Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we adopted a little dauchsand/corgi mix about 2 years ago when he was about 1 years old. He's a fun little guy and though he can be willfull, learned some commands and for the most part is a great addition to the family.

However we do have one small issue that we can't seem to shake. While we are away for work in the day or sleeping in the overnight, he is kept in his own room (not a crate). Most days/nights he's fine and there is no issue, however I'd say once a week we find a substantial amount of pee in the room (usually in the same general corner of the room). He does not pee anywhere else in the house, and we can tell it's not "just marking" because of the amount of liquid each time. He spends a large amount of time outside every day, and we do our best to walk/take him to dog parks as well as take him with us when we're out and about. We even send him out as soon as he's eaten or drank to let him take care of urges right away.

While we were away on a longer vacation, he stayed with my stap sister who also owns a dog. They had zero issues with him, and said he never peed once in their house. In all fairness though, they have carpeted floors and we have hard wood floors. It could be that they just didn't notice, but my thoughts is that the other dog acted as a "distraction."

This development had us thinking... is it that the dog is unhappy? Does he just not respect us enough to care? Does he see his room as being the same as outside? Is it the whole "small dog" thing? Is it that we're NOT crating him?

Help Chit Chat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like separation anxiety. Dogs tend to get it fairly quickly. I mean, they don't even like to be left in the back yard for extended periods of time without wailing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try a crate instead of a seperate room for him at night or when you are away. My mini schnauzer loves his crate and spends time in it voluntarily when there arent more exciting things to do in the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
I would try a crate instead of a seperate room for him at night or when you are away. My mini schnauzer loves his crate and spends time in it voluntarily when there arent more exciting things to do in the house.

This is sound advice, especially for a weiner dog. They like closed in spaces - makes them feel safe. When my weiner dog isn't running around the house being a goofball, she is in my bed, burrowed underneath the covers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
This development had us thinking... is it that the dog is unhappy? Does he just not respect us enough to care? Does he see his room as being the same as outside? Is it the whole "small dog" thing? Is it that we're NOT crating him?

We had a similar situation with one of our two dogs.

We consulted a vet friend of ours who said that dogs are content with their crates as long as they can stand up in it and turn around with relative ease. She went on to say that it's okay to keep the dog in a crate for an extended amount of time... with exercise of course.

That being said... our other dog looks at his crate as his "room" and feels comfortable in it. My wife and I have a rule that we don't even mess with stuff in the crate other than to clean it... it is his territory.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Ugh...I tried to kennel our pug when we got him, but my wife gave in on the second night. Recently he had decided that he sleeps across my pillow and I can be content with whatever little corner he leaves me--kind of like how the wife is with the bed in general...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Sounds like separation anxiety. Dogs tend to get it fairly quickly. I mean, they don't even like to be left in the back yard for extended periods of time without wailing.

Weird. As long as it is nice outside, my dogs love sitting in my backyard, rolling around and lying in the sun.

(And killing the occasional vole or field mouse that dares enter their domain)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:

Weird. As long as it is nice outside, my dogs love sitting in my backyard, rolling around and lying in the sun.

Tell that to my neighbors dog, whining all hours of the day and night.

My dog was great, never barked...Maybe it was because he was a Basenji.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dog has tremendous separation anxiety -- she won't even go outside unless someone else goes first (and even then, it's difficult).

She, actually, never has an accident in the house (and there are times it's 10-12 hours before she goes out -- not on purpose; we'll come home and try to take her out, and she'll refuse... and we'll wait ... and wait ...)

We tried a crate with her the first night, and she nearly flipped it over. She now has her own pillow bed and the foot of our bed, and she's perfectly contented to just lay there, in our presence.

In general though, she's plain awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

It isn't so bad if there is more than one of them. Also they probably know that you are not too far away (which you can't be because you know they are rolling around and lying in the sun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we're on the fence with crating. It just seems so cold. but if that's what the main difference between what my step sister did and what we do, it might be the answer.

I don't know if its seperation anxiety, as he's usually very willing to go to his room and we never make a big deal about leaving for work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
He obviously needs a robot companion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Yeah we're on the fence with crating. It just seems so cold. but if that's what the main difference between what my step sister did and what we do, it might be the answer.

I don't know if its seperation anxiety, as he's usually very willing to go to his room and we never make a big deal about leaving for work.

Do it. Doxies love crates; as mentioned above, they are bred to love cramped quarters. We have two dachshunds and if given the option of running around outside, puttering around the house, or squeezing into a confined space between furniture, they will choose number 3 every time.

Our one doxie will not only go in his crate, but will pull his blanket over his head each and every night.

I know your pet isn't 100$ weener dog, but crate-training helps most dogs. It is their "home" a place, unlike, say a pillow or a spot on the sofa, that they feel is their own. It can be a bigger crate if you're concerned about space, but I think it's a good idea.

And doxies are weird with housebreaking. When we got ours, we were told that it could take up to a year. Our first one picked it up in like three months, if that. Our second one, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kimes

Fort Wayne
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also suggest a crate but they make water bowls and food bowls that you can add to the inside of the crate. If you feed your pet in the crate they will take to it much quicker. Also I would recommend you crate your pet for short intervals while you are home so they don't see it as punishment when you aren't home.

My dogs will often go lay in their crate even when I am home with the crate door wide open. It really is their own haven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meredyth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A crate is the way to go. Dogs dig dens for themselves, so a safe comfy place to spend time alone is actually reassuring to them, not torture. Just please make sure that you read up on the proper way to introduce the crate. It can take many weeks and, if done correctly, they will voluntarily crawl in to take naps or get away from any chaos.

Also, Doxies are hunting dogs. So, plenty of exercise is a necessity. (Exercise does not mean throwing them in the back yard). Lure training, extended walks, search and find jobs are all adequate. Doxies have lots of energy. Remember that these dogs were bred to hunt badgers, they are feisty dogs and Corgis are herders! Wear your baby out, I mean really wear him out, and he will have less problems.

Also, some illnesses, like diabetes and UTIs, can cause problems like what you described. A check by the vet is the first thing you should do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Oliveira
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeryMer wrote:
A crate is the way to go. Dogs dig dens for themselves, so a safe comfy place to spend time alone is actually reassuring to them, not torture. Just please make sure that you read up on the proper way to introduce the crate. It can take many weeks and, if done correctly, they will voluntarily crawl in to take naps or get away from any chaos.

Also, Doxies are hunting dogs. So, plenty of exercise is a necessity. (Exercise does not mean throwing them in the back yard). Lure training, extended walks, search and find jobs are all adequate. Doxies have lots of energy. Remember that these dogs were bred to hunt badgers, they are feisty dogs and Corgis are herders! Wear your baby out, I mean really wear him out, and he will have less problems.

Also, some illnesses, like diabetes and UTIs, can cause problems like what you described. A check by the vet is the first thing you should do.

100% Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
(not a crate).

I think this is probably your problem. A lot of dogs don't mind being crated... I know mine will run down to his crate and get in it if I tell him to "go to bed".

They're generally not going to pee in their own space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am amazed at how well our 4 year old beagle took to her crate immediately. Our first beagle did also.

Get a crate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.