17 Posts

Dungeon Petz» Forums » General

Subject: Why is it spelled with a z? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why isn't it called Dungeon Pets? The Lords got the right spelling, so why should the pets don't get the same rights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is, why wasn't it Lordz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
referee wrote:
Why isn't it called Dungeon Pets? The Lords got the right spelling, so why should the pets don't get the same rights?

... so the threads like this could give the game the proper buzz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Petz are cuter than Lords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
referee wrote:

I dont think that IS the reason, but in Austria there was a childrens TV program called "family Petz". Here's a fun version of it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Meister Petz (Master Petz) is the name of the bear in German fables. I don't know if this is known outside of Germany, though Master Vlaada doesnt live too far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have preferred the more conservative Dungeon Pets as well.
Changing the s by a z is just so 'teenage girl'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Petz are much more Xtreme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And why wasn't 'Dungeon' spelt 'Dung-Eon' ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuz dats how da impz spellz it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They wanted to make sure they got across the right image for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a z over and s any day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ironically cutesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
joo der Petzibär!!!

I remember fondly. Maybe the series was broadcasted over the iron curtain to neighbouring czechoslovakia and influenced Vlaada in his name choice, now 20 years later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seems like past software raise a pet programs all had "petz" - think they are following that to make it obvious this is doing the same genre of raising and training creatures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
treece keenes wrote:
seems like past software raise a pet programs all had "petz" - think they are following that to make it obvious this is doing the same genre of raising and training creatures

You are probably right. The fact is - I started to call the game Dungeon Petz from the very start, as a working title, and it somehow made it until now.

And you know, you do not think too much about a working title. I just picked something that seemed to describe the game well. And although I never played any Catz, Dogz, or other Petz videogame, I was aware they exist, and that surely affected my choice here.

Btw: I doubt "Familie Petz" is to blame... I vaguely remember this bear pupet from my childhood, but I have no name assigned to it. The first German word I learned from Austrian TV I was sometimes watching as child is probably "Raumschiff"... Or, I could say "Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Raumschiff Enterprise"... as it took some time to realize most of these words are not German in fact...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vlaada wrote:
treece keenes wrote:

You are probably right. The fact is - I started to call the game Dungeon Petz from the very start, as a working title, and it somehow made it until now.

And you know, you do not think too much about a working title. I just picked something that seemed to describe the game well. And although I never played any Catz, Dogz, or other Petz videogame, I was aware they exist, and that surely affected my choice here.

Btw: I doubt "Familie Petz" is to blame... I vaguely remember this bear pupet from my childhood, but I have no name assigned to it. The first German word I learned from Austrian TV I was sometimes watching as child is probably "Raumschiff"... Or, I could say "Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Raumschiff Enterprise"... as it took some time to realize most of these words are not German in fact...

Looking forward to this - really enjoyed the rule book and fun themeing/art on Dungeon Lords - thanks for your work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.