Subject: Anyway to speed this one up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Im an old WOW-addict on the PC and I really like this game in general but the problem is that it takes too long to play! Every time I play this (2-4 players controlling 1-2 characters each) it goes on for at least 5-6 hours. Sometimes 7-8 with breaks and random chit chat.

The first 1-2 hours are great, after that im getting a bit bored and the last hour I just want the game to end! In other words, I love it the first hours but almost find it boring at the end. Is there anyway to speed the game up or should I just move on (like i did on PC) and choose another game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been kinda working on some variants to help this game along. One of which involves "crafted" quest decks based upon the overlord.

It'll still use the quest cards that are available, but would be broken up into a more cohesive "story arc". So no more "kill creature, draw random quest". Completing one quest will allow you to choose between two different quests, which in turn again branch out, sometimes they'll collide back into 1 quest no matter what branch you take.

I just need to get some time to work on it more.

Hopefully this would eventually speed up the game and make it more enjoyable for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps start an a slightly higher level?

The problem is balance. Perhaps:

1. Start all characters at level 2 (and claim one talent)
2. All characters start with 10 gold instead of 3.
3. All characters may purchase 1-2 additional skills to start (with starting gold). These may be lvl 1 or lvl 2 skills.
4. Randomly deal 1 triangle item card to each player that the player "can use". For example, if mail armour is dealt to a mage, deal another. Bag items or trinkets that are usable by all characters are valid items. Characters get one "muligan" if they choose - but must keep the second item drawn that is usable.
5. All characters start in their home bases.
6. In a 2-4 player game, instead of drawing 3 grey quests and 1 green quest, instead draw 3 green and 1 gray to start. Make a similar draw of quests for a 5-6 player game (as appropriate).
7. Start the turn marker track at 5 (or 7 - but that might be overkill), drawing any items into the market stack as usual but ignorring any events.

I've never tested this - so I have no idea how it will work.

Other suggestions:

1. Training and "spec"ing your character take the longest amount of time IMO, next to combat. I remove any event or destiny cards that allow for retraining or re-acquiring talents. This is a major slowdown. Also - encourage players to think about their build specs while it is the opposing teams turn. There is always something to do when it isn't your turn.

2. Share the load - when alliance finishes a quest, have the horde help spawn the new quest creatures while the alliance works out their rewards and vice-versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
I've been kinda working on some variants to help this game along. One of which involves "crafted" quest decks based upon the overlord.

It'll still use the quest cards that are available, but would be broken up into a more cohesive "story arc". So no more "kill creature, draw random quest". Completing one quest will allow you to choose between two different quests, which in turn again branch out, sometimes they'll collide back into 1 quest no matter what branch you take.

I just need to get some time to work on it more.

Hopefully this would eventually speed up the game and make it more enjoyable for some.

That sounds REALLY interesting, wether it speeds up the game or not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting at lvl 2 is acually a good idea. Also looking forward to Wired_wolfs variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galvornman wrote:
2. All characters start with 10 gold instead of 3.

...instead of 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Play it over several sessions?
All you will need to do is write down where the heroes are and where the blue monsters are. Stick the discards and market deck in their own baggie. Put all the players cards in a baggie. Done, you can pack up and continue next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, i'd just stay away from starting with the characters being higher level, for me, it takes away the enjoyment of being a weak level 1 and struggle to get more powerful, cause, after all, what i enjoy the most of this game is the absolute endless character building.
What i've done to speed it up is simply award double the experience, have more items, ignore the horrible (IMO) PvP rules and move the marker counter twice on every faction's turns so as to make it a race to defeat the overlord...

Also stated here is vital that players help setting up the opposing faction's monsters and plan their trainings on the other faction's turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By far, my favorite way to play this is to drop one of the factions and play the game cooperatively with 1-3 players. It takes roughly half the time to play. It also takes away the PvP, but I find that I don't miss it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unitoch wrote:
By far, my favorite way to play this is to drop one of the factions and play the game cooperatively with 1-3 players. It takes roughly half the time to play. It also takes away the PvP, but I find that I don't miss it at all.

That is also a good idea, i will try that. But do you play 15 or 30 turns? If you play only 15 how do you move the turn marker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 15 turns, moving the turn marker twice for each turn we take. There are a bunch of solo/co-op variants here in the variants section. The one by Niels Taatgen is pretty close to how we play it, though we simply discard cards that don't apply in a single faction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bang Youn Hwang
msg tools
We play both factions simultaneously...it isn't that hard to do and it makes this game a basically zero downtime game...you do need a lot of dice to do this however..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.