Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

in a game yesterday ( of an SK2 scenario but this forum gets more traffic)
a lone US squad with a MMG went on a ROF tear, ending with a snakeyes 1,1

obviously doubles cower, and rof was achieved, BUT according to the RB , a unit that cowers is placed under final fire , and if under final fire is ineligible for further ROF.

Is that correct?

Luckily for me he left his 9-2 leader behind, otherwise it would have been a 0 result on the IIFT!

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play Starter Kits with IIFT? (nothing wrong with that, just curious)

Anyways, yes, that's right. ROF is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right. If the unit cowers, it looses ROF no matter what the result that caused the cowering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:

Anyways, yes, that's right. ROF is lost.

Of course, we are Canadian, dont all Canadians use the IIFT ?

I like it because it doesnt handicap weird and odd numbered squads , like 5-4-8s and 3-4-7s .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These weird squads were designed this way relative to the 447 so they would have different behaviours engaging in ranged fire than in close combat.

Example: 547 and 447 are equal in ranged combat but the former has the upper hand in close combat, thus forcing the player to use historical tactics to maximize this effect.

Using the IIFT you nullify this design-for-effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
Hipsu wrote:
Of course, we are Canadian, dont all Canadians use the IIFT ?

High five then! All Finns use the IIFT too (me included). I was in a Finnish ASL tournament some weeks ago and everyone used IIFT. Must have something to do with the latitude...

Don't listen to Marti! arrrhdevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This must be related to the daily sun hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
These weird squads were designed this way relative to the 447 so they would have different behaviours engaging in ranged fire than in close combat.

Example: 547 and 447 are equal in ranged combat but the former has the upper hand in close combat, thus forcing the player to use historical tactics to maximize this effect.

IIFT also is an official variant

plus it helps out things like the german HMG and squads being 4+7 and 11 total which drops to the 8 fp chart ( one of my pet peeves!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
plus it helps out things like the german HMG and squads being 4+7 and 11 total which drops to the 8 fp chart ( one of my pet peeves!)

The German HMG doesn't need the help, peeve or no. Please consider that John Hill knew of these effects when he designed the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
dude163 wrote:

The German HMG doesn't need the help, peeve or no. Please consider that John Hill knew of these effects when he designed the game...

Oh boy... an IFT vs IIFT debate...surprise run for cover!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if a squad is Final Fired, then any/all SW they are portaging are also final fired.

Why do the Finns use the IIFT? They don't need it. I personally don't care for using the IIFT. It seems more complicated. Plus, I agree, it seems like odd numbered FP units were probably created that way for a reason--the IIFT first came out in the '89 annual, correct me if I am wrong--which was waaay after the original SL came out.

There are many instances where there is no point in firing your LMG, for instance, because it won't get you onto a higher column. I think that is when you just use them for laying firelanes and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
Yeah, if a squad is Final Fired, then any/all SW they are portaging are also final fired.

All SW, including BAZ for instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
dude163 wrote:

I would agree if this was a Squad Leader Starter Kit , not Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
dude163 wrote:

I would agree if this was a Squad Leader Starter Kit , not Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit

Well, the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit has no IIFT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:

Did the designers also have the wish for the player to have the omni presence and control for his cardboard troops in a pitched firefight to add or subtract the use of a support weapon based upon if they could achieve the next column up on the IFT too.

I also think it is more complicated and unrealistic to add and subtract SW's and Squads from FG's to hit magic numbers for a limited fire table.
It only came out 4 years after ASL was published, so probably developed some time before that. Perhaps something recognized as needing change after a couple years of playing but introduced as a variant not to piss off a group of people already upset about all the changes from SL...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where could I find this IIFT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kade wrote:

At the IIFT store.

Seriously, it now comes with the ASL rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kade wrote:

The RB Chapter dividers or download IIFT pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
dude163 wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
dude163 wrote:

Well, the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit has no IIFT.

Mine does

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ireland
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gracious,

It is just a game.

The sun will rise in the east irregardless of using the IFT or IIFT.

I mentor/tutor Starter Kit players around the globe and I have them use the IFT because that is what comes in the box.

I don't want to introduce the alternate fire table until the player has a grasp of so many other issues.

If a player decides that he/she would rather use IIFT what should I care.

The object of the exercise is to get more players into the game.

Debating the strengths and weakness of each fire table is time spent not playing ASL or Starter Kit.

In the end they are just cardboard counters and will go back in the box or they are virtual counters and will go into the bit bucket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Debating ASL stuff is a healthy exercise for the mind!
Even when there is no definitive answer!

The SK were designed 21 years later than ASL and guess what... they did not use the IIFT.

Now, I use the IIFT in full ASL in all my scenarios featuring marine pararaiders versus black SS. All designed by the same mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

SS vs Marines, now we are talking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ireland
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those players that would like that specific rule on doubles, cowering,
and Fire Marker placement:

SKRB, "2.2.2 Fire Attacks:"

"Whenever a no-leader directed MMC attack rolls original doubles as the IFT resolution DR, it cowers and is resolved on the next lower column on the IFT and results in the cowering unit being marked with a Prep Fire or Final Fire counter (as appropriate)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.