Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Cylon Genocide overpowered ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas T
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
In two of our last three games this crisis has come up in the latter half of the game. We always play with the CFB module and this crisis effectively kills the cylon fleet for the rest of the game.

Yes, it's a high number to reach, but with interrupts, OPGs and plenty of cards around the table it's usually an easy pass. Granted if it comes up just after a jump it won't mean much, but if the cylon fleet is in play it's more or less game over for the cylons.

It plays differently without the CFB as an attack card brings in a bunch of ships again, but that doesn't happen with CFB in play (except for 2 supercrisis).

We considered removing it from the deck when CFB is around, anyone think this would be a bad idea ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Describe Cylon Genocide please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"CRISIS: Cylon Genocide

Current Player Chooses:
Skill check: POL/LEA/TAC/ENG = 21
PASS: Destroy all Cylon ships currently on the main game board.
FAIL: -1 Morale, then: Launch Nukes, Launch Raiders, Activate Heavies

OR

Roll a die. If 4 or lower, the current player is sent to the Brig.

POST CRISIS: Activate Raiders, +1 Jump Prep"

It's a big crisis, one that the unrevealed Cylons will usually throw a lot into spiking. Taking the check on it is a big risk, since if it passes, it's great, but if it fails, that's the same fail effect as Fleet Mobilisation. In fact, it's worse: You Launch Raiders before activating them. I think it's fine. You need a few big win/big loss crises in the deck, I feel, and besides, the Battle of the Ionian Nebula means you still have a fleet come endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't always come up when there's a big cylon fleet. And having Helo work his moral compass there is a highlight if it happens.

And if there's a big cylon fleet, and humans manage to pass the skill check... that's a story for the ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always had this with rotten timing....
No ships on the MGB and/or not enough strength to attempt it. For us, it's been an automatic OR option. One time it was Tory's crisis and that did hurt. As a cylon, it's nice to force the top option as well, or via Helo's OPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
There are a lot of very swingy Crises in the deck. Things with flashy effects like Legendary Discovery or Cylon Genocide get the most attention, but even a simple ordinary Crisis like Colonial Day can be a 3-Morale swing depending on how the Skill Check turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the surprising ones of -2 morale for me...

Informing the Public 7YG
at least has an OR, but 50/50 to lose 1 morale and -1 pop

Low Supplies 7YG
'-1 morale. If food is less than 6, -1 additional morale.
As Tyrol, I spiked this one with a Establish Networks (from Exo) and 3 - Sci Res. Among the 4 other people who contributed, 3 of them drew blue, and there was another blue too which got doubled so it was easy to deflect accusations cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually had this card come up a few days ago and I have one major question. If this passes, does it kill Cylon Centurions?
We decided it didn't since it says Cylon ships and we figure they are no longer ships. Also, is a Battlestar considered a ship? So would it be destroyed and can a revealed Cylon activate a Battlestar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Centurions are not ships, and Galactica is not a cylon ship.

I have also noticed that in my mind "main game board" seems to always refer to the space areas of the main game board, or can someone remember anything that contradicts this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themaster408 wrote:
We actually had this card come up a few days ago and I have one major question. If this passes, does it kill Cylon Centurions?
We decided it didn't since it says Cylon ships and we figure they are no longer ships. Also, is a Battlestar considered a ship? So would it be destroyed and can a revealed Cylon activate a Battlestar?

Did you mean Basestar? Galactica and Pegasus (human ships) are Battlestars. The large six-pointed Cylon ships are Basestars.

Basestars are indeed considered Cylon ships and would be destroyed by this Crisis's pass result. The Cylon Fleet Location can likewise be used by revealed Cylons to activate Basestars (to either fire upon Galactica or launch two Raiders and one Heavy Raider). (Battlestar Galactica and Battlestar Pegasus are not Cylon ships, of course, and are not destroyed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it, thank you. Yes, I meant Basestars haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.