard

Sold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kennedy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I foresee my group also revisiting some of these fun additions after we finish up our run of the Summer League!

The black market and scrolls will be the most likely candidates. As for more versatility with the Sterling Cash Ins aren't too hard for a rewrite: 2 tokens: Sterlings Presence, move Sterling to a location all attacks against minions are rolled at +1, 8 tokens: Dragons Portal, move Sterling to a location, if you have a gate card that matches the color of that location discard it and place a Portal token at that site. 10 Tokens: Dragon's Strenght, Sterling Can change a hero card to the color of your choice for a single combat against a General. Season and tweak for balance.

I also imagine I'm gonna have a couple of extra potions and Hero Cards get stolen in my Black market deck as the Chapter 3 pdf didn't seem to supply enough backs for all the cards I had to reprint some extra pages.

And I would love to see a set of Scenarios like this published later as I'm sure the components would look pretty sharp and more variations are always welcome at my gaming table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.