Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some research and found some scattered information but I'm about to tackle it and some more precise input would be welcome, specially a game basics video tutorial (anyone besides bookshelf games?)

I've already tried playing quite some time ago and people enjoyed it quite a lot. I'm about to tackle MR again and I'm looking for a more visual help. I'm reading the plain english, heard the podcast, however I'm a pretty visual person and I've seen during my research some non-bookshelf video review.Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Fel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with the Bookshelf videos? They're the only ones I know of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you are a visual learner, I suggest running Realmspeak as a learning tool. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the karim's remake.

I used the podcast + realmspeak at first and it was going fine but at some point he lost me.

As for the video, He goes "the full way" and I was hoping for something more newbie-friendly (preferably using the remake board)

I guess I'll study the game myself and do a video for that matter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Burke
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FakeDutch wrote:
I have the karim's remake.
I used the podcast + realmspeak at first and it was going fine but at some point he lost me.

I experienced this very situation myself. I can't tell you how frustrated I was with RealmSpeak at first. However, even after saying that, I would still recommend that you stick with it over a physical copy. The reason is that it takes care of so many things for you the game would be impossible to learn correctly without it (or someone teaching you).

Have you downloaded a copy of the How-to-Play teaching guide? I found that following along with this while the podcast was playing helped me a bit.

Secondly, I had a really difficult time with combat starting out, and the podcast focused on a character that's all combat. Which was a large source of my frustration. Instead of playing with the Barbarian, switch to the Woods Girl or the Swordsman. These two characters can escape from just about everything in the game (with the L2** move chit), and starting with them helps you get movement down (and ease into combat).

I'd give it another go with the Woods Girl, and keep at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mjw65ss
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Realmspeak for sure. It is two zip files. Unzip them both into one folder and hit the run.bat file to fire it up then file-> new game. Super easy. BUT read your rules as needed while you play til you get the hang of it. Realmspeak handles everything for you except picking your character.
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
What's wrong with the Bookshelf videos? They're the only ones I know of...

The Bookshelf format just reads out loud the plain rules written by Joel with the visual aid of the original version.

Reading along is a daunting task and it's not like the game is being explained in a didatic way but just reading the manual with the game by its side.

It does help making the reading smoother but it's not my intent.

I'll try tackling Realmspeak once again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Burke
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you watched any of the character examples on bookshelf games? I've found them to be a great source of information on playing, game flow and tactics. There's also the 6-part review videos here on BGG that might be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any experienced MR player willing to do this?

I'm certainly in for a hefty ammount of geekgold for whoever is up to the task and I'm pretty sure other newbies would help as well.

I'm up to 100 GG for someone who would do a video walkthrough teaching the whole game, if someone elses joins my cause, and we go up to like 1k GG, i'm pretty sure one of the MR experts might get the cause.

I was able to do something here and there with RS but this "does everything for you" detracts the learning experience when you go for your physical copy of the Karim's Redesign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.