Popular Tags: kardkutter [+] [View All]
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.lybrary.com/kardkutter-card-cutter-poker-sized-ca...

This seems to solve all my card cutting-out problems, taking what is currently a minute-per-card process down to probably a tenth of the time.

Has anybody tried this machine? Good feedback? Bad feedback?

EDIT - I bought one and reviewed it here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8500700
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if there are lines then a metal ruler and a sharp blade could be even faster. And cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When (for instance) cutting out 30+ A4 pages of cards, with 16 cuts per page, I find that I get quite sore. And when I try to do it quickly, the blade is more likely to wander away from the ruler :(

A machine that reliably makes four perfectly straight cuts at once seems like it would be a huge improvement - at least for somebody with my level of card-cutting skill and/or stamina!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
leaxe wrote:
if there are lines then a metal ruler and a sharp blade could be even faster. And cheaper.

For oen page you would be right. For 100, not so much. The beauty of this machine is that once you have it set up you can crank out the cards (pun intebded)

The short coming of this machine is there is no room or provision for bleed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
The short coming of this machine is there is no room or provision for bleed.

They have a version that costs $200 (cf $150) that has a 3mm bleed strip between each card!

I like borders on my cards, so would probably go for the cheaper option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I see. For 100 pages it makes sense. For a single deck, no.

For prototyping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wiles
United States
Oakland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't a digital cutter like the craft robo do this as well? It seems to me that for a little more money you could have a much more versatile machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wilesps wrote:
Wouldn't a digital cutter like the craft robo do this as well? It seems to me that for a little more money you could have a much more versatile machine.

From what I know of things like the craft robo - I don't own one, nor one of these - it would be a more versatile but much slower machine.

I'd guess it depends what you're after. If you're making one deck for a PnP game or something, it might be preferable to get a digital cutter 'cause you don't mind about speed and you can use it for other things later; if you're planning on churning out custom decks on a regular basis, it's probably better to get a device like this because it should dramatically lower the time taken.

Personally, my concern with stuff like this is whether you have to align the printing on the sheet accurately to start with... if you do, then it's not so useful a device at all. (And I can't imagine how it would work if you don't!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leaxe wrote:
Ok, I see. For 100 pages it makes sense. For a single deck, no.

For prototyping?

I'm going through a deckbuilding game phase at the moment. Designing, printing and cutting them out takes a bloody age!

Even pre-phase, pretty much everything I designed was heavily (if not completely) card based.

I think I need either a kardkutter or a good therapist, and therapists are far more expensive in the long run :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I only have two thoughts...

#1 this makes sense for someone expecting to make 200 decks of cards - that's 75 cents a deck, not unreasonable. But if you're making less you're paying a lot for a modest amount of convenience. For a little bit more you could get a die cutter and turn four passes into one and get rounded corners into the bargain.

#2 what kind of blades does it use and what does it cost to replace them? As mentioned, this only makes sense if you're going to do a couple hundred decks, and a couple hundred decks is eight hundred passes. That's about the limit for cheap steal rotary cutters. Are the blades even replaceable? At $150 it makes sense to ask this question...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poking around the site a bit I see they also have playing card stock, air cushioned like the US Playing Card Co uses for their decks (Bicycle, for example). Pricey if you're not buying lots, but I wonder if anyone here has tried using it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Andrew Walters' excellent suggestion, I contacted them to ask about the blade lifetime (assuming the 350gsm stock I'm partial to), and threw in a question about whether the blade position can be changed (just in case)...

Lybrary.com wrote:
Andrew,

The cut positions cannot be changed. This is a fixed size cutter.

350gsm is on the edge of what this cutter is supposed to cut. It is being tested with 350gsm and will cut it. I am just mentioning that in terms of guaranteed specs it is 320gsm.

The blades are self-sharpening and their lifetime is essentially 'your lifetime'. It is highly unlikely that you will work through the entire blades. The same blade module is used in automatic high speed cutters. They last for years in those automatic systems. Unless you cut 12 hours a day for several years you should not have any issues with sharpness. The blades only get damaged if you feed wood or really thick cardboard, or if you feed several sheets at once.

I've found that it takes me around 60 seconds per card to manually cut out sheets, and I reckon that using a device like this would bring that down to less than 10s. For a 400 card deckbuilding game, that's a saving of hours, plus wrists that hurt much less. If I value my time at £10 an hour, I only need to save 12 hours worth of cutting to make the machine worthwhile (US$190 to get the thing shipped here, converts to around £120) - 1000 cards (20ish standard decks, or three copies of a deckbuilding game) and I'm there!

I think I'll go for it, and report back on whether it turns out to be a good idea. Doubters may collectively reserve the right to call me a sucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can we send you our cards to cut?

Good luck! We await happy news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wasshuber
msg tools
KAndrew pointed me to this discussion. I am selling the KardKutter. I am happy to answer any questions you might have regarding it or any other card making tools and supplies I offer.

A brief explanation of why I offer this tool. I am actually primarily catering to magicians who print their own cards, usually trick cards, or cards which are special in some way. For a magician it is very important that these gaffed cards look, feel and behave just like regular cards. This was my starting point. With a lot of testing I have developed a DIY card making process that allows one to routinely make cards which are essentially indistinguishable from regular cards like the Bicycle brand you probably all know.

I realized that several key supplies and tools for making cards are not available or not readily available. That is why for example I am offering the KardKutter which was modified for me by the manufacturer to cut precisely a poker sized card 63mm x 88mm. This size is also used by many trading card manufacturers.

I am also to my knowledge the only one who is selling real playing card cardboard in small quantities. If it is important for you that a card feels like a playing card, the snap and spring, then this is the cardboard you have to use. Or the card coating. If you want a slick card that glides, fans, and shuffles well, then there is no other coating that you can buy in small quantities to achieve that then the one I offer.

As I wrote, I am happy to share all my experience making cards which I have to a large degree made available here http://www.lybrary.com/make-your-playing-cards-a-11.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has arrived! I have turned every piece of not-too-important paper on my desk into cards, and it's very cool. I'm looking forward to getting it home and trying it on some proper card stock.

An initial review to follow in a few days, then a more comprehensive one once I've had a chance to get some new print sheets made up to the correct dimensions (I always use 2.5" x 3.5", which is almost 2mm too much on the long edge)

I have also cemented my title as the hugest nerd in the office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
It has arrived! I have turned every piece of not-too-important paper on my desk into cards, and it's very cool. I'm looking forward to getting it home and trying it on some proper card stock.

An initial review to follow in a few days, then a more comprehensive one once I've had a chance to get some new print sheets made up to the correct dimensions (I always use 2.5" x 3.5", which is almost 2mm too much on the long edge)

The fact that you realize its not cool makes you a geek.

A nerd is under the impression that what he does is cool to other people. A geek knows better and doesn't give a sh@t.

I have embraced my inner geek like a warm blanket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
I start in a new office on Monday, I'm sure by Tuesday or Wednesday I'll also have this coveted title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Join us every Tuesday night at the Woking Gaming Club!
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:

I have also cemented my title as the hugest nerd in he office.

I'm also interested in the KardKutter but my wife does not let me buy it. I got the card stock from them and the corner rounder (great one by the way).

Please let us know how it went. Pictures would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preliminary review here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7658076#7658076

Better review early November, with double-sided cards and a higher quality camera!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.