United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Total games:2

Who played who?:My wife played her High Elf deck, and I played the Dark Elves.

Who beat who?:I won the first game, my wife won the second

First game:

This was actually the first time I'd used the Dark Elves with the booster/expansion cards. Out of all the races, they seem to have the most options for directly messing with your opponent. Their Support attachments are brutal if used correctly. I also like some of their tactics, like the one that lets you destroy all the units involved in the last battle. It makes for a nice bluff where you let your opponent through, and then you destroy them with a single card. The Dark Elves have a few "sacrifice this to gain that" cards, but it just felt like an inferior alternative to Chaos' corruption/sacrifice strategies, so I didn't center my deck around those sort of cards.

I started my first few turns by putting some cards in both my Kingdom and my Quest zones. In my Kingdom, I had the building that gave me the following ability:

At the beginning of your turn, return target unit with 2 or less HP to its owner's hand.

This card was very annoying to my wife and it foiled any efforts to rush her cheap cards to the table. However, she was still able to get her Shrugs-Off-All-Combat-Damage Swordsmen to the table (one of her favorite High Elf cards), and those are always a pain.

I had Fellkin (?) in my hand, the Hero unit who is wearing a golden mindflayer-esque helmet. For the next few turns (while we exchanged petty blows from our battlefield and built our economy), I added Developments to my battlefield because Fellkin's ability is:

At the beginning of your turn, reduce target unit's HP by 1 for each development you have in this zone.

Unless I was playing it wrong, when I targeted a unit and it reduced that unit to 0 HP, we considered it destroyed by non-combat damage. This kept my wife's Swordsmen off the table, which was a breath of fresh air. She had managed to get some Elven ships on the table (2 indirect damage each turn) but I had several passive/removal cards in play which kept her units down to a minimum. I added a Black Dragon Rider and the Cold One Chariot to the battlefield, but my wife had also managed to add some units of her own to the battlefield. She made excellent use of "Charge of the Silver Spears" which adds 3 Hammers but takes away 1 HP. This sliced up my Kingdom and Quest zones pretty good. I knew I had to wrap things up because the attrition from her Elven ships would take a toll if I dragged the game on too long.

But I had the advantage. Since I was able to remove up to two of her units each turn (one with Fellkin, the other with that building), she had a hard time defending, and eventually I just 9-damaged her Quest zone for the second burn and the win. Even though I felt like I had the advantage by dinging her with a lot of neat cards, the ending was very close because her Elven ships kept wearing me down. I definitely need to add in some spells that destroy Support cards. Once you have two of those Elven ships in play, the game becomes a countdown.

Second game:

My early setup was decent, but my wife did a great job of putting good cards on the table. Early on, she played that Elf woman Hero with the power:

At the beginning of your turn, return target unit to owner's hand unless owner pays you 2 resources.

So basically she had an aggressive "remove your card" strategy from the start, and it haunted me the entire game. I put a good number of units in my Kingdom and Quest zones, and once again we spent the first several turns exhanging petty blows.

As the game got rolling, I realized my Dark Elf deck needed some tuning: I had way too many Support and Tactic cards and not enough units. During an attack on my Kingdom, I lost all of my Units, and this crippled me for the rest of the game, because I couldn't restore my Kingdom while also staying on the offensive. My wife had rolled out some fantastic cards in her Kingdom, so she was never lacking in resources.

Once she put the War Crown on her Elf woman Hero (add a token to War Crown once per turn. Hammer +1 for each token on War Crown) she really began laying down the hurt on me. Because my Kingdom was in such bad shape, I was struggling to keep her at bay. Worse yet, I had pumped my Quest zone full of cards, so I was drawing 8 per turn (and still not getting the units I needed). I hadn't burned any of her zones, and she had already burned my Battlefield. I put up a valiant effort with cards like Capture (one target attacker becomes a defender) and some hex attachment that prevents the unit from attacking (which shut down her War Crown lady), but by then the damage was too much and she had momentum on her side. And of course by this point of the game she had managed to put an Elven ship into play, so I was constantly having to pick where I wanted to send damage (and Dark Elf units aren't exactly known for their HP).

To secure the win, she played her 10-cost spell that lets her bring all dead units from her discard on to the table. Ouch! 6 units all attacking at once for 10 damage (iirc). I couldn't do a think. My Kingdom burned, which gave my wife the win. I hadn't managed to burn a single one of her zones.

Final thoughts:

My wife plays the High Elves almost exclusively, so she's very aware of which cards work and which ones don't. She has a good foundational strategy with a few different options in her deck to adjust for the card draw. I think I won the first game because I got my momentum going earlier than she did, but if I was to compare the decks, her deck was overall better. She likely would have won a third game unless I got a great draw and she got a bad draw. Back to the drawing board, Dark Elves. More units, fewer Support/Tactics for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
St-Bruno
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
At the beginning of your turn, reduce target unit's HP by 1 for each development you have in this zone.

Yes you were right. Reducing HP is not combat damage. It's not even damage. It compares to MTG card where unit gets -1/-1 except that the WH:I version only targets the HP not the Power. It basically reduces the ammount available of HP. You could considered this as changing the value of the number in the Shield of the card (HP value).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
LesPatatas wrote:
Quote:

Yes you were right. Reducing HP is not combat damage. It's not even damage. It compares to MTG card where unit gets -1/-1 except that the WH:I version only targets the HP not the Power. It basically reduces the ammount available of HP. You could considered this as changing the value of the number in the Shield of the card (HP value).

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what we figured (that 0 HP = dead from non-combat damage). This definitely gives Dark Elves an interesting method of fighting indirectly. I wonder how viable a HP-drain/defensive deck would be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.