Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14899148

An interesting article which highlights a report from Unicef (found via a link in the article) showing how parents need to be giving more time to their kids, and not trying to fill in the blanks with stuff.
So working all the time to afford to pay for an xbox, not as good as taking a couple of hours off to play with them.
How does it affect the need for growing consumerism in a recession hit country?

Do Boardgames count as stuff? I guess they are ok, as you can play them with your kids. Although my 8 month old still can't handle the Navel rules in WIF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:

Do Boardgames count as stuff? I guess they are ok, as you can play them with your kids. Although my 8 month old still can't handle the Navel rules in WIF.

With an 8 month old, you might want to start with a block game. Blow up the stickers and map from Rommel In The Desert, put the stickers on some ubiquitous alphabet/number blocks (to allow for decreased dexterity) and have a go. From what I have heard this is a good game for getting the fundamentals of supply consideration firmly entrenched in their early strategic analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Greendan wrote:

An interesting article which highlights a report from Unicef (found via a link in the article) showing how parents need to be giving more time to their kids, and not trying to fill in the blanks with stuff.
So working all the time to afford to pay for an xbox, not as good as taking a couple of hours off to play with them.

Spot on. To a kid, time equals love.

Boardgaming with your kids is loving your kids meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I give them a lot of stuff and then spend a lot of time playing with that stuff with them?

Seriously though, from another angle, the kids really don't need the stuff. My kids at 3.5 and 5.5 would rather run around and jump on each other (and me) then sit and play with a toy. If it's a new toy they will play with it for awhile, but then forget about it.

An exception--TV and Video games. They will do this for hours if you let them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been computer gaming for a long time, back to the old Infocom text adventures. I played mostly Sid Meier's type strategy games and RPGs. When my kids were born, and as they grew I played with my kids as they sat on my knee.

I recently broke down and bought an Xbox 360 and large screen TV for the games.

Now I'm playing Mass Effect 1 and 2 with my now 14 year old daughter. She drives the MAKO and does the conversation tree choices, and I do the combat (That's how she wants to play it). While we play, we talk about pretty much anything. This morning before school and work we gamed for about an hour, and we ended up talking about Catch-22 and the nature of bureaucracy. It was as always a fun time together, Dad and daughter.

IMHO any activity can be a bonding one; computer games are not bad ways to spend your time, as long as there is balance. My kids play computer games cooperatively together, and the 14 and 10 year old teach the 6 year old.

My teenager and I could do this bonding over any activity. We both like gaming, so we share that activity togehther.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:

But buying them an Xbox and taking time off to play with them is just perfection!

But I think this is a "duh," moment. I have three healthy, intelligent, well-adjusted kids and I don't think it's because they've got stuff. I think it's because we do stuff with 'em, read with them, talk with them about just about anything, encourage them, discipline them, and basically remember that they're developing humans and not miniature adults.

My working theory is that lots of people confuse being friends with their kids with parenting their kids. A friend might let you come over to his house and play video games for hours. A parent will tell you that it's time to turn the GD TV off and go do something for a while. And volunteer to do something with you whenever they can. In the interest of having their kid's like them, they forget that they've got a job to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter received a Wii as a Christmas gift last year and plays sometimes on the pc.

She does not have a DS, cellphone, i-anything, or any other hot-must have gadget that even 4 & 5 year-olds seem to have. She likes to read, play games, do stuff outside, watch PBS kids' shows and DVDs.

Oh, she likes the Food Network and HGTV shows.

She's fine.........she's not deprived or missing anything in her life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:

Speaking of experience, Hive is a great game for a 8-month old. My 9 month old daughter loves chewing on the tiles. Gameplay is still a bit of a problem, though

And I whole-heartedly agree: Spend more time with your kids, but what is also important: leave them playing when they feel like it. I think it's a fine balance between stuff and time, depending on the child. I, for instance, didn't need a lot of social contact as a child, my Legos were enough and they kept me engaged until my 13th birthday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
My daughter received a Wii as a Christmas gift last year and plays sometimes on the pc.

She does not have a DS, cellphone, i-anything, or any other hot-must have gadget that even 4 & 5 year-olds seem to have. She likes to read, play games, do stuff outside, watch PBS kids' shows and DVDs.

Oh, she likes the Food Network and HGTV shows.

She's fine.........she's not deprived or missing anything in her life.

I wanted to add, that we--the adults--don't have any of these hot, shiny gadgets/gizmos either. I guess in households where the parents buy the latest everything, the kids get the trickle-down effect.

I actually heard and saw a parent scold her 4-year old for something he did. She said to him: "No playing with your DS for you today, buddy!" Both he and his 6-year old sister each had their own DS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.